Page 32 of 96 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

They didn't let McCarver try to squat, did they?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Nah, he stood with knees bent a bit, but Gibby still threw a strike.

Tim McCarver is one of the few players, if not the only one, who played during four decades (1959-1980)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, I remember being very surprised when I first saw his BRef bio that the Cards brought him up for a few games when he was only 17. He didn't do anything his first 3 years, then I think was sent down to the minors for a full year, and from then on (63) he was a pretty productive player and obviously a good catcher. Had some key WSeries moments. Gibson's famous line about McCarver was, when McC came out to the mound to try to talk strategy on how to pitch to a hitter, Gibson would get irritated and tell McC "the only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it. Now get back behind the plate." Of course, they are very close friends all these years.

Carlton has been back for both the 67 and 68 reunions the last 2 years, and I always think of what might have been if Gussie Busch had just given Carlton the $25,000 raise he wanted in the early 70s. (there was a smattering of Phiilies fans in the crowd and I hope they appreciated seeing Carlton and appreciate the gift the Cards gave them). Gussie was irritated at Curt Flood battling the reserve clause which eventually led to free agency later, and with a team that had been as successful as the Cards coming off WS wins and 3 pennants, players were demanding higher salaries, and Busch decided to be a tightwad with some of them like Flood and Carlton, and he soured on those guys, and eventually traded Carlton (and Flood) instead of paying them more.

They also traded a highly regarded local kid---Jerry Reuss, also over a small dispute in $$. Of course what Carlton went on to do was legendary in the 70s/early 80s, and Reuss played for 20 years and won over 200 games. The Cards always had pretty good hitting teams in the 70s, but inconsistent and sometimes very weak pitching. If Busch hadn't been so foolish, w Carlton and Reuss in the rotation in the 70s (along with Gibson in the earIy 70s, and then Bob Forsch) I think they would have won multiple division titles and maybe a few pennants.

--Now back to your regularly scheduled program....
    Last edited by DocProgger; 05-20-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    (there was a smattering of Phiilies fans in the crowd and I hope they appreciated seeing Carlton and appreciate the gift the Cards gave them).
    Oh, we do. That's still regarded as one of the greatest trades in Philadelphia sports history.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Brewers 10 games over .500 in 1st place 1.5 ahead of the Bucs. Last night Yelich homered in the top of the 8th to break a 4-4 tie and then Superhader came in and pitched to 7 batters (1 walk, 6 strikeouts) to seal the deal. 7-2 on the current road trip w/one game left today. Hader's stats are (according to SI now-the word they used) otherworldly.

It's early, but it's fun, and this is without both Thames for the past 2 weeks (& Braun the last 5 games).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Today's fun trivia fact...

Since 1900, there has been only one triple header played. It was on the last day of the season in 1920, between the Reds and Pirates.
    The two teams were battling for position in the standings, which would result in a higher cash payout for the eventual higher seed.
    Pretty amazing, since these all had to be day games, as it was well before the lights were introduced.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Today's fun trivia fact...

Since 1900, there has been only one triple header played. It was on the last day of the season in 1920, between the Reds and Pirates.
    The two teams were battling for position in the standings, which would result in a higher cash payout for the eventual higher seed.
    Pretty amazing, since these all had to be day games, as it was well before the lights were introduced.
    Sounds like a fun day. I bet a lot of beer was sold that day.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Sounds like a fun day. I bet a lot of beer was sold that day.
    No doubt there!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Fucking Zigler. Our lead is eroding.

Aaaand we lost. We threw up in the 9th inning. Fuck me.

Odubel Herrera has a 45-game on-base streak. He's also leading the NL in batting average. I think the kid has finally arrived.
    It looks like Herrera is going to be a good hitter (streak in jeopardy as I type this), but his AB habits are excruciatingly time wasting. In and out of the batters box, constantly stepping out, kicking dirt around, calling for time etc. He's a human rain delay, and we had enough of those this weekend. He was driving me nuts. Weird batting stance too. Santana not much better.

On the positive side for Cards (shouldn't have blown the Sat game)--this Flaherty kid who pitched today is going to be a good one.(13 Ks, first MLB win)

edit--sheesh, Herrera keeps his streak going in 9th on a wild pitch K w 2 outs, beat the throw to 1B.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 05-20-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Meanwhile, dem Yanks keep chugging along. Looks like a long battle with dem Bosox, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Meanwhile, dem Yanks keep chugging along. Looks like a long battle with dem Bosox, too.
    The season is young, but 1/4 in, these are the two best teams in the league right now.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with my comment.
    Of course it does. You said "in fact, for a first place team, they have several hitters with very low averages," drawing a link between how well a team is playing and the batting averages of the players.

But, in fact, batting average has nothing to do with how good team's offense it. It is a statistic with very little value, and doesn't correlate to how good or bad a team is, or how good or bad a player is.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post

edit--sheesh, Herrera keeps his streak going in 9th on a wild pitch K w 2 outs, beat the throw to 1B.
    That doesn't count, apparently. His streak is over (I guess I jinxed him). I'm assuming that, because he was technically "out," that it doesn't count? Baseball scoring rules are odd sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Of course it does. You said "in fact, for a first place team, they have several hitters with very low averages," drawing a link between how well a team is playing and the batting averages of the players.
    Not quite. My entire comment was:

There's been some bad luck, too. In fact, for a first place team, they have several hitters with very low averages. I can't imagine what they'd be like if they were playing on all cylinders.
    My point was that they are a first place team DESPITE their low averages. I did the opposite of drawing a link between standings and batting averages.

It seems clear to me that their standing isn't solely based on batting averages. My further point was what they would be like IF they were ALL playing on all cylinders.

Braves release Jose Bautista to make room for a .226 hitter.

That doesn't count, apparently. His streak is over (I guess I jinxed him). I'm assuming that, because he was technically "out," that it doesn't count? Baseball scoring rules are odd sometimes.
    If that's the case, then I don't understand what an on base streak is. He ended up getting on base, albeit by in essence an error or wild pitch. If he's safely on base, you'd think that would count.

In other fascinating breaking news, apparently Ted Williams hitting .406 in a season, and Ty Cobbs career .366 BA doesn't provide us with any statistical evidence or information whatsoever regarding their value as a hitter when comparing them to say, Mark Belanger and Ed Brinkman.
    Where's that eye roll emoji--LMFAO. The Brian Kenny Fanclub farts out another gem.

^ Well, Mark Belanger had to contend with getting screwed by the umpires for most of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Well, Mark Belanger had to contend with getting screwed by the umpires for most of his career.
    Yep, that conspiracy against the Orioles goes back decades.

Braves release Jose Bautista to make room for a .226 hitter.
    Braves released Bautista because he was a reclamation project that wasn't worth reclaiming, and Johan Carmargo proved over the weekend (and at the end of last season) that he's more than capable of manning third--until, that is, top-prospect Austin Riley is ready.

I'm assuming the Braves signed Bautista because they thought they could spin him at the trade deadline for something. Either that or Anthopolous, his GM in Toronto, felt he owed him a favor.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

I'm assuming the Braves signed Bautista because they thought they could spin him at the trade deadline for something. Either that or Anthopolous, his GM in Toronto, felt he owed him a favor.
    Probably both. It was a very low-risk, potentially high-reward move.

Not quite. My entire comment was:

My point was that they are a first place team DESPITE their low averages. I did the opposite of drawing a link between standings and batting averages.
    By making this statement, you implied that this was something notable, because it would be less likely to occur than if their averages were higher. But the two have nothing to do with each other either way. They have players with low batting averages, but whose OBP is fine. They also have a player with a good batting average, but who is last on the team in terms of OBP (Andujar).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Here we go again.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.