Page 16 of 96 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Lucky Man

...among the multitudinous reasons to love baseball...

...is what it can do, and often does to it's fans...

(My annual "I love baseball" contribution.)
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

My post refers to the "fans" booing Stanton, not to any particular individual. It's the first week of the frickin season. He's probably pressing wanting to impress. Cut him some slack for crying out loud.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-09-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    My post refers to the "fans" booing Stanton, not to any particular individual. It's the first week of the frickin season. He's probably pressing wanting to impress. Cut him some slack for crying out loud.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Don't take the bait, Ron.

Taking childish pettiness to new heights doesn't become you, St. Louis.
    LOL! New heights? Have you been paying attention?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    No.
    and there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    LOL! New heights? Have you been paying attention?
    Don't worry, I'll never be as good at it as you.

VVVVV
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-09-2018 at 11:45 AM.

It seems that, even though he's not a member of their home team, St. Louis is planning a parade for Giancarlo Stanton. I wish all fans were as great as theirs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I never knew before that for some people heroin is spelled c-o-n-f-r-o-n-t-a-t-i-o-n.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I never knew before that for some people heroin is spelled c-o-n-f-r-o-n-t-a-t-i-o-n.
    I'm just teasing. Believe it or not, I'm dialing things back ... one step at a time. I may actually be tempted to put someone on ignore for the first time ever.

So....how 'bout that Shohei Ohtani!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I may actually be tempted to put someone on ignore for the first time ever.
    The flaw with the ignore feature is that when that ignored member is quoted by someone else, that quote is visible to you.

Cubs home opener against Pittsburgh postponed by the same snowstorm that just dumped 6 inches on us. Mother Nature is a twatwaffle.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Cubs home opener against Pittsburgh postponed by the same snowstorm that just dumped 6 inches on us. Mother Nature is a twatwaffle.
    And 130 miles north in Madison it's sunny.??
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So....how 'bout that Shohei Ohtani!
    The most exciting player to enter major league baseball since Mike Trout. The Angels should be a real draw.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    And yet I see the Chisox, about 8-10 miles south of Wrigley, played their day game. Bizarre.

It's so cold in Cleveland that some of the players are wearing ski masks. It hasn't fazed Kluber. 2 H, 13 SO through 8.

The Brewers & the Cards are also wearing ski masks in StL.

I wonder why Yankees fans aren't booing Gary Sanchez. He's hitting only .063 with 2 hits on the entire season. .091 OBP/.188 SLG/.278 OPS. Stanton at least is .271/.429/.699, 3 HR(more than Judge) and 7 RBI (same as Judge). But I guess facts and logic don't enter into the equation with these things.

I wonder why Yankees fans aren't booing Gary Sanchez. He's hitting only .063 with 2 hits on the entire season. .091 OBP/.188 SLG/.278 OPS. Stanton at least is .271/.429/.699, 3 HR(more than Judge) and 7 RBI (same as Judge). But I guess facts and logic don't enter into the equation with these things.
    Stanton is an outfielder making a lot of money, and was last year's MVP. Sanchez is a home-grown catcher who is not making much money, and is not last year's MVP.

Not sure why you are so obssessed with who the Yankees boo, except I guess to display the eternal inferiority complex exhibited by Cardinals fans by the Yankees: a vastly superior franchise historically, with a vastly superior fanbase.

Glad I refrained from taking the bait. Facelift, you and I might not get along, but we can certainly agree at times.

Glad I refrained from taking the bait. Facelift, you and I might not get along, but we can certainly agree at times.
    I love his gall. It's not enough that reasonable justification was given for why some fans are booing Stanton - they're now not reasonably justified in doing so unless they are *also* booing another player?

Fans of all teams treat their home grown players better than they do high-priced free agents/trades. Stanton has an even shorter leash because he's also displacing another home-grown player - Aaron Hicks. But I'm not there and I'm not booing, so I guess the question from my perspective is: would Yankees fans be justiifed in booing Sanchez right now? My answer is yes - sure. He's been terrible. But, so far they aren't, and I think I've given a fair account of why they aren't. Another week of awfulness might not be a different story.

Also, historically, Yankees fans have been much kinder to catchers - I guess they're astute enough to know that catchers have a pretty tough job doing both things. Jorge Posada went through some rough patches but I don't ever recall him being booed (could have happened, though - I don't watch every game). I don't think Munson was ever booed.

Fans need to be won over. Sanchez already did that over the past two years. Stanton has not done that yet. He will, soon enough. Remember, Tino?

Yes, it even happens in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Stanton is an outfielder making a lot of money, and was last year's MVP. Sanchez is a home-grown catcher who is not making much money, and is not last year's MVP.

Not sure why you are so obssessed with who the Yankees boo, except I guess to display the eternal inferiority complex exhibited by Cardinals fans by the Yankees: a vastly superior franchise historically, with a vastly superior fanbase.
    Not obsessed (and really don't care) who spoiled boorish Yankees fans boo in the very first week of the season. A week characterized by very cold and rainy weather. I just find it highly amusing that obviously legacy and overall WS titles don't translate into fanbase intelligence. And you boo based on how much money someone makes? That's an interesting take too. So it's ok for the younger and lesser paid guys to suck? Lmao, ok.

As for your last gem, that Cards fans have a "an eternal inferiority complex" to the Yankees vast historical superiority, it's obvious you need to study up on your baseball history. You might want to check head to head World Series results between the Cards and Yanks:
    Cards 3
    Yanks 2
    The only team that has a winning record in the World Series vs the "vastly superior Yankees" is the Cardinals (where multiple series were played). The Cardinals basically ended the Yankees 50s/early 60s dynasty in 1964. LMAO.

I pointed out the Sanchez stat because 1) it shows how fickle and illogical fans are and 2) it's just the first week of the season that had been played and that is characterized by overreaction. Oh, and 3) Cardinals fans wouldn't resoundingly boo the reigning NL MVP and huge new star acquisition on Opening Day at the Home Opener and in the first week like that.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-10-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Damn, Kevin! Give it a f*****g rest! This from someone who everyone here knows hates the Yankees.