Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 R&R Hall of Fame Inductees..

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Yeah Sister Rosetta Tharpe deserves it....but not Nina Simone!
    Peter Gabriel is a fan of Nina Simone, so applying PE's 37 degrees of separation principle, inducting Nina Simone puts one more "Prog" artist in the Rock Hall. <And the crowd goes wild>

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Pink Floyd, Genesis......

King Crimson is obviously the most influential progressive rock band ever, but the HOF (Wenner, Robertson, Dave Marsh etc) considers optics important, and they probably don't know how to deal with the fact that inducting Crimson would mean Fripp and a slew of others in various band formations. It will be very interesting to see if Crimson is ever inducted. I doubt Fripp would show up anyway.
    I think it would be very similar to when ELO was inducted last year when only Jeff Lynne showed up. And also if Jethro Tull would ever be inducted.

As far as Crimson alumni is concerned, good thing for Bruford who is already in with Yes but it is a crying shame that extraordinary veteran musicians like Greg Lake, John Wetton, Tony Levin, Adrian Belew to name a few have not yet been honored for their amazing contributions to not only Prog but rock in general. But like there is country music awards, there is the PROG awards!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Here's a different take on the inductees this year:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...018-inductees/

I've got no issues with those who are getting in this year except for Bon Jovi. The dude is just a WalMart Springsteen without the gravitas. When your biggest impact is sparking the hair metal movement (and actually Def Leppard were ahead of him) and now giving suburban cougars an excuse to relive their misspent youth, there's little reason for you to be honored.
    Springsteen has gravitas?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not here, but certainly everywhere else.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

And is it my imagination or did someone back in the 80s or 90s have a comedy act that included this parody of "Fire":

Late last night I was smokin' in my bed
    Lit a match and put it to my head.
    Oh, I'm a stupid guy.
    Wo-oh-oh, I'm on fire.

I thought it was an Adam Sandler thing but can find no evidence on the mighty Intertubes.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The Zombies and the MC5 wuz robbed! Bon Jovi?! This is just willful perversity at this point....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When your biggest impact is sparking the hair metal movement (and actually Def Leppard were ahead of him)
    First of all, Quiet Riot was ahead of both of them. And it's glam metal we're talking about, not hair metal. But the point is still sound. Personally, I like the first two Bon Jovi albums, there's some good songs on them. But no way would I put them ahead of Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep, or any of a number of other bands yet to be honored.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But no way would I put them ahead of Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep, or any of a number of other bands yet to be honored.
    Neither of whom had anywhere near Bon Jovi's success in the U.S. or longevity.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Neither of whom had anywhere near Bon Jovi's success in the U.S. or longevity.
    Uriah Heep has very long longevity. They’ve been going on since 1970 until today, even regularly making new albums and touring based on them. Sure, David Byron is long dead, and Ken Hensley is long gone, but the band has continued with Mick Box and has maintained a loyal fan base.

Bands like Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep are marginal bands for the purposes of HOF induction. Won't get in. And there are a whole slew of those 80s hair metal cheese bands which are a joke. If they start inducting crapola like Whitesnake and their ilk into the Hall, it will drown what is already a very watered down HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Uriah Heep has very long longevity. They’ve been going on since 1970 until today, even regularly making new albums and touring based on them. Sure, David Byron is long dead, and Ken Hensley is long gone, but the band has continued with Mick Box and has maintained a loyal fan base.
    Okay, but nowhere near the scale of Bon Jovi, which was the point I was trying to make.

Bands like Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep are marginal bands for the purposes of HOF induction. Won't get in.
    Correct.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Put it this way: Given the Bon Jovi/Derek Shulman connection, it's probably the closest we'll get to Gentle Giant in the RRHOF.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Put it this way: Given the Bon Jovi/Derek Shulman connection, it's probably the closest we'll get to Gentle Giant in the RRHOF.
    What's the connection? Did Shulman produce something of BJ?

What's the connection? Did Shulman produce something of BJ?
    Shulman discovered Bon Jovi, helped put the band together, arranged initial sessions and signed him to Polygram-- To some extent his success with Bon Jovi was instrumental in building Shulman's A&R career. There's talk that he may have ghost-cowritten some of the early songs but that's speculation. No doubt however that Shulman will get name checked at the RRHOF when Bon Jovi gets in.

Bands like Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep are marginal bands for the purposes of HOF induction. Won't get in. And there are a whole slew of those 80s hair metal cheese bands which are a joke. If they start inducting crapola like Whitesnake and their ilk into the Hall, it will drown what is already a very watered down HOF.
    Totally agree re TL and UH... . and 99.9% of those hair metal bands are a joke. However, they shouldnt be done with metal altogether. Priest and Maiden are well deserving of induction and will get in.

Shulman discovered Bon Jovi, helped put the band together, arranged initial sessions and signed him to Polygram-- To some extent his success with Bon Jovi was instrumental in building Shulman's A&R career. There's talk that he may have ghost-cowritten some of the early songs but that's speculation. No doubt however that Shulman will get name checked at the RRHOF when Bon Jovi gets in.
    Wow, did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Totally agree re TL and UH... . and 99.9% of those hair metal bands are a joke. However, they shouldnt be done with metal altogether. Priest and Maiden are well deserving of induction and will get in.
    I make a distinction between metal and most of what dominated MTV in the 80s, ie the cheesy hair metal stuff and that includes Mötley Crüe. Iron Maiden I agree deserves to be in. Not a Judas Priest fan. Someone earlier mentioned Motörhead, I thought they got in a few years ago?
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-15-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    I suspect that, now that some of the more mainstream and prog-oriented acts have made it, that the Hall will finally address these glaring omissions.

I'm a big fan of 70s Heep but I don't think they will get in. No strong media presence, though they were an important group.

I think in recent years some of the most egregrious omissions have been addressed. But a few remain- The Zombies, Kate Bush (at least one of those should have gone in this year), Roxy Music, the aforementioned metal groups.

As for hair or glam metal, I don't see the point, and certainly not at the moment. I don't mind some of the earlier bands in moderation- 'Crue, Twisted Sister, Ratt, and the later Cinderella- but really I think Kiss and Van Halen covered that ground anyway and both are (rightly) in.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-15-2017 at 12:41 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    . If they start inducting crapola like Whitesnake and their ilk into the Hall, it will drown what is already a very watered down HOF.
    They just did with BJ
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They should expand the amount of inductees for each year. There's a huge backlog of worthy acts from the 70s/80s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Shulman discovered Bon Jovi, helped put the band together, arranged initial sessions and signed him to Polygram-- .
    Shulman had a big hand in the whole 80's glam/hair metal band era. He was even featured in the Metal Evolution show on glam metal, as he was one of the key A&R guys who made that whole thing happen.

Bands like Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep are marginal bands for the purposes of HOF induction. .
    Which only proves my point about how stupid this whole situation is, that somehow Bon Jovi isn't "marginal" but Heep and Lizzy are. THe most important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is the music, and in that arena, Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep knock Bon Jovi in the dirt. I don't care who sold the most records Stateside, or who sold out Giants Stadium five nights in a row in 1987 or whatever.

And if record sales and such are so frelling important, than how did Velvet Underground get in? If VU gets in on the basis of "influence" than why not Heep and Lizzy?! I don't know how many hard rock and metals I've seen cite them as influences. There's even one metal band who named themselves after Demons And Wizards.

Hard to believe "Wings" is not in.
    Beyond the obvious of having The Beatles great songwriter and performer, they sold plenty of records, toured the world, released a string of top albums through the 70's and showed more versatility than just about any other band I can think of.

Which only proves my point about how stupid this whole situation is, that somehow Bon Jovi isn't "marginal" but Heep and Lizzy are. THe most important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is the music, and in that arena, Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep knock Bon Jovi in the dirt. I don't care who sold the most records Stateside, or who sold out Giants Stadium five nights in a row in 1987 or whatever.
    Then you really don't understand what a "Hall of Fame" is about.

And if record sales and such are so frelling important, than how did Velvet Underground get in?
    That's an excellent question. Never made any sense to me.