Page 24 of 96 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Brewers go into Wrigley and hold the Cubs to 9 runs total in 36 innings, but they manage to score only 2 runs total in those same innings, lose all 4 and get shutout 3 times after winning 8 straight. 1-7 against the Cubs so far (more than half their losses).

Oy Vey
    Wait Til Next Year
    It's Still early
    Pitching's Been Great & Bats Will Come Around
    Wild Card's Still OK
    85 Wins Might Be High

Pick one or more.
    Yeah, I definitely did not see that coming; going in I thought a split would have been a perfectly fine outcome for the Cubs. But like you say, it's very early, and September baseball is a different kettle. I'll still be nervous about seeing the Brewers late in the season.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Brewers go into Wrigley and hold the Cubs to 9 runs total in 36 innings, but they manage to score only 2 runs total in those same innings, lose all 4 and get shutout 3 times after winning 8 straight. 1-7 against the Cubs so far (more than half their losses).

Oy Vey
    Wait Til Next Year
    It's Still early
    Pitching's Been Great & Bats Will Come Around
    Wild Card's Still OK
    85 Wins Might Be High

Pick one or more.
    Fret not sir! Remember, you are about to play the Reds!!!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Lucky for you guys, I don't give daily updates. Otherwise, it would be all about the nine-game winning streak from the best offense in the game. Now, they go into Houston on a roll, but not all cylinders. This could be a fun series. Or not.

But, like I stated, lucky for you I don't mention it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Corey Seager is out for the year with elbow issues. He's going to have Tommy John season.

Tough loss for the Dodgers.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    See?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    . Otherwise, it would be all about the nine-game winning streak from the best offense in the game.
    A very impressive offense indeed. The team ops of .789 is impressive, and 168 runs scored just tops the Sox's offense.

Both teams, Boston and NYY, are ahead of the NL leader in runs scored and OPS. The NL leader in runs scored has 154 (14 behind NYY, 9 behind Boston) and an OPS of .783 (.6 behind NYY and .2 behind Boston).

Oh, and the NL leader in those categories (quite obviously) plays each and every game with one less hitter in the line-up.

And, yeah, it's a good thing I don't provide daily updates either, or I might have to mention this team with a certain frequency worthy of their offensive production.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This is not a daily update, as it happened the day before yesterday. I wouldn't mention it except for the fact that it is a record setting event.

On Mon. night against the Reds, Brewer Josh Hader became the first pitcher (starting or reliever) in MLB history to strike out 8 batters in less than 3 innings. He came in w/ 1 out in the 7th. 39 K's so far in 18 IP w/an era of 1.00 & has walked 5 total and given up 2 earned runs.

Now how about that Didi?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

On Mon. night against the Reds, Brewer Josh Hader became the first pitcher (starting or reliever) in MLB history to strike out 8 batters in less than 3 innings. He came in w/ 1 out in the 7th. 39 K's so far in 18 IP w/an era of 1.00 & has walked 5 total and given up 2 earned runs.
    Nobody's ever struck out the side three straight innings?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No, it's never happened, Ron (at least by only one pitcher), and "consecutive" has nothing to do with the equation (it's the most any one pitcher has ever struck out in 2 2/3 innings of pitching).

Another interesting thing about it is that, during the 9 batters he faced in 2 2/3 innings (he walked one in the middle of striking out the other 8), the ball never made contact with any bat (NO foul balls!).

Now how about that Didi?
    Indeed. Pretty impressive month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Aren't you happy that you are so clairvoyant, Lou.

Aren't you happy that you are so clairvoyant, Lou.
    Didn't take a Nostradomus to call this one sir!

Luis Severino pitched another gem last night, blanking the World Champions with a complete game, while striking out ten. It's been fun watching this young man (a mere 24) grow and mature into one of the elite hurlers of the game.

I heart Aaron Nola.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

New York just passed a big road trip test after beating up on less-than-top-tier teams. They swept the Angels in Anaheim for the first time in many years and took three out of four from the 'Stros. One game behind the BoSox. Could be a fun weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    New York just passed a big road trip test after beating up on less-than-top-tier teams. They swept the Angels in Anaheim for the first time in many years and took three out of four from the 'Stros. One game behind the BoSox. Could be a fun weekend.
    Lucky for us guys that you don't give us daily updates...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I know, right?

As I mentioned about the hype the Yanks receive:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-are...ll/c-275126664

Diamondbacks have the same record and in a division with the Dodgers, but....silence. Braves are off to a ...never mind. But the Astros...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

So...how 'bout that Ichiro?

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I know, right?

As I mentioned about the hype the Yanks receive:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-are...ll/c-275126664

Diamondbacks have the same record and in a division with the Dodgers, but....silence. Braves are off to a ...never mind. But the Astros...
    Go back and check my comments and let's run a tally and compare. You can despise them all you want. But, don't act like drama queens about it.

Oh my!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Oh my!!
    I know, right?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I know, right?
    I know, right?

Look, I've tried to temper the daily reports and keep most of my discussions about the sport in general, in deference to fact that you guys don't want to hear about the Yankees. (Aside from the bickering with you know who, which I've given up.) So, I get it, you hate them. I did a few updates and you guys have to say something about it. It's actually quite silly.

The Padres are playing in Mexico this weekend (I'm too lazy to look up their opponent). What's interesting is that MLB is allowing both teams to carry a 26th player on their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Padres are playing in Mexico this weekend (I'm too lazy to look up their opponent). What's interesting is that MLB is allowing both teams to carry a 26th player on their roster.
    Interesting. Why an extra player? Jet lag?

I can't wait until the Yankees play there.