Page 4 of 96 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I'm in - screw the calendar, this is the first week of spring!
    Seriously.

And today is going to be 65 degrees. I'm ready to dust off the ol' glove.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Seriously.

And today is going to be 65 degrees. I'm ready to dust off the ol' glove.
    I'd love to dust off my old glove, if I only had someone to play catch with. Scott how good is your arm? Can you reach north of Pittsburgh?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Lemme practice my windup

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Only 8 days until games begin!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Only 8 days until games begin!
    YEAHHHHHH!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Will Facelift argue with himself about the Yankees and their management now that ronmac is no longer a participant? Will another Yankees fan step up to the plate and take on the challenge?? Hmmm....

Yes, their debates needed the calming presence of the late Thomas Arena and I'm saying that in all seriousness.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Darvish, two year opt out.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I can only hope that team owners have finally figured out that THEY can always find players to suit up for them but players/agents who think they are top shelf cannot always find a team who will want them or are willing to pay their asking price. I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with a player/agent asking for $1B for 30 years. I do find fault with the owner who agrees to these terms. Maybe the fact that I've voicing this opinion at this time is due to the volatility of the stock market but if I am correct in my view of the tipping balance between owners and players/agents, I believe baseball may be experiencing the same kind of correction that is good for the sport and for the source of the sport's wealth: the fan.

If anyone challenges my opinion with the argument that people won't be willing to pay to see mediocre players I shall counter with the history of the Brooklyn Dodgers, the Chicago Cubs, and the New York Metropolitans.
    Well said. Would love to see a correction caused by the fan saying enough is enough, two tickets and something to eat shouldn't be so expensive. But I'm not holding my breath.

I agree with others that said the offseason is slow because teams may be thinking that these mega contracts don't always work and when they don't they can really hamper a team for years. It also doesn't help when the Yankees and a couple other normally big spenders have decided to sit this year out. See me next year when Harper and all hit the market to see if this is a trend or just a year to reload the bank.
    Last edited by Tangram; 02-16-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Will Facelift argue with himself about the Yankees and their management now that ronmac is no longer a participant? Will another Yankees fan step up to the plate and take on the challenge?? Hmmm....
    I have no desire to argue with anyone. However, if I state the truth and someone wants to present themselves as an obstacle to the truth, I may make note of it. If one particular obstacle is now gone, all the better for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Well said. Would love to see a correction caused by the fan saying enough is enough, two tickets and something to eat shouldn't be so expensive. But I'm not holding my breath.

I agree with others that said the offseason is slow because teams may be thinking that these mega contracts don't always work and when they don't they can really hamper a team for years. It also doesn't help when the Yankees and a couple other normally big spenders have decided to sit this year out. See me next year when Harper and all hit the market to see if this is a trend or just a year to reload the bank.
    I'm sure that the analytical guys aren't just applying their expertise to stats but to contracts, as well. It's probably becoming clear that you don't get value from these long-term deals.

now that ronmac is no longer a participant.
    What did I miss?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    What did I miss?
    He got a timeout for political misbehavior - will be back well before opening day.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Speaking of the Yankees, has anyone here read the recent biography of Billy Martin (can't remember the name)? I was thinking of getting it. As a Twins fans growing up and going to a few games at the old Met in the late 60s, Billy Martin was a Twins coach and then Twins manager in 1969(his first managerial job) when they won the new AL Western Division. Then, true to his nature, he got into a bar brawl that involved his own players and was fired after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    He got a timeout for political misbehavior - will be back well before opening day.
    Ahhhh.....Thanks!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm sure that the analytical guys aren't just applying their expertise to stats but to contracts, as well. It's probably becoming clear that you don't get value from these long-term deals.
    You're definitely right although it doesn't take rocket science to see that the contracts of Ellsbury, Pavano, Collins, Brown, Irabu, igawa, the Big Unit, Clemens the last time, the last couple of years for Posada , half of Teixiara contract etc, could build a very good farm system.

I would like to see all of the Yankee FA signings over the years to see all of the hits and misses. Or baseball in general. Like you stated, that's probably what the digitheads did.

You're definitely right although it doesn't take rocket science to see that the contracts of Ellsbury, Pavano, Collins, Brown, Irabu, igawa, the Big Unit, Clemens the last time, the last couple of years for Posada , half of Teixiara contract etc, could build a very good farm system.

I would like to see all of the Yankee FA signings over the years to see all of the hits and misses. Or baseball in general. Like you stated, that's probably what the digitheads did.
    Everybody knows they're probably going to get killed on the back ends of these contracts - that's practically a given. However, this was deemed to be a fair recompense for getting plug-and-play star production for the first 2/3 - 3/4 of the contract. The market value for a star in his prime who you know is going to play like a star in his prime for awhile (absent an injury) is enormous. It's the contracts where the signing team doesn't even get this (or doesn't get it for long enough) that really makes these contracts taste bad. Like Luis Pujols, for example, Or Bobby Bonilla for the Mets. Or Ellsbury for the Yankees. Frankly, Texeira, too. Texeira was being by the Yankees to be a perennial MVP candidate and he never really lived up to that.

The best long-term FA contracts the Yankees gave out were probably Mussina and Sabathia's.

Like you stated, that's probably what the digitheads did.
    Yep.

Brian Kenny and Fangraphs have been talking about this for years. Here's an interview with Kenny in 2011, right before Pujols signed his 10-year (!!!) contract:
    https://www.boston.com/sports/untagg...or_brian_kenny
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Cool. Mods, I have some additional representatives you may like to consider as well.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen

Well, it is the Yankees...

Looks to me like NY wants to be Philly now.

This will be the first year in many many years that we will not be on vacation in Florida during Spring Training. My buddy, who works at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, was sending me pictures of the field earlier today.

That's it? I'm away for two weeks and only a handful of posts? Did anyone see that monster shot Sanchez hit over the score board yesterday?

Plenty of time to waste on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I have no desire to argue with anyone. However, if I state the truth and someone wants to present themselves as an obstacle to the truth, I may make note of it. If one particular obstacle is now gone, all the better for the truth.
    Sorry to break your heart, Mr. Commissioner. But, the truth will live on!

Miguel Andujar may be the best hitter within the state of Florida, and his sights remain set upon convincing the Yankees that he should be their Opening Day third baseman.

Not my quote, but, he's really looking good. Four HRs in three games.