Page 45 of 96 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

Nothing new. Teams have been doing this for a while to get an extra season of control out of their young players. Is it fair? Maybe not. But, like I tell my kids, "Fair is a place where they judge hogs for ribbons." It must be a real drag to have to wait an extra year for that multi-million-dollar guaranteed contract to play a game.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nothing new. Teams have been doing this for a while to get an extra season of control out of their young players. Is it fair? Maybe not. But, like I tell my kids, "Fair is a place where they judge hogs for ribbons." It must be a real drag to have to wait an extra year for that multi-million-dollar guaranteed contract to play a game.
    I think I'm more outraged at the blatant manipulation of the system. I'm not crying for the athlete (though I'm definitely on their side of the matter). I just hate that these decisions are made for financial and not baseball reasons.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think I'm more outraged at the blatant manipulation of the system. I'm not crying for the athlete (though I'm definitely on their side of the matter). I just hate that these decisions are made for financial and not baseball reasons.
    Yep. EVERYTHING is decided for financial reasons these days.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Would have been nice to talk to the player before spouting off to the media about it. Class act there. I guess St. Louis does have some flaws in their organization. Who'd have thunk it?

Kinda Steinbrennerish.
    The "article" cited is from the Cubs fan web site. Not exactly an unbiased take as Giddy Cub Fan Guy everywhere continue to cathartically release their over 100 year build-up of rage and jealousy of the Cardinals franchise in the wake of their "even the blind squirrel finds the nut once in awhile" celebration of a long absent title. But yeah, the GM/Pres called him out, along with others. Wants people to look in the mirror. I think Bowtie needs to look in the mirror, and I've been calling HIM and the owner DeWallet out for years as the Cardinals have declined into mediocrity, so you can stop with painting with the singular broad brush. After all, it was Bowtie who made the decision to sign him and put this roster together. As for the fans, they have been remarkably patient with Fowler contrary to the Cubs fan website spin, despite what is a brutal 3 months of baseball. He had a great second half last year, so there is hope, but this decline doesn't bode well.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Another grand slam today by the suddenly kinda mighty Redlegs!
    From Jayson Stark:

No team hit 9 grand slams all last season.

The #Reds have hit 9 just in the last 6 weeks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The "article" cited is from the Cubs fan web site. Not exactly an unbiased take as Giddy Cub Fan Guy everywhere continue to cathartically release their over 100 year build-up of rage and jealousy of the Cardinals franchise in the wake of their "even the blind squirrel finds the nut once in awhile" celebration of a long absent title. But yeah, the GM/Pres called him out, along with others. Wants people to look in the mirror. I think Bowtie needs to look in the mirror, and I've been calling HIM and the owner DeWallet out for years as the Cardinals have declined into mediocrity, so you can stop with painting with the singular broad brush. After all, it was Bowtie who made the decision to sign him and put this roster together. As for the fans, they have been remarkably patient with Fowler contrary to the Cubs fan website spin, despite what is a brutal 3 months of baseball. He had a great second half last year, so there is hope, but this decline doesn't bode well.
    Such drama.

Such drama.
    Not even close to anything Steinbrennerish/B Martinish/ARoidish....

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Not even close to anything Steinbrennerish/B Martinish/ARoidish....
    I'm referring to your drama, bro.

Lol, I didn't bring the subject up, just stating the facts in response to the snark.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    From Jayson Stark:

No team hit 9 grand slams all last season.

The #Reds have hit 9 just in the last 6 weeks!
    Wow!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I remember fondly when Don Mattingly hit six grand slams in one season all by himself.

I actually like the Marlins 4th of July caps they're wearing today.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was going to ask - is the wearing special 4th of July garb a new thing? Because last night the Yanks and especially the Red Sox looked pretty ridiculous. I could see if they had just the logo on their caps done up, but the rest was too much, and a little distracting.

I'm watching the Marlins vs Tampa game. They keep replaying the meltdown the Gomez kid in the dugout. Hilarious, and kinda disturbing.....

I find it interesting that just about every team with a winning record is discussed, fawned over or dissed WITH ONE GLARING EXCEPTION (& they're 15 games over .500 right now).

As a rule, I'm one of the least vindictive people you'll ever meet, but I must admit that IF Milwaukee gets to and succeeds in the post-season (they don't have to win the WS for it to be a successful season), you may even be able to see my smirking online.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yankees' Kyle Higashioka took about 22 ABs until he got his first hit. It was a home run. Two days later, he got his second hit, another HR. Today, he got his third, yet another dinger.

Yankees' Kyle Higashioka took about 22 ABs until he got his first hit. It was a home run. Two days later, he got his second hit, another HR. Today, he got his third, yet another dinger.
    In bowling they call that strike or no count.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'll take the win. I don't care that the Marlins "suck.: We won today. And Tampa threw up on themselves.

If you're hoping your team trades for Manny Machado, this may take some of the air out of your bellows:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ere-helps-most

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you're hoping your team trades for Manny Machado, this may take some of the air out of your bellows:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ere-helps-most
    I don't NY going after him at all. They don't need him.

I'd love to see the Phillies get him. He could really help their lineup and infield. But, I have no interest in a rental. They're more than one player away. I'll give up players/prospects if he'd be willing to sign an extension, but all reports indicate that he's not interested in doing that. So, I'd rather just open the vaults for him after the season.

I don't think the Brewers are at all interested in Machado, since he can't pitch 6 innings every 5 days.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I don't think the Brewers are at all interested in Machado, since he can't pitch 6 innings every 5 days.
    The Brewers should certainly be buyers this year. Who are they looking at, Geez? Happ? Hamels?

The argument can be made that the ESPN article on the Machado difference misses the point...That his real value would be in the postseason, where he would add a valuable bat, as well as applying pressure to the opposing staff by making it harder to pitch around the star hitters currently on the team that acquires him. But, as Scott pointed out, he's a rental. How much future are you willing to mortgage for a rental? If I'm making the call, I better be damn sure we're one player away from the trophy. And it's Baseball. Can anyone every really say that?

Aaron Nola is a stud.