Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ending Anonymity?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Ending Anonymity?

Hey moderators, have you by any chance thought of somehow no longer letting people remain anonymous on PE? Steve F. made a good point when he just pointed out that you know who is anonymous and gives a lot of people a hard time. I and others have also recently here had a hard time with a member who joined in November, has remained anonymous, yet apparently was a member previously under a different name. While you can cite all kinds of things you guys have had to police over the years - some political posts, etc. - IMO it's the anonymous douchebags that really lower the quality of life here.

I don't know how you'd do it and maintain some of peoples' privacy - I'm thinking somehow in the signup process they have to supply you via email with a real name and address, or at least a real name that somehow needs to be verified. I really don't know. I'm sure it's not something you actually want in the PE database somewhere. And even though you guys know who I am, I'm willing to supply my name in some official way.

I would actually LOVE to know who many of the people on PE are just because some of them I think I know from ProgDay, etc. but don't know if I know them. It would great to somehow be able to identify ourselves, but again, privacy issues. I also would love to know where everyone lives, roughly.

Just giving a bit of a wishlist, but the main thing is that anonymous trolls do suck. And I feel like we're all being played for suckers with the people who are banned, then join under a different name. F that! It's too easy to join PE. There's a Facebook group for parents in my zipcode, and after a while they realized there were a few people who had joined who weren't parents or didn't live in our zip code, so they purged the ranks, started a new group, and made people provide some info before they were admitted.

Thanks for reading!

Jed

Jed,

A very good post and point. I doubt they'll do it, but I am with you 1000% on this.

Taking away anonymity will make this place (and *any* place on the internet) a much better place.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Anonymity can exist even when a 'real name' has been proffered.
    Some folks will act like asses, not caring that people know their name.
    Others may feel that a lack of Anonymity would have a 'chilling effect' on their ability to comment in an environment that can be very opinionated ( see above ).
    I favor Real Names, even though it may be counter to the ''internet culture".
    Remember that there pages are indexed by google and your comments are quickly available to anyone searching.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm all for it if there's a way to do here with this current platform.

I discuss music daily on my Facebook page and knowing everyone's real name takes it to a whole new level of accountability. And honestly, the people I discuss it with there are not there to play games and hide behind anything so that isn't a concern there on my page. Though in band related groups at FB the same BS goes on there that does here, but much worse. Even with people not hiding behind a made up screen name. If they like to show their asses they don't hold back even with their name on everything they do. I have seen the worst in humanity come out over there in the Yes related groups. So I don't know if this is the big fix you hope for.

But, even at FB there's no way to REALLY make you tell them you REALLY are. So I don't see how that could 100% happen here either, even if the pieces were in place to show your real name and such instead of a screen name.

Who would believe me if I went by John White as my name on here? C'mon!

It's true that on FB people are more outrageous than they are here. What would possibly get to the problem even more is if somehow when people were banned they weren't able to join again, and once more I don't know how/if that could be done. But the mods always say they know who a person is, and if they're going by IP address maybe that's a possible way. But people can reset their IP, can't they? Maybe I don't know who (insert anonymous troll's name here) is, but if they are stuck with the same name for as long as they're on PE, and can't rejoin under a different name, then at least I know which anonymous troll they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm all for it if there's a way to do here with this current platform.

I discuss music daily on my Facebook page and knowing everyone's real name takes it to a whole new level of accountability. And honestly, the people I discuss it with there are not there to play games and hide behind anything so that isn't a concern there on my page. Though in band related groups at FB the same BS goes on there that does here, but much worse. Even with people not hiding behind a made up screen name. If they like to show their asses they don't hold back even with their name on everything they do. I have seen the worst in humanity come out over there in the Yes related groups. So I don't know if this is the big fix you hope for.

But, even at FB there's no way to REALLY make you tell them you REALLY are. So I don't see how that could 100% happen here either, even if the pieces were in place to show your real name and such instead of a screen name.

Thank you for saving me some time.

Facebook is the quintessential example that squashes the notion that anonymity is the issue. Facebook is absolutely filled with some of the most vitriolic, hateful dreck you would ever want to read. And even though one could sign up on Facebook using an alias, the proof is that most people don't.

It's not unlike the myth that people act civil when the cameras are on.

And on PE, there are many here who SPECIFICALLY prefer to not use their real names and they are nice people. Their wishes have to be taken into account as well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I use my real-life business/nickname all over the net. People here know who I am, but I do not advertise it or comment on it much. I had a stalker back in the early 00s and do NOT want my real name used online in certain sites as to lessen the trail. Having said that, some here on PE have purposely used my real name when replying in threads as to cast a thorn in my side in whatever post of mine they did not approve. Those people are just idiots, as they already knew of the prior stalker incident. If I had to use my real name here as a registered username, I would be in 100% read-only mode.

I am not in favor of banned users returning. People do change, but if they have changed so much for the good and PE ok's them to come back after their banning, I feel they should HAVE to use their previous PE username as part of the accountability of being let back into the PE board.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    And on PE, there are many here who SPECIFICALLY prefer to not use their real names and they are nice people. Their wishes have to be taken into account as well.
    As I said though, perhaps there's a way people can submit their names when registering, but not have the names displayed for all to see. Maybe the names would need to be stored in a separate database from user names and email addresses for security.

Or there's my other thought, that maybe people can somehow be prevented from registering under a different name if they get banned. Maybe a required membership fee would prevent that?

Just trying to think outside the box.

"What's a box?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I am not in favor of banned users returning. People do change, but if they have changed so much for the good and PE ok's them to come back after their banning, I feel they should HAVE to use their previous PE username as part of the accountability of being let back into the PE board.
    This makes sense.

I personally am ok if anonymous user names got nixed.

But I also understand the concerns that Gruno raises and I suspect that might "out" a few bigger names and affect their enjoyment/usage of the site.

Maybe it is just me but I have noticed a slight uptick in the number of "usual suspects" receiving temporary/permanent bans. And I suspect a few more may get banned in due time. That has helped a considerable amount IMHO.

Just so long as GENUINE assholes -- like myself -- don't get kicked off?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Just so long as GENUINE assholes -- like myself -- don't get kicked off?
    The insincerity is what gets them every time.

rcarlberg, I think most people here like you -- myself included!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Maybe a temporary level of banning that falls short of a permanent ban, but one that requires a PayPal'ed fine for reinstatement.

I like the way you think.

Is it time for a Sally Field quote?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I will take any of these quotes from her

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Ask your doctor if Boniva is right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe a temporary level of banning that falls short of a permanent ban, but one that requires a PayPal'ed fine for reinstatement.
    And administers a powerful electric shock.

I you want to be anonymous you can do so easily.

make an email like petermorrisson@gmail.com and post here as peter morrisson, nobody can blow that cover whihtout actually hacking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I you want to be anonymous you can do so easily.

make an email like petermorrisson@gmail.com and post here as peter morrisson, nobody can blow that cover whihtout actually hacking you.
    The point here is that we're discussing PE getting more information than just an email address. Obviously currently anyone can do what you suggest, and I think a lot of people have. But I'm sure this is something that'll never happen.

One thing I'd be curious to know is do registrations go through automatically, or do the mods vet them in any way first. Not they have much in the way of tools to do any vetting, I'm guessing.

If I went by my real name... The chicks wouldn't dig me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    If I went by my real name... The chicks wouldn't dig me anymore.
    I have to say, Yodelgoat is one of the best names on here!

This may shock you, but It's made up.