Page 44 of 96 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

Anderson home run. Tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Marlins vs. Mets.
    The race to the bottom continues.

I'd feel sorry for the Mets (they do seem to be a horribly snake-bit franchise) but I recall a moment in time - one of those things that happen on the rarest occasions and was quickly gone - a few years ago, when the Mets' fortunes were on the rise and the Yankees were in no-man's land and seemingly every Met fan in town took the opportunity to dance upon what they falsely imagined to be the Yankees' grave and, starry-eyed, were taking to the airwaves to talk about how the Mets were going to be the team of NYC for the next 8-10 years while the Yankees spun in circles getting older and going downward, etc. etc.

Well, that lasted about a year and a half.

I have no problem with the Mets doing well, but considering what that does to their boorish fans, it's nice to see order restored. The Yankees are on pace to win 110 games and Mets are hurtling towards the center of the earth.

I'll take the win. It's sports. Not important.

Reds have hit 8 grand slams already this year. Two of them by pitchers!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The race to the bottom continues.

I have no problem with the Mets doing well, but considering what that does to their boorish fans, it's nice to see order restored. The Yankees are on pace to win 110 games and Mets are hurtling towards the center of the earth.
    Wait--you're calling Mets fans "boorish"? .
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-01-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Another grand slam today by the suddenly kinda mighty Redlegs!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yee-ha!!! Nice first inning for the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yee-ha!!! Nice first inning for the Yanks.
    They own Price.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They own Price.
    Weird series. Each team alternating for blowouts.

At the end of the weekend series and with half the season now gone, both teams still tied at the top.

Braves sweep Cards in STL. They have the best record in the NL. They have a bullpen leaking like a sieve. Are they the best team in the NL?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Braves sweep Cards in STL. They have the best record in the NL. They have a bullpen leaking like a sieve. Are they the best team in the NL?
    I don't think that there are any standout NL teams so far this year. IMO the Cubs and Diamondbacks are the best teams in the NL, but it's not by much. The Braves have taken one of baseball's easiest schedules to this point and done well for themselves with it, though. They're certainly in the mix to possibly be the best team in the NL by the end of the season. The 15-game stretch that they started on Friday that takes them into the All Star break should be revealing about how real they are. 3-0 was a great way to start it off, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'd feel sorry for the Mets
    This isn't possible for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Another grand slam today by the suddenly kinda mighty Redlegs!
    I'm loving this, with the Reds. It's a great story. I hope they continue to rip it up.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    If not, they're damn close. It's tough to tell, with their schedule (as Facelift points out) and their youth, but they're really good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This will be a very interesting few weeks before the trading deadline.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quite a series in the Bronx this past weekend and atypical, as well. Usually, the games are back-and-forth. But each one was a blow-out. Very odd.

The Phillies did something this weekend that they haven't done since 1928: They used their bullpen for at least 7 innings for three games in a row. And still took three of four from the Nats.

Still holding on to that last Wild Card spot. I'd love to see them catch the Braves, but they just can't seem to, yet.

The trade deadline should be very interesting, given some of the unusual teams that are in the hunt this year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Rays have been using a start-by-committiee approach for a portion of their rotation. I'm not sure of all the specifics, but it's quite odd and doesn't help a whole lot when you go deep into extra innings.

WRT the trading deadline, Yankees need two starters and Jacob deGrom's name has been tossed around. They have lots of talent to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The Rays have been using a start-by-committiee approach for a portion of their rotation. I'm not sure of all the specifics, but it's quite odd and doesn't help a whole lot when you go deep into extra innings.
    Tampa Bay's pitching ranks since May 19 [when they began the "start-by-committee approach"]
    • First in ERA (2.87)
    • First in opposing batting average (.205)
    • First in on-base percentage (.282)
    • First in slugging percentage (.338)
    • First in wOBA (.271)
    • First in ground ball rate (46.6 percent)

https://www.mlb.com/news/rays-have-m...mo/c-283077264

There's no telling how this will play out in the longterm. As you note, this could be potentially damaging on the 'pen should they play extra innings. But, then again, that's true for every team.

The argument against this approach basically boils down to this: No one has tried this before.

I can't remember what I was watching (I mean, besides baseball), but one commentator said there are not 150 MLB-quality starters out there anymore. IF that's the case, then why not try something like this? The Rays certainly don't have five quality starters (Blake Snell is awesome, and then there's some other guys). Maximize what you've been given and try to win.

^^ Well, that's pretty impressive. Certainly good enough to turn a mediocre team into a .500 one.

Are the Rays the team that is beginning their games with a bullpen guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Are the Rays the team that is beginning their games with a bullpen guy?
    Yep. I think the Padres have tried it, too.

It will be interesting to see if they can sustain that over a longer period of time.

I'm curious to see other reactions. For example, starting pitcher salaries will feel threatened. Some pitchers may get over-used. The union likely wouldn't be happy. Also, if this became a trend, would it make the NL going to the DH more likely or less likely?

Would have been nice to talk to the player before spouting off to the media about it. Class act there. I guess St. Louis does have some flaws in their organization. Who'd have thunk it?

Kinda Steinbrennerish.