Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

Casey is great on some parts (which are mainly the ones he sang on the album) because they seem to fit his voice better. When he sings DG's parts it's just not the same, IMO. The idea to add a second vocalist would add some good diversity to their sound.
    <sig out of order>

Jon Neudorf
    Is there really no one else digging this?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post

Jon
    I think the scarcity of reactions online compared to the high profile of the musicians involved is symptomatic of the fact that this album is not immediate and takes a while to sink in.
    As far as I'm concerned, it has grown on me a lot but I still haven't reached the point where I feel I will keep returning to it in years to come. I think the album suffers a lot from its sequencing and the separation in 2 disks (unlike the Spock's Beard album where this works). Broken Cord is the tricky one for me here: I just don't get the pointless stops and starts of the second half. Still something keeps me trying which is usually a good sign when things finally click.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 07-23-2018 at 05:28 AM.

Jon
    Nah. I thought this was quite mediocre at best.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Jon
    It took 3-4 listens for it to click with me but when it did it did in a big way. I love it. I share LeFrog's issues with the song sequencing which is why I created my own running order (posted prior page) which I think works much better. I've been listening to this everyday for weeks now. I'm a little worried I may get burned out on it so I really should listen to something else for a few days.

It's just not that good.
    Even Roine took to Facebook last night imploring people to keep listening as it's a "grower."
    Huge Stolt fan here but it's just not clicking with me and that makes me sad.
    The Prog Corner

I like it a lot and keep coming back to it. To each their own.

I like it more with each spin and I keep hearing new things. Also, I've still not explored the "bonus" material as much as the rest of the album, so there will be more to discover there.
    <sig out of order>

I enjoy most things Roine has ever done but this one did not click. The vocals are the main turnoff.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    It's just not that good.
    Even Roine took to Facebook last night imploring people to keep listening as it's a "grower."
    Huge Stolt fan here but it's just not clicking with me and that makes me sad.
    I always wonder how the artist himself can claim his own album is a grower. Sounds like the easy thing to say when your album is met with mixed reviews. It's mostly the listeners' reactions over time that make it a "grower", it's not something that can be decreed from the off.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 07-23-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I always wonder how the artist himself can claim his own album is a grower. Sounds like the easy thing to say when your album is met with mixed reviews. It's mostly the listeners' reactions over time that make it a "grower", it's not something that can be decreed from the off.
    As an artist, surely one can make music that is intended for consumption in different ways. One can make something that will have a great first impact, but no lasting value. One can make something that you know is subtle and takes a few listens to understand. Of course, what you intended is never necessarily what people experience, but I see no reason to dismiss the creator's views here.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Well, I bought it, and I've tried to spin it a few times. It hasn't clicked with me yet, but I'm still working on it. Don't know why, but the drumming was a little annoying at first. Kind of a "out of place" or "trying too hard" vibe. But I've not listened to it all the way through yet; hell, I've not made it to the second disk yet. So, I've got to take some time and let it sink in without distractions.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I grabbed the show from Loreley for a friend and thought I would give it a listen. I got part way through the first song and lost interest. I think it was Ashes Of Dawn.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Jon Neudorf
    Keeps on getting better. Love Daniel's vocals throughout. There is a fragile beauty about them that I am really enjoying.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Well, I bought it, and I've tried to spin it a few times. It hasn't clicked with me yet, but I'm still working on it. Don't know why, but the drumming was a little annoying at first. Kind of a "out of place" or "trying too hard" vibe.
    This is clearly a heretical opinion. According to the Prog world, you are only allowed to love Marco Minnemann - no other position is acceptable.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I got my copy last week. Still giving it a closer listen, at first I felt it was like a new Flower Kings but as I listen more, the vocals, keyboards and guitar each defines its own style except the drumming. Marco, this is not Joe Satriani on stage with you..

But one thing: on which song does Jon Anderson sing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I got my copy last week. Still giving it a closer listen, at first I felt it was like a new Flower Kings but as I listen more, the vocals, keyboards and guitar each defines its own style except the drumming. Marco, this is not Joe Satriani on stage with you..

But one thing: on which song does Jon Anderson sing?
    Credits here: http://www.relayer35.com/Yescography/TheSeaWithin.htm

He sings on Broken Cord...but blink and you will miss it.
    <sig out of order>

My favorite tune on this right now is The Roaring Silence. Love the bass playing and the song has a great vibe and groove.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    My favorite tune on this right now is The Roaring Silence. Love the bass playing and the song has a great vibe and groove.
    Same here. Interesting vocal melody.

I'm still trying to figure out where I stand with this album. I recently got this, the new Mystery and Southern Empire discs, and live Haken. The Sea Within is the only one that hasn't grabbed me immediately. Having two vocalists kind of confuses things. I like Daniel's vocals a lot. I also like Casey, but he's a little "safe". Almost like a Dave Matthews kind of guy. I only know his work with Flying Colors prior to this. The overall diversity of the record is cool, but it's to the point of keeping it from having a strong identity. I'm at the "deleting tracks to make a good album" stage now.