Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Bill Bruford drumming

I like just about everything the Broof has laid down, but One Of A Kind is the bomb for me.
    Last edited by nosebone; 02-10-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    But one of my BB favorite moments is on the live version of 21st Century Schizoid Man from 'The Night Watch' live at the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Nov. 23, 1973, during the jamming improv. section when Fripp (& Cross) drop out and it is just Bill listening and answering intently to Wetton's fantastic bass playing. The two of them gradually decrease the volume--with those great Bruford subtle hi-hat accents--before bringing up the volume & intensity to when Fripp joins in again. A true study in dynamics!

Jumpin' Jesus on a jackhammer, that's some mind-blowing drumming. Together with that powerhouse lead-in of "The Talking Drum," that whole NIGHTWATCH sequence should come with a warning label: may cause heart palpitations in the weak of heart!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

"Trio"

U MAD?
    flute juice

any Bruford is good Bruford as far as I am concerned

Though I do Love the 72-74 Crimso jams

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I agree. I also liked his drumming on Robbery, Assault and Battery.
    i always said that i didn't think Chester was a good fit. he wasn't a rock drummer. Bruford fit the bill a lot better.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

This clip, from a drum clinic of his I attended, is especially good ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGprBR4Uc88

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    i always said that i didn't think Chester was a good fit. he wasn't a rock drummer. Bruford fit the bill a lot better.
    Hmmm? Forgive me me for going slightly off subject, but Phil Collins couldn't have picked a better drummer for both Genesis and for his solo career than Chester Thompson, while Bill's drumming is technical, Chester's seemed to be more in tune with Phil's hybrid drumming.

Yet back on subject, Bill's drumming and percussion work with Genesis. Might have not often fit Genesis's ridged and to the books music, but he added a different spin to some songs that I really liked.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Heart of the Sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Heart of the Sunrise.
    +1 hands down
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Lino
    King Crimson - USA

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    +1 hands down
    You're on a long list of those that love Heart of The Sunrise.

I love everything he ever did,hence him being my favorite drummer of all time. I have a question though. Why does he get so much flack from fans for his solo on the Yessongs version of Perpetual Change? To my ears there is nothing to bitch about. He's playing to the song's feel and having a great time.

Hmmm? Forgive me me for going slightly off subject, but Phil Collins couldn't have picked a better drummer for both Genesis and for his solo career than Chester Thompson, while Bill's drumming is technical, Chester's seemed to be more in tune with Phil's hybrid drumming.

Yet back on subject, Bill's drumming and percussion work with Genesis. Might have not often fit Genesis's ridged and to the books music, but he added a different spin to some songs that I really liked.
    Fully Agree. SO version of Cinema Show is my favorite - love BB drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I love everything he ever did,hence him being my favorite drummer of all time. I have a question though. Why does he get so much flack from fans for his solo on the Yessongs version of Perpetual Change? To my ears there is nothing to bitch about. He's playing to the song's feel and having a great time.
    I never realized that anyone would bitch about his drumming on Perpetual Change. Granted he's done better through out the years, but I always loved the solo.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Yeah, I think it was a mistake not to include on the official album Supper's Ready version with Bruford. Much sharper than recorded version with Thompson.
    I had no idea he played Supper's Ready,where can one hear this?

I never realized that anyone would bitch about his drumming on Perpetual Change. Granted he's done better through out the years, but I always loved the solo.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I like just about everything the Broof has laid down, but One Of A Kind is the bomb for me.
    The song or the album Chris?

Is there no love for his playing on the Kazumi Watanabe CDs

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Is there no love for his playing on the Kazumi Watanabe CDs
    Oh! Yeah! So much so I bought The Spice of Live dvd for a fee of $55.

I just started a thread about it,please contribute.

Count me in for Heart of the Sunrise as well...

I've seen a video on youtube a year ago or so, maybe 2 years ago.. Here's part 2. Have no idea where's part 1...

Although a YT clip has already been posted, I highly recommend seeking out any of the available live bootleg shows from the '76 tour, where you can hear Bruford play the whole set. Some people are lukewarm on his performance with Genesis (and Bill himself claims he was not as behaved as he should have been) but I quite like the different style of that tour.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Close To The Edge
    Heart of The Sunrise
    Any from KC's USA (Get your hands on the unedited version of the full show w/jams and all)
    Lucky Seven
    Cinema Show (Seconds Out)
    Entire first UK album
    Entire One Of A Kind album

Quote Originally Posted by EProg827 View Post
    Close To The Edge
    Heart of The Sunrise
    Any from KC's USA (Get your hands on the unedited version of the full show w/jams and all)
    Lucky Seven
    Cinema Show (Seconds Out)
    Entire first UK album
    Entire One Of A Kind album
    I would add in Gradually Going Tornado in that list. This album gets overlooked probably because Allan Holdsworth is MIA,but damn this is a great record.