Page 13 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

The tension is thick.......

Cozy, does this mean that all this time your father has been Dark Helmet?

I'm passing you the long-distance spliff, Ron. Be careful. It expands just like the fan rhetoric on either side of any issue.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, it really doesn't. It's much easier to cultivate a fanbase when kids can watch the games on TV. Blacking out in 2018 is ridiculous.
    I'm just saying that there is at least a shred of logic to the idea that if a game isn't sold out then making it difficult to see on tv might encourage a ticket sale or two. Current average ticket prices being prohibitive to many, though, I agree with you that it's ridiculous, and that it would make more business sense to have people pay to see the games on the tube rather than have them not pay and not be able to see the games at all.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post

In a related matter: I'm once again stymied by MLB deciding, in its wisdom, that the pro teams in Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois are all "in-market" for those of us living in Iowa, and therefore blacked out both home and away. Because everyone in the state who follows one of those six teams should be expected to drive hours out-of-state to support their team. Can anyone tell me how that makes any business sense?
    On top of that, MLB and/or Directv (they both claim the other do the blackouts and they are helpless), black out REPLAYS of games on the various local sports channels (and I pay for a sports package to get those channels), and they even black out non-game sports programming. A perfect example was a few years back Comcast Chicago produced a special called 5 Outs about the Bartman saga that I really wanted to see since it was locally produced, and from the Cubs perspective. It was blacked out every time it was on (which was multiple repeats) and I live 5 hours from the Chicago area. WTF? No one at Comcast or Directv could rationally explain to me why they felt the need to black out a sports history show--including all repeats!--that was not a frickin live game. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

The local blackout rule is supposed to work like this: For live ballgames only, if the Cubs are playing the Cards, the Cubs broadcast is broadcast locally over Comcast (or WGN) and the StL broadcast of the same game is blacked out in Chicago so the local team gets the benefit of their fans seeing the local ads. And that is reversed in StL--the Cubs broadcast on Comcast is blacked out in StL so StL can exclusively show their broadcast locally. I get that--that's the only logical use of blackouts. It makes no sense to black out games hours and hours away (ie not in local metropolitan area) like in Iowa or downstate IL etc, it makes no sense to blackout encore replays of games outside the local metro area, and it's completely asinine to black out non live sports programming. MLB and Directv are vastly and erroneously overdoing these blackout rules, and I'm convinced these idiots don't even understand their own BO policies.

And I won't even get into how stupid it is that some years ago Directv decided to black out the local WGN out of Chicago and replaced it with some lame national generic WGN that shows nothing but old repeats of old crime dramas like Murder She Wrote and In the Heat of the Night, with no local content, news or any sports broadcasts.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-02-2018 at 11:53 AM.

The Twins are apparently butthurt because they "over-shifted" on the Orioles' Chance Sisco and he then bunted to avoid it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hope I do this right.

Check out this awesome one-handed catcher:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/980473694702194688
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Twins are apparently butthurt because they "over-shifted" on the Orioles' Chance Sisco and he then bunted to avoid it.
    What's really odd is that us fans are continually asking why players don't adjust more to the shift. Of course, they don't get fat contracts for bunting.

On a related note, I was watching some vintage clips not long ago. I am pretty sure it was from a World Series game, like from the 50s. Guess what? The defense shifted every infielder to one side. So, it's nothing new. I'm guessing players began adjusting back then and things went back to no radical shifts for a while.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Cardinals did a 3 IF on one side shift vs Ted Williams in the 1946 WS. I think Williams hit .200 something with little damage done. Yet media dopes like Brian Kenny think they came up with the idea.

The players that got butthurt are getting roasted by Twins writers/bloggers on Twitter and other places online. Hopefully they'll keep quiet next time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The Cardinals did a 3 IF on one side shift vs Ted Williams in the 1946 WS. I think Williams hit .200 something with little damage done. Yet media dopes like Brian Kenny think they came up with the idea.
    That might be the footage I saw.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Screw them! So they hoped the other team would gift their pitcher to achieve a stupid record? How dumb!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The players that got butthurt are getting roasted by Twins writers/bloggers on Twitter and other places online. Hopefully they'll keep quiet next time.
    If you don't want him to bunt don't shift, if you think the game is already over why are you putting the shift on? Bunch of numpties got what they deserved then sound stupid afterwards.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Screw them! So they hoped the other team would gift their pitcher to achieve a stupid record? How dumb!
    + 1
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Yankees and Mets both snowed out!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bunch of numpties
    Quoted for simple pleasure!

(not a phrase I'd ever thought to read hereabouts, & certainly not on this thread - this made me smile even more than the ridiculous changeup that Joe Kelly threw last night to end the game)

In the interest of full disclosure, the Brewers got their asses handed to them by the Cards in their home opener (8-4 & it wasn't really even that close).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

There goes the undefeated season!

Yankees fans booed Giancarlo Stanton in his first at-bat yesterday.

Welcome home GiancKKKKKarlo! Good thing shortstop Didi went deep twice and got 8 ribbies.

And speaking of baseball/broadcasting stupidity...Mets - Phils will only be available via facebooklive today.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The Phillies-Mets game today can only be viewed via Facebook.

Because Rob Manfred is actually worse than Bud Selig. Had no idea that was possible.

Sorry Ron......

I'm curious if anyone has EVER seen a game where the home team comes up in the bottom of the 9th down one run. The first 2 batters make outs. Yelich comes up and with 2 strikes ties the game going yard.

On Leone's very next pitch, Braun jacks one for a walkoff HR.

Yankees fans booed Giancarlo Stanton in his first at-bat yesterday.
    Did they boo during his first one? I know some were after his fifth K and leaving eight on base.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Did they boo during his first one? I know some were after his fifth K and leaving eight on base.
    My mistake. I think I mis-read "first game" as "first at-bat."

Still ridiculous.

My mistake. I think I mis-read "first game" as "first at-bat."

Still ridiculous.
    That's New York. I'm sure he would have booed himself after that performance. It's only one game and, sooner or later, he'll be a hero. I've seen it many times before.

They're not booing now...