Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Philllips

Anthony Philllips

Any Anthony Phillips fans here? I was reading his discography on Wiki today. I really did not know he had done that much. I do already own a few of his more legendary releases. What is to be said about his albums over the years? Best albums? Worst albums? What is clearly essential? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Library Jon

Huge Ant fan here. You don't specify which ones you already own, can you be more specific, and I can offer some suggestions!

Here's my collection BTW:

ant 3.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here is what I have:

Geese And The Ghost- Deluxe
    Wise After The Event- Deluxe
    Sides- Deluxe
    1984- Deluxe

Library Jon

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    AP's talked about here quite a bit. If I did this correctly, here's a link to all PE article with his name in the thread title,

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...archid=4613824

Edit.
    I didn't do it correctly.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 01-16-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Here is what I have:

Geese And The Ghost- Deluxe
    Wise After The Event- Deluxe
    Sides- Deluxe
    1984- Deluxe
    Well, the Private Parts & Pieces series is a good place to start beyond what you've already got. Check out the first couple at least (although a lot of them are good). Slow Dance is another strong recommendation, and there was a recent Esoteric reissue of that one so it should be easy to find.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Any Anthony Phillips fans here? I was reading his discography on Wiki today. I really did not know he had done that much. I do already own a few of his more legendary releases. What is to be said about his albums over the years? Best albums? Worst albums? What is clearly essential? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Library Jon
    I would say that I think his worst album is Sail the World, since it really doesn't have anything with his signature sounds, but it's not bad. I have not yet heard Ahead of the Field, which is 3rd from the right in Progatron's picture.

Thanks. The Private Parts CD box set was already going to be my next jump into his music. I really could see myself owning all of his albums one day. I love the Genesis "Trespass" album a lot

Btw, I could not get the link to work.

Library Jon

Btw, I could not get the link to work.
    Dammit. I guess they use a user-specific cookie, or something. You can go up to the Advanced Search link at the top of the page and put in "Anthony Phillips" and use the Search Titles Only option and find lots to read.

Thanks. The Private Parts CD box set was already going to be my next jump into his music. I really could see myself owning all of his albums one day. I love the Genesis "Trespass" album a lot
    You'll like a lot of the PP&P series. Likewise with the Missing Links series or the Archive Collection albums... there's a ton of music to digest among all of those releases and it will keep you busy for a good while. Another one I suspect would appeal to you is The Meadows Of Englewood, but that one is tricky to find nowadays.

Both of the PP&P box collections from Esoteric are easy recommendations, as they're filled with great music that encompasses a broad spectrum of styles and moods.

all the esoteric reissues lately have been fantastic. if you are looking to not blow the bank maybe just get them as they come out then you avoid missing out on something if you buy a earlier version of it. so you can grab the two PP&P boxes slow dance and invisible men. invisible men might be a harder recommendation it is his most overtly poppy attempt with vocals and everything but I still find it quite enjoyable.

As this thread moves on, please warn me if there is a bigger deluxe version of any of these recommendations.

Library Jon

As this thread moves on, please warn me if there is a bigger deluxe version of any of these recommendations.
    Well, you've already got four of the biggies. There are also the two PP&P deluxe sets, as well as the aforementioned Slow Dance and Invisible Men. So far those are basically it aside from the Harvest Of The Heart 5-disc boxed set (which does contain material unavailable elsewhere). I expect Esoteric will continue on with more titles, but for now that's where it stands. There is a beautiful set containing the first three Missing Links volumes that is worth seeking out as well. As far as The Meadows Of Englewood is concerned, there was a 15th. anniversary two-disc edition but it is even harder to find than the original release. So in case you do become a rabid collector, don't get too hung up on trying to find it, just keep an eye out once in a while.

cd3.jpg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Huge Ant fan here. You don't specify which ones you already own, can you be more specific, and I can offer some suggestions!

Here's my collection BTW:

ant 3.jpg
    What's the black one next to Invisible Men? 1984?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-16-2018 at 08:10 PM.

All I have is The Geese & the Ghost (very nice) and Sides (has its moments, but far from essential). I should probably get more. Slow Dance and the Private Parts & Pieces series are the ones I hear the most positive things about.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I've been a huge fan of Ant's music since around 1979. I have all of his original releases and most of the remasters, but I haven't bought any of the more recent box sets as I made a decision to eschew most types of physical product some years ago since my living space over here is particularly limited. Here are my favorites (today):

The Geese and the Ghost
    Wise After the Event
    Private Parts & Pieces
    PP&P II "Back to the Pavilion"
    PP&P IV "A Catch at the Table"
    Slow Dance
    PP&P VIII "New England"
    Field Day

Here's an excellent, in-depth two-part interview done by Cherry Red Records in 2014:

Part 1:

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLdDhZHxdKU

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the black one next to Invisible Men? 1984?
    Yep, the Esoteric edition. The Voiceprint edition is more towards the middle.

I've got some Anthony Phillips-albums too, but not Deluxe. Just ordinary Anthony Phillips-albums without Deluxe.

I've got some other rock music records that are Deluxe, but they are not by Anthony Phillips.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Like maybe Ducks Deluxe?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own a Japan Mini-Lp Mega Box set (with Wise After the Event as the cover artwork) Box Set - with 5 smaller boxes in the Mega Box. This includes his full catalog.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-17-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Deluxe Anthony Phillips sounds more like Genesis.

Ant is featured on a recent-ish edition of the Nakedly Examined Music podcast, which I found fascinating. He is asked to go into detail about the writing process of 4 or 5 disparate songs. http://nakedlyexaminedmusic.com/nem62-anthony-phillips/

Searching for Anthony Phillips won't turn up this thread, since it's got Philllips in the title.

[QUOTE=Koreabruce;770746]but I haven't bought any of the more recent box sets as I made a decision to eschew most types of physical product some years ago since my living space over here is particularly limited. Here are my favorites (today):

Private Parts & Pieces
    PP&P II "Back to the Pavilion"
    PP&P IV "A Catch at the Table"

QUOTE]

hey if space is a issue the PP&P I-IV boxset takes up less space than those 3 separately and you'll get III and the bonus disc to boot! that is actually one thing I have liked about the recent boxset trend is often I can save some space upgrading (though the fish out of water set is gonna set me back some room...)

I haven't gotten any of the Esoteric releases, As I bought a sizeable chunk of Ant's catalog (including two different editions of The Geese And The Ghost) from before they took over the catalog. Actually, I take that back, I have a double CD edition of 1984 that might be Esoteric, but I'm not sure off the top of my head if it's Esoteric or Voiceprint.

Has Esoteric issued the Radio Clyde performance yet? That was a radio performance he did on, I believe, a Scottish (or was it Welsh?) radio, circa 1978. He plays stuff off his first couple albums, introducing Reaper as being "untitled", which suggests that the first Private Parts & Pieces hadn't been released yet. He has some amusing introductions to some of the pieces. Voiceprint put it out about 15 years ago, but it somehow took me until last month to finally own an official copy (I actually had a bootlegged cassette copy before the CD came out). Good recording.