Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Is he gonna release Flower Power on LP with better sound?
    I doubt it. He lamented the drum sound on that album, which is the cause of why he looks back on it so unhappily.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I doubt it. He lamented the drum sound on that album, which is the cause of why he looks back on it so unhappily.
    If that's the case, it would be *so* easy to replace the drums with state-of-the-art software such as Superior Drummer 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDetUFTq3E

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    All the more reason to remix and re-release it.

Interesting...I never noticed anything off about the drums on Flower Power. Has anyone else noticed? What is the issue, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Interesting...I never noticed anything off about the drums on Flower Power. Has anyone else noticed? What is the issue, exactly?
    Me neither to be honest. My problem is the heavy compression throughout that's painfully evident on "The Final Deal." Needs a new mastering.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    If that's the case, it would be *so* easy to replace the drums with state-of-the-art software such as Superior Drummer 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDetUFTq3E
    I suggested something similar to Roine years ago, so he's aware of the possibility. Maybe it's just low on his list of priorities since he's focused on new music these days.
    <sig out of order>

Another song from the album, this one with Casey on vocals. Not a bad song, but not one that is grabbing me instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    I've never noticed anything wrong with the production or mix on that album -- unlike The Sum of No Evil. Whoever mixed that record jacked up the treble and then practically brickwalled the compression. It's stark and jarring to my ears - not an ounce of warmth at all.
    Last edited by Splicer; 06-13-2018 at 06:02 AM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Another song from the album, this one with Casey on vocals. Not a bad song, but not one that is grabbing me instantly.

I get the same feeling with this one. I thought Roine's playing was very Flower Kings though. I had never heard McPherson before and find him quite similar to Gildenlöw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

Well, this just put a damper on my enthusiasm. What a lame track. Sounds like demo.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I've never noticed anything wrong with the production or mix on that album -- unlike The Sum of No Fears. Whoever mixed that record jacked up the treble and then practically brickwalled the compression. It's stark and jarring to my ears - not an ounce of warmth at all.
    Weird. I think Sum sounds great, while Flower Power sounds quite muddy compared to the albums before and after it. Not terrible by any means and I still love it and wouldn't really care if it was never remixed/remastered. Though, if Roine did decide to do that, I'd definitely get a copy (as long as it wasn't just on vinyl, I have no use for vinyl). If he remixed/remastered Sum, I wouldn't bother getting a copy, as I think the original sounds just fine.

Well, I've got this thing pre-ordered so I'm just going to wait to hear it all at once when I have it. This is why I don't listen to previews/early track releases. I think it can raise or lower expectations unnecessarily. I suspect that in this case, they aren't releasing the best tracks first, hopefully.

Here's a link to the compression readings on all the Flower Kings albums:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...r+kings&album=

Very odd that the album Roine said was too compressed and he gave a remix-remastering to (Unfold The Future) was the FK album with the most dynamics originally! And the remaster didn't increase the DR numbers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Weird. I think Sum sounds great, while Flower Power sounds quite muddy compared to the albums before and after it. Not terrible by any means and I still love it and wouldn't really care if it was never remixed/remastered. Though, if Roine did decide to do that, I'd definitely get a copy (as long as it wasn't just on vinyl, I have no use for vinyl). If he remixed/remastered Sum, I wouldn't bother getting a copy, as I think the original sounds just fine.
    Then there is the fact that not everyone has the same range of hearing or hears the same thing the same way (i.e. Yammy/Laurel). Something has to be pretty lacking in the high end to be "muddy" to my ears which seem quite tuned into the that range. Too much treble sounds like the recorded version of bright white tile with a 100 watt bulb shining on it.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I love the sound of that LP. Yeah, it's compressed as hell but all the instruments have space and everything is crystal clear - quite a feat with all those vintage instruments they used.
    Flower Power, on the other hand, just plain sounds off. Still a great record though!
    The Prog Corner

0/2 so far for me - but I will definitely listen to the whole enchilada when it comes out.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Then there is the fact that not everyone has the same range of hearing or hears the same thing the same way (i.e. Yammy/Laurel). Something has to be pretty lacking in the high end to be "muddy" to my ears which seem quite tuned into the that range. Too much treble sounds like the recorded version of bright white tile with a 100 watt bulb shining on it.
    It does not need to lack in the high end to be muddy, IMO. It could have too much going on in the low midrange.
    <sig out of order>

Interview with Roine here: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/...the-sea-within

Mostly Sea Within talk - Some Anderson / Stolt as well

Pete Trewavas reports that he'll be joining the band for Night of the Prog, filling in for Jonas, who has another obligation:

I shall be joining the new progressive supergroup The Sea Within, for their debut show at the Night Of The Prog festival Loreley on Saturday 14th July

M y good friends Roine Stolt and Jonas Reingold, asked me a while ago if I would help out, as Jonas is otherwise engaged, so I shall be stepping in to his formidable boots for the evening.

It will be great to catch up with Daniel Gildenlow and Casey McPherson and meeting Tom Brislin and Marco Minnemann and I am very much looking forward to playing with these very talented gentleman for the first airing of their stunning debut album.

I hope to see some familiar faces in the audience if you are around.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Pete Trewavas reports that he'll be joining the band for Night of the Prog, filling in for Jonas, who has another obligation:

I shall be joining the new progressive supergroup The Sea Within, for their debut show at the Night Of The Prog festival Loreley on Saturday 14th July

M y good friends Roine Stolt and Jonas Reingold, asked me a while ago if I would help out, as Jonas is otherwise engaged, so I shall be stepping in to his formidable boots for the evening.

It will be great to catch up with Daniel Gildenlow and Casey McPherson and meeting Tom Brislin and Marco Minnemann and I am very much looking forward to playing with these very talented gentleman for the first airing of their stunning debut album.

I hope to see some familiar faces in the audience if you are around.
    Old news in fact but it's nice to have Pete's take on things.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    0/2 so far for me - but I will definitely listen to the whole enchilada when it comes out.
    I'm kinda feeling the same way. These two songs haven't really hooked me, but it's quite possible they will grow on me -- and in the context of the whole record, maybe they will work better.

It's also possible that they haven't released the "best" songs ahead of the main album release. Fingers crossed!

new interview with Marco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN0su8toXGk with some focus on The Sea Within

Interesting tidbit for Flower Kings historians - at the very beginning he says Jonas originally contacted him about 7 years ago to see if he was interested in drumming for The Flower Kings (this would have been right before Banks of Eden recording) He had commitments to The Aristocrats and Steven Wilson at the time so wasn't able.

I think Felix was a perfect fit but it is an interesting what if? Also adds just a little more to the idea that The Sea Within is really TFK 2.0 (with 3 TFK members, an almost member and Tom) or would this be TFK 7.0 with all the changes the band has had over the years. This being the most extreme change.

edit: here is another interview with Marco where he says the same thing. This is a much more interesting interview than the above one. Mostly all Sea Within talk.
    Last edited by SRS; 06-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.

If this is another iteration of The Flower Kings, I maintain that the missing spark is Tomas Bodin's composition and arrangement skills. I've always said that a big part of the TFK sound is Tomas.

If this is another iteration of The Flower Kings, I maintain that the missing spark is Tomas Bodin's composition and arrangement skills. I've always said that a big part of the TFK sound is Tomas.
    Agreed, Tomas is irreplaceable in that band

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Agreed, Tomas is irreplaceable in that band
    Totally agreed. I love Tomas and his contributions to TFK.

Having listened to all of The Sea Within, I really feel that this is a different beast. Roine’s style is still there and it results in similarities to TFK, but there really is a different overall feel and vibe going on. The first song still didn’t really do much for me, but there are some other really cool tunes on this disc. I’m glad to have it.