Thread: Wonderous Stories - A Journey Through The Landscape of Progressive Rock

Wonderous Stories - A Journey Through The Landscape of Progressive Rock

Hi guys

Hope you all had a nice festive break.

I spent mine delving into a new book - Wonderous Stories - A Journey Through The Landscape Of Progressive Rock - written by the editor of Prog magazine, Jerry Ewing.

To quote Jerry:

"Like many fans of progressive music, I have been frustrated by various media portraying the genre as if nothing happened after the 70s glory years. One only has to look at the success of Steven Wilson this year to see that this is patently untrue. So I was always intent, despite the mammoth task of covering 50 plus years of music, that this book brought the story of this inventive and emotional music as up to date as we could."

If you're looking a for a new book to grace your coffee table, and potentially interest your visitors, then here's my take on what I found between the covers:

https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2018/01/04/wonderous-stories-a-journey-through-the-landscape-of-progressive-rock-jerry-ewing-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    However, a bit more judicious roof-reading wouldn’t have gone amiss.....
    "roof-reading"?

I suppose there's a point in that - if you climb up on the roof to read a book, you've got plenty of daylight to read it by (if you do that during the day) and don't need a lamp. But it's hard to find a place your chair will sit level - impossible, in fact. You can't read at night at all, since it's dark. And finally, if you live in Scotland, and if Scotland is anything like England, it rains all the time and your book will get wet and fall apart, and you will get soaked and get a cold. So I can't see how roof-reading could be judicious at all.

Sorry. But I couldn't resist. It was just too perfect a set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    "roof-reading"?

I suppose there's a point in that - if you climb up on the roof to read a book, you've got plenty of daylight to read it by (if you do that during the day) and don't need a lamp. But it's hard to find a place your chair will sit level - impossible, in fact. You can't read at night at all, since it's dark. And finally, if you live in Scotland, and if Scotland is anything like England, it rains all the time and your book will get wet and fall apart, and you will get soaked and get a cold. So I can't see how roof-reading could be judicious at all.

Sorry. But I couldn't resist. It was just too perfect a set-up.
    That'll teach me!

Best laugh I've had all day - thanks for that.

I've amended the offending word, so the Proof should now be in the reading

LOL- I spent so many years as an editor, and I got a good laugh as well.

But the book itself looks interesting and worth considering.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Poof-reading is useful for books about Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Poof-reading is useful for books about Queen.
    BA-DA-DUMP! "Tank yez, Tank yez, ladies an' joimz"