Thread: Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas

Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas

So the 2017 RSD release has two different versions of "I Believe In Father Christmas". One is the original version and the other is the 2002 version. So my question what album was the 2002 version originally released on or is it previously unreleased and just recorded in 2002?

Bob

it was on some Christmas compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    it was on some Christmas compilation.
    There was a remake of "Father Christmas" that originally appeared on the Return of the Manticore box in 1993. The following year it was on a compilation called "A Rock & Roll Christmas". This also includes the Moodies version of "What Child Is This" that I haven't seen anywhere else.

I have an EP from Rhino from 1995 called I believe in Father Christmas that includes two versions of the song plus Troika,Humbug and Nutrocker.Is that what you're asking?

I believe though I may be wrong that there have been 4 versions. the original greg lake single, the ELP works II version, the return of the manticore version, and the 2002 version(if you want it on cd I belive it is on a 2002 compilation a classic rock Christmas though I had also never heard of it before the RSD vinyl).

woulda been nice if the new EP had included all 4 versions plus humbug (the original b-side)
    Last edited by gojikranz; 12-27-2017 at 12:03 PM.

^I didn't know about this 2002 version!

I find it frustrating that CD reissues of Works Vol 2 don't have the Lake single version as a bonus track. The other solo hit of that period, 'Honky Tonk Train Blues', was on the album anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I didn't know about this 2002 version!

I find it frustrating that CD reissues of Works Vol 2 don't have the Lake single version as a bonus track. The other solo hit of that period, 'Honky Tonk Train Blues', was on the album anyway.
    Is the 2002 a different version than any of the previous ones? Was it a new recording? Previously unreleased take?

I love that song! Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

Prog lives!

IQ do a good version of this track!!!

There is an alternate version on the from the beginning box set as well.