Thread: Guest Appearances by Steve Hackett

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Guest Appearances by Steve Hackett

Today I was reading up on (and preordered) the upcoming album by Israeli prog-metal band Orphaned Land, and read that Steve Hackett guests on the album. I then started thinking about all the albums Hackett has guested on, decided to look at his discography on Wikipedia. Look at this list of albums he's guested on!:

Two Sides of Peter Banks (1971) by Peter Banks (1 track : Knights (Reprise))[60]
    Voo de Coracao by Ritchie (1984) (1 track : Voo de Coração)[61]
    Wind in the Willows by Eddie Hardin (1985) (1 track : Wind in the Willows)[62]
    Strangeland by Box of Frogs (1986) (2 tracks : Average and Trouble)[63]
    Orchestral Maneuvres: The Music of Pink Floyd by David Palmer and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (1991)
    Gallery of Dreams by Gandalf (1992) (7 tracks and co-wrote End of the Rainbow)[64]
    Arkangel by John Wetton (1997) (2 tracks : Nothing Happens for Nothing and All Grown up)[65]
    Drivers Eyes by Ian McDonald (1999) (2 tracks : You Are a Part of Me and Straight Back to You)[66]
    Sinister by John Wetton (2001) (1 track : Real World)[67]
    Sheafs Are Dancing by Djabe (2003) (1 track : Reflections of Thiérache)[68]
    Emergent by Gordian Knot (2003) (3 tracks : Muttersprache, Some Brighter Thing and Singing Deep Mountain)[69]
    Hexameron by Nick Magnus (2004) (3 tracks : Singularity, Seven Hands of Time and The Power of Reason)[70]
    Checking Out of London by John Hackett (2005) (5 tracks : Late Trains, The Hallway and the Pram, Ego & Id and Headlights)[71]
    ? by Neal Morse (2005)
    Swiss Choir by Chris Squire (2007)
    Sacred Scenes and Characters by Canterbury Glass (2007; recorded 1968) (1 track : Prologue)[72]
    U-Catastrophe by Simon Collins (2008) (1 track : Fast Forward the Future)[73]
    Sipi Benefit Concert by Djabe (2009)
    Sitting on the Top of Time by Jim McCarty (2009) (1 track : Living from the Inside Out)[74]
    JL by Algebra, (2009) (1 track : Il molo deserto)[75] www.dusk.it/algebra
    The Book of Bilbo and Gandalf by Marco Lo Muscio (2010) (1 track Galadriel)
    Children of Another God by Nick Magnus (2010) (1 track : The Colony Is King)[76]
    Dirty nd Beautiful Volume 1 by Gary Husband (2010) (1 track)
    In the Footsteps of Attila and Genghis by Djabe (2011)
    Cavalli Cocchi, Lanzetti & Roversi by CCLR (2011) (1 track)
    Dirty and Beautiful Volume 1 by Gary Husband (2010) (1 track)
    Raised in Captivity by John Wetton (2011) (1 track)
    Grace for Drowning by Steven Wilson (2011) (1 track)
    Prog Exhibition 2 by Various Artists (2012) (2 tracks)
    Talsete di Marsantino by L'Estate di San Martino (2012) (2 tracks)
    Down and Up by Djabe (2012) (5 tracks)
    The Rome Pro(g)ject by The Rome Pro(G)ject (2012) (2 tracks - "Down to the Domus Aurea" - "The Mouth of Truth" - both by Hackett/Ricca) www.vincenzoricca.it
    Beneath the Waves by Kompendium (2012) (1 track "Lilly")
    A Proggy Christmas by The Prog World Orchestra (2012) (1 track)
    Captain Blue by Rob Cottingham (2012) (1 track)
    Lifesigns by Lifesigns (2013) (1 track)
    Playing the History by John Hackett, Marco Lo Muscio & Carlo Matteucci (2013) (4 track: "Hairless Heart", "After the Ordeal", "Hands of the Priestess", "Galadriel")
    The Theory of Everything by Ayreon (2013) (1 track : The Parting)
    Overnight Snow by Nick Fletcher & John Hackett (2013) (1 track : Three Mediterranean Sketches)
    Cre by Duncan Parsons (2014) (1 track : J: Oi!, playing harmonica, joined by John Hackett, Gary Boyle, and Ton Scherpenzeel)
    N'Monix by Nick Magnus (2014) (3 tracks : Eminent Victorians, Broken and Shadowland)
    The Ghosts of Pripyat by Steve Rothery (2014) (2 tracks : Morpheus and Old Man of the Sea)
    Torn Apart by Franck Carducci (2015) (1 track : Closer to Irreversible)[77]
    Courting The Widow by Nad Sylvan (2015)
    Another Life by John Hackett (2015)
    Cabdury-Hicks by Cadbury-Hicks (2015) (1 track : Just Another Honky-Tonk)
    Citizen by Billy Sherwood (2015) (1 track : Man and the Machine)
    Of Fate And Glory by The Rome Pro(G)ject II (2016) (3 tracks : Of Fate And Glory - S.P.Q.R. - The Pantheon's Dome)

Some of these I've heard, and I've pretty much forgotten what the solo he contributed (that's USUALLY what it is) sounded like. Some I either forgot or didn't know that he guested on.

Can anyone name a song or album he guests on that's worth having a good listen to? I sort of think he saves his best solos for his own albums, which is fair enough - probably though I just haven't given most of these that I have a close enough listen. The Nick Magnus album N'Monix is the one I've probably paid most attention to, but it's actually been a while now so I can't remember. I guess this would be a good use for a Spotify playlist of whatever from here with Hackett is on Spotify.

He's a nice guy and is obviously willing to help out lots of bands and musicians.

Oh, I forgot he was on Steve Rothery's The Ghosts of Pripyat. It's funny that Rothery wasn't enough guitar greatness on there! I'll have to have another listen.

^^^
    If you don't already have all those hermetically sealed in a basement vault, I'll be disappointed.

Interesting how they've increased in frequency over time.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Interesting how they've increased in frequency over time.
    Indeed, he's like the Steve Lukather of Prog these days.

Off the top of my head, he also played on Dave Kerzner's New World, and maybe also Static (don't recall). Also Nad Sylvan's second album, The Bride Said No, and Ian Mosely/Ben Castle's Postmankind (Jed - you should know this !). I'm sure there are numerous others not listed above, he really has played on a lot of stuff recently.

How did they omit his appearance on the 1984 album by NWOBHM band Nightwing? That's been well known for ages. He may have been on another one of their albums as well, I don't recall.

Nice list - Sylvan's Courting the Widow is listed above but not The Bride Said No - "What Have You Done" would definitely be a song to recommend if you are a Hackett fan. Has all his brilliant phrasing and as a bonus it continues into an unreal Guthrie Govan solo. Must hear!

He also appears on Rob Reed's remake of Spectral Mornings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49cwM7b1Wk

Genesis - "Seconds Out"
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Genesis - "Seconds Out"
    Well, he's rumored to appear on that one.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Update from the list: Steve plays on all tracks on the new album from Djabe: Life Is A Journey - The Sardinia Tapes

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Update from the list: Steve plays on all tracks on the new album from Djabe: Life Is A Journey - The Sardinia Tapes
    I love this pairing with Steve Hackett and Djabe. I have just got Summer Storms & Rocking Rivers.. Lots of Steve Hackett solo work on here!... Great album and worth getting if your a Steve Hackett fan!....

There's some nice Hackett work on Chris Squire's Christmas album. He plays lead and rhythm guitar on most tracks and pretty much saves it from being a Mannheim Steamroller album (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Sure to get a spin or two every December. Sometimes it even gets a spin during the summer, when one might wish it was December!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is his newest, just released. Go to 6:10 for the Hackett money shot:

Neal Morse Question Mark "12" 2005
    The Watch Seven "The Hermit" 2017
    The Prog Corner