Thread: Asia Top Three (post 80s)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Asia Top Three (post 80s)

Thought we could use another Asia thread. Although I've made it clear I don't like "Heat of the Moment," I've always wanted to give the band a bit more of a chance. I'm somewhat familiar with the 80s albums, so if people could list their top three post-80s albums, I want to check a few others out.

Don't know them all, but:

1- Aura (I really like this one; have to concede I'm not that into John Payne's vocal style but this is a classy record, with a few really excellent tracks in 'Awake', 'Free' and 'Ready To Go Home')
    2- Phoenix (this one had more instrumental playing than I was expecting, which is good)

'Omega' and 'XXX' are fairly similar to me, but both worthwhile. Maybe 'XXX' has a slightly harder sound overall, so put that one as the third choice. I really like 'No Religion' and 'Bury Me In Willow' on there. Both albums are a bit lacking in the variation department though IMHO, perhaps too many Wetton/Downes songs is responsible for that.

JJ88 pretty much sums it up for me. Although, I'm one of the rare ones that likes Silent Nation, too. I'd probably put Omega and XXX as equals, but I agree with JJ88's criticisms of both.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I remember finding 'Silent Nation' very cheaply in some clearance sale and not liking it at all. I felt they sounded tired on that album and found the production quite lacklustre, a sharp contrast to 'Aura'. Of course in retrospect it's not surprising as this was the last album Geoff Downes did with John Payne.

'Aura' I remember again getting cheaply in a record fair about 6/7 years ago and expecting nothing, and was pleasantly surprised.

Aqua
    Aqua
    Aqua

I'm going to put in a good word for Arena... but it IS about half-pop, half-prog (the latter exists in "Into the Arena", "The Day Before the War" and "U Bring Me Down").

Aqua, Arena and Aura have the best stuff on them. In fact, along with the first two albums, that's all the Asia I'd recommend with relatively unbridled enthusiasm.
    All other albums are very hit and miss for me, no matter who's playing on them.

The only two that I have are "Silent Nation" and "Omega" both of which I like.

Steve Sly

After Aqua , the only other CD I would recommend is Archiva 1,which has some really strong songs on it !

Aura is the only one I enjoy. Quite a bit actually!

Aura, Arena, Aria

Don't know them much at all except Phoenix which I think is just short of a masterpiece. It's still very, very good though and I can still highly recommend it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    I would say Aria, Omega, and XXX because those are the only three Asia cds that I have. I used to have the Gold collection, but I sold it hoping the 30th anniversary box set for the first album, but it is too expensive and only available on their website.

Aqua, Arena, Omega