Thread: Yes - Dear Father 1970 live film

Yes - Dear Father 1970 live film

Another treasure from Yes' early days has surfaced, courtesy of Bruno Samppa (the same guy who brought us the amazing "Something's Coming" footage a month or so ago.)

This is notable because no footage of "Dear Father" has ever appeared before, and we see Chris playing his old white Fender Tele bass. And Jon isn't wearing white!

I'm guessing this was shot while on tour in Europe somewhere, near to Peter Banks' last shows with the band.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Good Day Folks!

I just love any older footage. Shows the young and HUNGRY band(s)! The last few seconds of the clip... Bill Bruford seems to be looking over his kit and trying to sense the reaction from their audience.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Very cool! I dig that extended intro with the twiddly organ and volume swells on the guitar.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The sound and vision don't quite seem to be in sync but this is great!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Interesting that BB is used as the preview image despite being barely shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    The sound and vision don't quite seem to be in sync but this is great!
    It is pretty funny to see that shot of Broof bashing away at 0:41-0:45 during a part where the drums are silent.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

They are rocking this one. Thanks for the footage. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It is pretty funny to see that shot of Broof bashing away at 0:41-0:45 during a part where the drums are silent.
    Yeah, I'm guessing the thing was edited in about 5 minutes by some dude who was simultaneously high. About par for the course for these late 60s/early 70s rock films.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Top Shelf. Yes killed it with Kaye and Banks. For me, the most listenable era of the band.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Does anybody know why there are two microphones taped together on each of the mic stands? Was the TV crew recording the vocals separately from the house sound? Or was it just some kind of back up?

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    Does anybody know why there are two microphones taped together on each of the mic stands? Was the TV crew recording the vocals separately from the house sound? Or was it just some kind of back up?
    One mic for the PA and one for recording. Vocals don't sound good for a recording coming only out of PA speakers, not like other instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Top Shelf. Yes killed it with Kaye and Banks. For me, the most listenable era of the band.
    I do think of it as a different band. With two different members on major melodic instruments, just so vastly different. I do like it, especially live.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, I'm guessing the thing was edited in about 5 minutes by some dude who was simultaneously high. About par for the course for these late 60s/early 70s rock films.
    It could be re edited and re up loaded very easily. Seems to sync up later on. I don't have much of a problem with it as one should be able to see through that and get to what and where the band was at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Good Day Folks!

I just love any older footage. Shows the young and HUNGRY band(s)! The last few seconds of the clip... Bill Bruford seems to be looking over his kit and trying to sense the reaction from their audience.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Bill's interviews when in YES were always the most articulate, observant and thought provoking. He just seemed to always have his head on straight and had the best understanding of the music itself as a whole while the other members were more lost in what they were doing personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    One mic for the PA and one for recording. Vocals don't sound good for a recording coming only out of PA speakers, not like other instruments.
    Thanks!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice clip! Thoroughly enjoyable.