Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Flies: The Story of Porcupine Tree by Rich Wilson - Mozo's Book Review Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'd be interesed to learn how Steven was identified by the majority of the big 70s progressive rock bands to produce/remix their albums.
    He wasn't really. He was already pals with Robert Fripp and it started when he remixed some KC albums and it snowballed from there.
    Last edited by Steve983; 01-05-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    He wasn't really. He was already pals with Robert Fripp and it started when he remixed some KC albums and it snowballed from there.
    Yes. I understand the Fripp connection but I'm wondering how Steven made all the contacts outside of King Crimson.

Both versions are now available at a reduced price (50%) from https://rocket88books.com/products/t...nature-edition
    I took my chance and ordered the signature edition.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Both versions are now available at a reduced price (50%) from https://rocket88books.com/products/t...nature-edition
    I took my chance and ordered the signature edition.
    Glad you had a chance to pick up the really well bound and impressively presented signature edition. It's a great story, well researched and presented. I just wish I could have taken advantage of that type of sale!! Hopefully others will pick it up. The author earlier posted in this thread.

I enjoyed the book...it was particularly fun seeing reference to the first PT gig I ever attended which was in Oxford in 1997, where things got a tad uncomfortable between SW and the venue. I recall the power getting switched off after Steven bad mouthed them over the PA regarding the piss poor promotion they had done and not having enough power supply to run all of the stage equipment.

Matt.

I am tempted by this at a more reasonable price..!

I checked the PTree concert archive and they did not start supporting YES on the Summer 2002 tour until late in October. I saw YES in Dallas in August 2002 and do not remember any opening act. Can't believe I came that close to seeing PTree live that far back!

I cannot believe that it has been nearly 17 years ago.

I saw them open for Yes that fall. It was the tour where Wakeman rejoined.

Yes' setlist was almost exactly what would later be released as "Live in Montreux". Them playing "South Side of the Sky" on that tour was a big deal, I seem to recall.

Porcupine Tree led off with "Blackest Eyes" and played an excellent short set. I remember them doing "Gravity Eyelids" very clearly, and also that instrumental that starts with the flute loop from Stupid Dream. I'm pretty sure they also did "Hatesong".

There were a couple pretty intoxicated Porcupine Tree fans who were shouting out, "THE TREE" after the set.

I was 15 or 16 at the time, and just glad to see Yes, but even then I thought it was an odd pairing of a hungry, young band and a slow-moving institution.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I was 15 or 16 at the time, and just glad to see Yes, but even then I thought it was an odd pairing of a hungry, young band and a slow-moving institution.
    Chris Squire was quoted regarding Porcupine Tree: "I found them a bit mopey."

I'm guessing it was management's idea to pair them for that tour. I think I also recall PT band members grousing about how they were treated by Yes and their crew. Which is unfortunate because when Syd Arthur opened for Yes they had nothing but nice things to say.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Chris Squire was quoted regarding Porcupine Tree: "I found them a bit mopey."

I'm guessing it was management's idea to pair them for that tour. I think I also recall PT band members grousing about how they were treated by Yes and their crew. Which is unfortunate because when Syd Arthur opened for Yes they had nothing but nice things to say.
    SW had made some unkind comments about Yes in interviews, it might have got back to them. He said something along the lines of 'everything Yes have done since 1978 has been total excrement' - ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    SW had made some unkind comments about Yes in interviews, it might have got back to them. He said something along the lines of 'everything Yes have done since 1978 has been total excrement' - ouch.
    And Wilson fanboys get very sour when anyone has even slight criticism towards their hero...
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yes. I understand the Fripp connection but I'm wondering how Steven made all the contacts outside of King Crimson.
    I am pretty sure he doesn't. As said before, SW knew Fripp already prior to him working on the KC catalogue. Fripp plays on the no-man Flowermouth album for instance. Pretty much all of his remix work took off after him working on the KC catalogue and since then artists / bands / labels are coming to him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I feel like I asked this in another thread, but does this book mention PTree's appearance at Progscape in Baltimore in the mid 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I feel like I asked this in another thread, but does this book mention PTree's appearance at Progscape in Baltimore in the mid 90s?
    It's been a while since I read this book so I'm not sure but I would really bet yes, the book is so well researched.

Just finished reading this book and I really enjoyed it, especially the first episodes on how the band was formed, previous stuff Wilson did etc.

Some things that could have been done differently (for me) are more in the editorial side.
    For me the chapters would have been easier to read if there would have been a couple of paragraphs in there. Now there are chapters up to about 25 pages without a real break.
    And I thought it was funny to see how the author writes a conclusion of statement first, which is followed by a quote of one of the interviewed people with often exactly the same words. The use of synonyms would have made it flowery.

Finally: as a fan I expected to see an extensive discography closing the book, with all albums by PT and a selection of the work of the musicians involved.
    Maybe the next book on Porcupine Tree, written in Dutch by Wouter Bessels, will include it.
    https://www.recordplanet.nl/en/porcu...en-wilson.html
    https://www.permafrostpublishers.com...n-in-nederland

Make it available on Nook and I am in!

the massive ruck between some band members immediately prior to the Royal Albert Hall show and the fact that those members haven't spoken to each other since.
    Do tell...

I recently got the book when Rocket (the publishers) offered another discount. It was ok but nothing special in my view, I didn't learn much that I didn't already know and found the writing style a bit odd in places. Mines now up for sale on Amazon UK. By the way, yes there was some kind of an argument at the RAH but I believe they have all made up now. The one interesting thing I thought was that the other members of PT did really think the band would continue after The Incident but the call never came..