Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lark's Tongue In Aspic 40th anniv and boxset

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    There is an interview with him from 1991 published in Ptolemaic Terrascope that I believe can be found on the 'Net.
    I interviewed him on the phone in 2000 for the liner notes to Gilgamesh's "Arriving Twice" (Cuneiform Records), since Muir was a former associate of Muir's in the band Sunship (1971-72).
    And of course he was interviewed by Sid Smith around that time, excerpts from the interview were used in his book as well as in liner notes for various KCCC releases.
    There is also an extensive 2 part interview from 1993 on www.projekction.net:

http://www.projekction.net/phpBB3/vi...hp?f=47&t=2754
    http://www.projekction.net/phpBB3/vi...hp?f=47&t=2763

The other KC alumni interviews are also fantastic, such a shame that the transcription of further interviews hasn't been finished as promised

Ok, I did a comparison between the 30th and 40th stereo versions...

I connected a second CD player on my stereo's Aux input and played them simultaneously and zapped between the two...
    And I switched both versions of deck, just to make sure and no error induced by a different amplifier input level.

I notice that the 40th are notably louder, maybe a tad more precise, but this is a question of remastering, isn't it?

As for the remix, I can't say I noticed much difference, if any...

So if some can give an example where there is an evident remix touch induced by Wilson??

PS: I would've tried with both versions of Red I have, but I lent the 40th version to a buddy
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Ok, I did a comparison between the 30th and 40th stereo versions...

I connected a second CD player on my stereo's Aux input and played them simultaneously and zapped between the two...
    And I switched both versions of deck, just to make sure and no error induced by a different amplifier input level.

I notice that the 40th are notably louder, maybe a tad more precise, but this is a question of remastering, isn't it?

As for the remix, I can't say I noticed much difference, if any...

So if some can give an example where there is an evident remix touch induced by Wilson??

PS: I would've tried with both versions of Red I have, but I lent the 40th version to a buddy
    No point with Red, as there is no new stereo mix - they felt it was fine as-is, so left it alone, though it was remastered.

As far as LTIA, there shouldn't be noticeable changes in the mix, with respect to instrument placement across the stereo image; what there should be (and is) is a greater clarity and transparency between the layers. You can hear individual parts (at least, I can) far more clearly.

Still haven't received my copy from DGM. Figure I will give it another week, then cancel. They had no problem charging my credit card over 5 weeks ago.

Unless I absolutely have to, I prefer not to buy from DGM because they tend to drop the ball. Burning Shed however, always comes through in the clutch!
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

I ordered my box set (couldn't resist) about a week after the release date, and got it delivered within 3 days from one of my favourite suppliers here in Germany.

Good to have reliable suppliers.

Yep, I'm thinking this going on the Xmas list!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    No point with Red, as there is no new stereo mix - they felt it was fine as-is, so left it alone, though it was remastered.
    No, it wasn't. For stereo, the 40th of Red just contains the 30th mastering. For some reason it was turned up just a tad in volume but it's the same mastering.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    No, it wasn't. For stereo, the 40th of Red just contains the 30th mastering. For some reason it was turned up just a tad in volume but it's the same mastering.
    Hey Jeff (nice to see you here... wondered if you'd joined up),

That's what I figured what they did with LTIA as well... Though Jkelman is right, you can hear more clearly the separate instruments, partly because it's louder, but not just that... but I attribute that to a remastering...
    Remixing is touching the balance of instruments between themselves, right??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Oops, of course you're correct - sorry, my bad.

Hey Jeff (nice to see you here... wondered if you'd joined up),

That's what I figured what they did with LTIA as well... Though Jkelman is right, you can hear more clearly the separate instruments, partly because it's louder, but not just that... but I attribute that to a remastering...
    The balance of the instruments is only one aspect to mixing. Where they appear in the stereo (or now surround) field is another. Possible addition of EQ, reverb or other things is another. Mixing is basically the task of taking all those tracks and putting them together in some way that makes some sense.

It could be this or any number of other things ...

Remixing is done from the multitracks used to create a final mix.

Remastering is done from the final mix.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    The balance of the instruments is only one aspect to mixing.
    Where they appear in the stereo (or now surround) field is another.
    Possible addition of EQ, reverb or other things is another.
    Mixing is basically the task of taking all those tracks and putting them together in some way that makes some sense.
    I'd have thought the placement in the visual image part of the remastering, but I guess you're right

Remixing is done from the multitracks used to create a final mix.

Remastering is done from the final mix.
    yes, I know that, but to make indivudual instruments clearer from the rest is nore like "cleaning/cleansing" the individual tracks, which is generally understood as part of the remastering, isn't it??

yes, I know that, but to make indivudual instruments clearer from the rest is nore like "cleaning/cleansing" the individual tracks, which is generally understood as part of the remastering, isn't it??
    Actually, no. One can not alter the individual tracks unless the multracks are involved. That is called remixing. Of course, the remastering process can make some instruments sound more prominent.

I guess it could referred to as "cleaning," but it's really just second guessing the original levels agreed upon by the original engineer/s and producer/s.

To bring up levels of a specific instrument when remastering a final mix would not really be possible as all the levels have been adjusted and are on the final stereo or mono master tape. You can do it via EQing because adding certain EQ frequencies will bring clarity to certain things. For example, if you thought the voice on a stereo master tape was not high enough, you could add some 3k to try to bring it out a bit, but this is quite different than working with multitracks.

I'd have thought the placement in the visual image part of the remastering, but I guess you're right

Except that mastering doesn't work with individual tracks, so as per above, yes I am right ((. Mastering can, however, make some tracks stand out more than others depending on how they eq it. but we're talking about EQ'ing the stereo (or 5.1) master, not individual tracks; that takes place during the mixing process.

Lark's Tongues is very definitely REMIXED, it's miles better than the original mix IMHO.

I got mine a few weeks ago, and then the wife quickly hid it from me, so as to keep it from accidentally being opened before Christmas

What a surprise to see David Cross also playing the flute in the 30-mins improv (he seemed to handle it pretty well too)...
    Why the hell didn't they make him play more often that instrument?
    I seem to recall reading in the liner notes for The Great Deceiver, that Cross experimented with flute and singing in the early rehearsals, but said that they were activities "best left to non-smokers." I seem to recall (damnfino what happened to those liner notes) that Wetton also played some violin and they experimented with a violin duet - I don't think that ever made it onstage. At least it doesn't seem like there is any point on the Zoom Club or Hull College releases in which there are two violins going

Looking forward to receiving mine on Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    I seem to recall (damnfino what happened to those liner notes) that Wetton also played some violin and they experimented with a violin duet - I don't think that ever made it onstage.
    It actually did - until they played Leicester and members of Family were in the audience and told Wetton after the show that he'd played badly - he never touched a violin in public after that.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    It actually did - until they played Leicester and members of Family were in the audience and told Wetton after the show that he'd played badly - he never touched a violin in public after that.
    I take it that it was either Family's Weider or Grech that were in the attendence... most likely Wetton's violin experimentations came from his Family days

Bump, since most of you are getting their boxsets in the snail mail

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Lark's Tongues is very definitely REMIXED, it's miles better than the original mix IMHO.
    I didn't hear the guitar arpeggios in BoS as clear as on original record - and the vocals are too much upfront.

I have an extra box set, still in its original mailing package unopened. I ordered a second one because I honestly thought mine floated out to sea from Kennedy Airport after Hurricane Sandy. It didn't, and arrived a few days after the disaster struck, perfectly intact, and on the same day my power came on. I am waiting to sell this when they stop producing the set and I PROMISE it will be sold for EXACTLY what I paid for it (roughly $120 for the set plus my $20 postage= $140. Your choice of shipping, your cost. Pay Pal ONLY.) I might even waive my shipping cost as "cost of doing business" which would mean $120 USD plus whatever the shipping charges are to your location. I will wait ONE MONTH AFTER THE FIRST (and ONLY?) PRESSING IS SOLD OUT. I am looking to recoup my cost and make someone happy who may have missed it. I might even take installments (2-3 payments) and because we all are friends here. I am NOT looking for a profit; I am just looking to make someone happy...but like I said, I will not sell this set until the last ones are sold at DGM, Burning Shed, or Amazon. I want it to mean something to someone. I'll post on the OT board when I'll sell it. First come, first served.
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel3 View Post
    I have an extra box set, still in its original mailing package unopened. I ordered a second one because I honestly thought mine floated out to sea from Kennedy Airport after Hurricane Sandy. It didn't, and arrived a few days after the disaster struck, perfectly intact, and on the same day my power came on. I am waiting to sell this when they stop producing the set and I PROMISE it will be sold for EXACTLY what I paid for it (roughly $120 for the set plus my $20 postage= $140. Your choice of shipping, your cost. Pay Pal ONLY.) I might even waive my shipping cost as "cost of doing business" which would mean $120 USD plus whatever the shipping charges are to your location. I will wait ONE MONTH AFTER THE FIRST (and ONLY?) PRESSING IS SOLD OUT. I am looking to recoup my cost and make someone happy who may have missed it. I might even take installments (2-3 payments) and because we all are friends here. I am NOT looking for a profit; I am just looking to make someone happy...but like I said, I will not sell this set until the last ones are sold at DGM, Burning Shed, or Amazon. I want it to mean something to someone. I'll post on the OT board when I'll sell it. First come, first served.
    What a very nice, civilized gesture. 'Nuff said. Had to wait for my power for eight days while having the box set but I still have my house.