Page 20 of 96 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Wait - you mean my three week old post where I said I thought the Brewers would probably get a win total in the high 80s... is now NOT crazy, but in fact a reasonable estimate of the Brewers this year?
    Except you didn't say that. You said they'd win 85 games, and even that was being optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Except you didn't say that. You said they'd win 85 games, and even that was being optimistic.
    Nope.

I said "I can definitely see the Brewers winning 85 games this year."

I meant exactly that. They could *finish* with 90, but I can definitely see them getting to 85. 85-87 is my actual range for the Brewers, then and now.

I didn't say that the Brewers would optimistically reach 85 wins, which is how you misread it (something you seem to do with frequency) , but that their getting to 85 wins at some point in the season shouldn't be viewed as being down on the Brewers, but rather being *optimistic* about them, since Vegas had their win total at 82. 85 is an optimistic view of the Brewers, not a pessimistic one, considering where they were figured to finish by oddsmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    WAAAAAAAY too early, scalpel face.
    You're the one who made the comment about the team being in wait-til-next-year mode, not me.

What was the very first word of my post? I believe it was "If".

If = way too early.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I can definitely see the Brewers winning 85 games this year.
    I didn't say that to offer a sizzlin' hot take, but merely to provide my opinion on the Brewers season. Vegas has the Brewers at .500, so I'd say that 85 is a very optimistic number for the team. Its hard to envision them improving much over last year.

Nope.

I said "I can definitely see the Brewers winning 85 games this year."

I meant exactly that. They could *finish* with 90, but I can definitely see them getting to 85. 85-87 is my actual range for the Brewers, then and now.

I didn't say that the Brewers would optimistically reach 85 wins, which is how you misread it (something you seem to do with frequency) , but that their getting to 85 wins at some point in the season shouldn't be viewed as being down on the Brewers, but rather being *optimistic*
    85 is the exact mid point of the 80s. The high 80s wouid be 87-88-89. You said they'd win 85, and that was being optimistic, not somewhere in the high 80s. And you didn't say "getting to 85 wins at some point in the season." You said they would not improve over last year (86), and win 85, and that number was being "very optimistic".

You're the only person I know who argues with yourself---and then still loses the argument.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-17-2018 at 10:04 PM.

85 is the exact mid point of the 80s. The high 80s wouid be 87-88-89. You said they'd win 85, and that was being optimistic, not somewhere in the high 80s. And you didn't say "getting to 85 wins at some point in the season." You said they would not improve over last year (86), and win 85, optimistically.

You're the only person I know who argues with yourself---and then still loses the argument.
    Can you not read? I said "improve much" over last year. That leaves some room for improvement albeit not much. I never gave an estimated win total for the Brewers this year. All I did was say that I thought there was a good chance that they would get to 85 wins at some point - meaning, at least 85 wins. If I thought that they were going to win much more than that, I'd have said it. I don't think that they'll win much more than 85 games. Again, my range for them - if I was to make a prediction, would be 85-87.

You really need to try to read with greater clarity. You have no idea what you're looking at half of the time.

I posted exactly what you said before. "at some point" and "at least" are phrases you added today.
    Lmao. I love me some "Pretzel Logic."

I posted exactly what you said before. "at some point" and "at least" are phrases you added today.
    Lmao. I love me some "Pretzel Logic."
    At no point in any of the quotes of mine that you made, did I say that I thought the Brewers would finish with 85 wins. I said that I could see them winning 85 games. That means, at least that much.

Sorry you can't read with much comprehension, but you can't blame the messenger just because you failed at the understanding part of reading.

Ahh, nothing better than chomping on a nice twisted pretzel, with mustard, while taking in a ballgame.

OMG please stop.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

OK, Missouri-New York Civil War participants, now you've even been asked nicely.

BTW Sean, "OMG please stop" is sig-worthy 'round these parts.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I used to hear it all the time from my ex-wife.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I used to hear it all the time from my ex-wife.
    You beat her????

You beat her????
    No, it was usually any time I opened my mouth.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    OMG please stop.
    OK, Missouri-New York Civil War participants, now you've even been asked nicely.

Why are you referring to Poisoned Youth as 'Sean'??

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Why are you referring to Poisoned Youth as 'Sean'??
    Um, coz' that's his name. I don't think PE founder Tonar has an exclusive contract.

Well somebody was bound to sign Jose Bautista, and that somebody is the Braves.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Um, coz' that's his name. I don't think PE founder Tonar has an exclusive contract.
    Oh. I thought his name was Cozy.

Nickname not given.

You diggin' all this inane chat about you, Cozy. I won't use the S word ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Oh. I thought his name was Cozy.
    That's his Facebook status.

9 run 8th for the Mets. Cespedes slam. Avoiding the sweep. Amazin'.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    9 run 8th for the Mets. Cespedes slam. Avoiding the sweep. Amazin'.
    It really is. This season has the feeling of something special for the Mets. It's not a crazy thought - they were projected by many to be very good each of the last few years, and they had significant injuries holding them back.

Turning the perpetual attention of this thread from the East Coast teams, Cleveland and Minnesota just finished an extraordinary two-game series in Puerto Rico.

The stadium had to get a major retrofit from MLB - new lights, rebuilding the dugouts and flooded portions of the stadium, and picking every single shard of broken glass out of the outfield. That must have been tedious. MLB was sending the teams all over the place, children's hospital, batting clinics, rebuilding a domestic abuse shelter, funding a new construction team to repair houses, etc. You know, all the things FEMA has yet to do. And of course, the power went out over the whole island yesterday. But the fans were insane. And the announcers drank Pina Coladas last night.

Tuesday's game was won by the Indians with native son Francisco Lindor hitting the go-ahead HR and sending the fans into delirium. Last night the Twins' 23-year-old Puerto Rican phenom Jose Berrios pitched 7 shutout innings. Then again, so did the Cleveland pitcher. Neither of these teams had played in DAYS so both staffs were beyond rested. So we were 0-0 going into the fourteenth when Encarcion and the mighty Sano traded solo HRs to make it 1-1. On to the fifteenth. The sixteenth and the Twins finally send another Rican, Eddie Rosario, across home plate for the walk off win. Whew.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Yankees/Mets conversation.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Before we get back to the center of the universe (just ask anyone who lives there) in my old home town, the Brewers just won 2 straight by the same score of 2-0, and the 2 runs both games were a Thames 2 run HR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Turning the perpetual attention of this thread from the East Coast teams, Cleveland and Minnesota just finished an extraordinary two-game series in Puerto Rico.

The stadium had to get a major retrofit from MLB - new lights, rebuilding the dugouts and flooded portions of the stadium, and picking every single shard of broken glass out of the outfield. That must have been tedious. MLB was sending the teams all over the place, children's hospital, batting clinics, rebuilding a domestic abuse shelter, funding a new construction team to repair houses, etc. You know, all the things FEMA has yet to do. And of course, the power went out over the whole island yesterday. But the fans were insane. And the announcers drank Pina Coladas last night.

Tuesday's game was won by the Indians with native son Francisco Lindor hitting the go-ahead HR and sending the fans into delirium. Last night the Twins' 23-year-old Puerto Rican phenom Jose Berrios pitched 7 shutout innings. Then again, so did the Cleveland pitcher. Neither of these teams had played in DAYS so both staffs were beyond rested. So we were 0-0 going into the fourteenth when Encarcion and the mighty Sano traded solo HRs to make it 1-1. On to the fifteenth. The sixteenth and the Twins finally send another Rican, Eddie Rosario, across home plate for the walk off win. Whew.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Yankees/Mets conversation.
    I caught some of the extra innings of last night's game. I have questions.

There apparently was a bit of an uproar in Minnesota about that HR? Are they upset that these games weren't played in Minnesota?

Where did they get power yesterday? It was all over the news that PR didn't have any power.

I didn't realize all of the work and charity that went into the event. That's very impressive.