Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 R&R Hall of Fame Inductees..

2018 R&R Hall of Fame Inductees..

No Judas Priest inducted? And where is Iron Maiden? King Crimson, anyone? What a load of political bullshit this “Hall of Fame” is. And Sister Rosetta Tharpe is in??? Who the f*ck..

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Surprised Radiohead didn't get in, glad to see Sister Rosetta Tharpe get some credit.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe should've been in decades ago.

The Radiohead snub is pretty egregious and unexpected.

Not a fan of Bon Jovi, but glad to see the Moodies and Nina Simone in there. Dire Straits and the Cars seem like reasonable, if uninteresting, choices as well.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I wonder if the radiohead snub is because the band members trashed the Hall.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

A good class, however I have no idea what Nina Simone contributed to "rock 'n' roll."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Although I'm a huge fan, I am shocked (and pleased) that Radiohead did not get in. Their collective attitude sucks.
    Although I have no use for Bon Jovi's music, they have sold 130 million albums. That's a lot.
    No love for Metal. Again.
    The Moody Blues should have been in years ago. Congratulations!!!
    The Cars were a band I always loved (especially those first three albums.)
    Dire Straits was a bit surprising to me but I like it.

Next year I would sure like to see the following artists nominated:

Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Pixies
    XTC
    Guided By Voices
    King Crimson
    Judas Priest
    Kansas
    ELP
    Thin Lizzy
    Def Leppard (again, not a fan but 100 million albums sold?)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    A good class, however I have no idea what Nina Simone contributed to "rock 'n' roll."

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Am pleased for The Moody Blues- long overdue. Always felt that they were pioneers. I guess with Rush, Yes and now this, the ice is thawing...

Dire Straits will be interesting to see who turns up- been 20 odd years since Knopfler did anything with them. I like the band just fine but are they 'influential'?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I wonder if the radiohead snub is because the band members trashed the Hall.
    One does feel like that otherwise they'd have been nailed on...at least, they should have been. One of the last rock bands I could say that about.

Nina Simone always was very hard to pigeonhole. Not specifically jazz, blues or soul...but somehow all of them, and she was also a classically trained pianist so that was another strand to her sound. Seldom 'rock' but several songs she made famous were later covered by rock bands.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-13-2017 at 11:31 AM.

so who will be the token prog band next year, Kansas? (wait are they prog!?......)

'Tull, maybe (again, long overdue). Can't see Kansas ever getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    so who will be the token prog band next year, Kansas? (wait are they prog!?......)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Tull, maybe (again, long overdue). Can't see Kansas ever getting in.
    Yeah, Hitler's on the Rock Hall board. Kansas doesn't have a chance.

Agree with the Moodies being way long overdue, and I'm very happily surprised that one of the best guitarists to my ears, with a sound like no other and a sense of melody better than most, has been recognized (along with his Dire Straits bandmates).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Bon Jovi
    Total joke.

The Cars
    Not complaining, but they really don't need to be there. They had a career that was neither long nor distinguished, nor particularly influential.

Dire Straits
    Same as Cars, except that at least they can say that they were a huge influence on a Grammy winning album for hard rock/heavy metal (Crest of a Knave).

The Moody Blues
    No way - don't belong.

Nina Simone
    Not sure how this became a thing.

Radiohead was an obvious choice, but their disinterest in performing likely killed their candidacy. One does not just snub the rock hall and expect to get inducted...

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The Moody Blues
    No way - don't belong.
    Care to explain this one?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Care to explain this one?
    Not a particularly good or influential band. They've been eligible since before the Rock hall structure was even built and were treated like a joke until a couple of years ago, when the supply of boomer-era bands not already inducted was running thin.
    Not too hard to explain.

My god, more Pit Of Misery. Dilly Dilly!

What about Oasis for a start?
    Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, De Leppard, Whitesnake... The list goes on. Even Megadeth for fuck sake.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Although I'm a huge fan, I am shocked (and pleased) that Radiohead did not get in. Their collective attitude sucks.
    So Rock stars are meant to have a nice attitude? This being R&R and all.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

my thoughts exactly

I have no idea what Nina Simone contributed to "rock 'n' roll."

a fuck you attitude and some visceral protest songs and moments. she defines 'mercurial artist'

au courant :

Alabama's gotten me so upset
    Tennessee made me lose my rest
    And everybody knows about Mississippi goddam
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So Rock stars are meant to have a nice attitude? This being R&R and all.
    Exactly.

Keith Richards drug free.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

She's been "rediscovered" somewhat in recent years - a Pitchfork list of the 200 best 60s albums published earlier this year had numerous Nina Simone albums on it.

They rated "Wild is the Wind" as the 5th best album of the 60s (behind the White Album but ahead of Blonde on Blonde) and "Pastel Blues" at No. 21 (behind of The Stooges debut album, but ahead of The Supremes' Where Did Our Love Go?).

Okay. Not arguing that she's not great. Just that she's not "rock & roll."

Though, I guess that criteria sailed long ago....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Okay. Not arguing that she's not great. Just that she's not "rock & roll."

Though, I guess that criteria sailed long ago....
    You answered your own argument. She's just as roll & roll as Aretha Franklin, the Temptations, Run DMC, Tupac and NWA.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap