Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ending Anonymity?

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts on this topic from those who have returned after being banned. I'm referring to those users that are definitely known to have been previously banned. Then again, I suppose that is why JKL2000 started this thread -- because they rather hide.

^^^^

Despite their best efforts, many of whom you speak make it quite easy to discern their writing style and ideology and give themselves away (which (props to U2) leads me to the thought that PE would continue just fine "With Or Without You").
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Sadly, this will always be the case here

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^^ That is Hysterical!... (Note to self...)Time to break out LOTR again.

Interesting stuff. There is no easy answer.

My personal approach when I post on fora is to pretend I am in the same room with the people involved. I never post anything I wouldn't say in person.
    My mom raised me to be nice and to treat people the way I'd like to be treated.

If I ever tick off anyone here, I hope they will immediately tell me. And I will apologize.

I like the Troll clip but recently I was thinking about the use of the word. The way I see it, the term came about because of the VERB "to troll," not the noun (" a troll"). When one trolls from a boat, the baitfish on the end of the hook is irresistible to game fish like tuna and marlin...they cannot resist taking the bait and things go very wrong for the big fish. An internet "troll" does the same thing, that is, they put out irresistible bait such as "Phil Collins couldn't even play drums well" even though they don't really feel that way. Then they sit back and laugh when someone freaks out and spends an hour crafting a 1000 word reply. But a "real" troll doesn't go out looking to screw with people. He stays under his bridge and only bothers the hapless person to wander by and try to cross the bridge. So these nasties on the web should really should be called "Internet Fisherman" or something like that but I guess that doesn't quite sound cool and witty. So TROLL it is! I guess...

I am sure that this is the first time the Internet got something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    "Phil Collins couldn't even play drums well"
    BULLSHIT. He was a GREAT drummer! You suck!

I have never been banned, but I do tend to live on the edge. Even though I'm not really the cause of a closed thread, I do get sucked into the sh*t storms - I have, in the past been warned. I think the powers that be see me as an agitator. Its mostly because I love buttons. I see one, I push. Recognizing this as one of my own weaknesses, I have permanently banned myself from all missile silo's. Foreign and domestic.

As a drummer who has had to cover different drummers on occasion(notice I did not say "good" drummer!) Phil Collins is, IMO a very very fine drummer. Much of what he does is subtle, until you try it and you realize its not just something he contrives, but it turns out is carefully constructed. Like the Kick pattern in Land of Confusion 2,4,1,3 in a 4/4 measure. Its mesmerizing and quite difficult to do without a fair amount of practice. It takes a certain musical sensitivity to put details into ones parts that often go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Its mostly because I love buttons. I see one, I push. Recognizing this as one of my own weaknesses, I have permanently banned myself from all missile silo's. Foreign and domestic.
    Just put a childproof lock on it and you will be OK
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

OK, from now on I will go by my real name on PE: Mister Wheat Thins.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Lino is a lot easier to type than my real name, Bartholomew.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    OK, from now on I will go by my real name on PE: Mister Wheat Thins.
    Damn, both are good crackers. Can't decide which is better.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Damn, both are good crackers. Can't decide which is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I have never been banned, but I do tend to live on the edge. Even though I'm not really the cause of a closed thread, I do get sucked into the sh*t storms - I have, in the past been warned. I think the powers that be see me as an agitator. Its mostly because I love buttons. I see one, I push. Recognizing this as one of my own weaknesses, I have permanently banned myself from all missile silo's. Foreign and domestic.

As a drummer who has had to cover different drummers on occasion(notice I did not say "good" drummer!) Phil Collins is, IMO a very very fine drummer. Much of what he does is subtle, until you try it and you realize its not just something he contrives, but it turns out is carefully constructed. Like the Kick pattern in Land of Confusion 2,4,1,3 in a 4/4 measure. Its mesmerizing and quite difficult to do without a fair amount of practice. It takes a certain musical sensitivity to put details into ones parts that often go unnoticed and unappreciated.
    His drumming on early Brand X is stellar and most people would not believe it's the same drummer as Genesis. Watching him live back in the day was such a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    His drumming on early Brand X is stellar and most people would not believe it's the same drummer as Genesis. Watching him live back in the day was such a treat.
    From Trespass to Nursery Cryme, it made a big improvement that Collins joined the band.

So if there's nothing to add on this thread and it's just devolved into a stream of consciousness, let me know (or my anonymous alias) and I'll close it.

Thanks.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Are you saying that threads are supposed to have a purpose??? I thought this whole site was just a stream of consciousness... Not mine exclusively perhaps, but a whole concatenation of diabolical rascalities, with murderous and nefarious impositions trying to keep us all talking endlessly about things we really have no business discussing.

I think we should have no identities whatsoever, we just get a number assigned when we join and we are only known as that number... Like the prison system. Wouldnt that be a hoot? Of course the number should be in descending sequence, so that newcomers wouldn't feel so bad.

I ask you, Why close a thread that stays as on topic as this one?