Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    Hmm... Not too sure about this. Im gonna wait until there are a couple of live dvds, some kickstarters and boxsets from the first gig.

I've already got the 3CD/2 DVD boxset on order!

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Thanks, I do not see Eddie Jobson in that page.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Which gives Eddie ulcers to this day.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by marltonfan View Post
    I figured Roine got him that job as he had also played base with Hackett a few years back.
    Hackett is perfectly capable of spotting talent all by himself. I am pretty sure he is on top of all the talent out there in progland :-).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Hackett is perfectly capable of spotting talent all by himself. I am pretty sure he is on top of all the talent out there in progland :-).
    True, and I imagine he spent time with him on multiple cruises.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Which gives Eddie ulcers to this day.
    I see it mentions that Anderson is currently playing with the Anderson/Ponty Band, but doesn't mention ARW.

Also, after seeing the Igor entry, I thought about how I'd heard people mention some improprieties allegedly perpetrated by him, but I never knew any details. So I Googled it and found this crack VH-1 journalism, old news to all of you I'm sure:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100806...0728/yes.jhtml

What was the outcome of this, and what the hell was he thinking, or taking? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What was the outcome of this, and what the hell was he thinking, or taking? Crazy.
    That he was a rock star, and that made him so sexy he could get away with anything. Even being a Wild And Crazy Guy. (It also sounds like he might have been absolutely hammered.) Same as Harvey Weinstein or Roger Ailes being The Biggest Of Big Shots, which also made them so sexy they could get away with anything.

Not that any of that is or ever was true.

His behaviour was disgraceful and the band were right to get rid.

Interesting that the old article thinks there's something abnormal about not hearing of sexual assaults by members of progressive rock bands.

This is sort of like a Flower Kings line-up, with three of them having been in that band. Brislin I thought was very good during his brief time in Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not that any of that is or ever was true.
    Wait, What part are we talking about, Igor, Harvey or Ailes? I thought the book was pretty much closed on all three.

Ugh, thanks for that. Another snarky "music journalist" from the days of asshole journalism making shit remarks about prog. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    His behaviour was disgraceful and the band were right to get rid.
    I always thought they fired Igor right then and there. Did they? If so, who did they replace him with for the rest of the tour?

Interesting that the old article thinks there's something abnormal about not hearing of sexual assaults by members of progressive rock bands.
    Actually, the article says "Until now, though, no one has ever heard of an sexual assault from a member of a progressive rock band." So, no, they don't think it's normal to hear about assaults from prog musicians.

It's a shame about Igor -- I thought his chops were decent on "The Ladder" -- but yeah, that behavior was offensive to the extreme.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wait, What part are we talking about, Igor, Harvey or Ailes? I thought the book was pretty much closed on all three.
    Baribrotzer meant that the idea that "they were so sexy" was untrue.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    So, no, they don't think it's normal to hear about assaults from prog musicians.
    That's what I meant- maybe it got lost in translation. Snark/disbelief about prog musicians not going around and sexually assaulting people. Not an article which has aged very well, I think.

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/date...id=1&qdec=2000

This suggests he saw out the tour after his arrest, but there were only 8 dates left at that point. Then he was gone. Brislin came in later that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    It just occurs to me that what I meant wasn't obvious, and could be taken as exactly the opposite of what I intended.

What I meant was none of them were "so sexy they could get away with anything", whether through being a rock star, or being powerful. The women certainly didn't think so, although Ailes and Weinstein may have bought and/or intimidated them into silence. For that matter, considering the time in which Igor did it, his big mistake may have been choosing wildly inappropriate women to be obnoxious to: security guards who weren't star-struck fans, whose job involved not putting up with crap from men, and who might have been in a better position to report him than most.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Hackett is perfectly capable of spotting talent all by himself. I am pretty sure he is on top of all the talent out there in progland.
    Yes, he obviously knows all about everything and vice-versa when it comes to progland. If anyone does, he would be the one. He and perhaps Wakeman.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't see Tony O'Reilly, who actually toured as a band member.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    I've always said: No Tony, No Yes.
    (So they brought Tony Kaye back.)
    The Prog Corner

As I recall, Tomas was going to help out on keyboards for Moon Safari, but now is having renewed trouble with Tinnitus, so had to pull out of that.
    That's a damned shame. I don't think it can be understated what Bodin brings to Flower Kings records. His composition (especially when it comes to variations on themes) and arrangement skills are a large part of what you're hearing.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Wasn't that Gavin Harrison?

Yeah, crap, I get them confused for some reason. In any case, Jonas with any high quality drummer is going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    That's a damned shame. I don't think it can be understated what Bodin brings to Flower Kings records. His composition (especially when it comes to variations on themes) and arrangement skills are a large part of what you're hearing.
    Well, I know on the early albums, Roine had complete songs (arrangements and all) for the band to play over. He said a lot of the original sequencer stuff that he used to fill in parts would actually remain on the finished album. I think he gave Bodin writing credits where Bodin actually wrote something. However, from talking to band members it does sound like Bodin's use of sounds would often change the character of songs that Roine put together, so he certainly had a big impact. But from what Roine and other have said, the songs and arrangements were basically complete when the other members added their parts. From Unfold on though, I think things were done more cooperatively.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Well, I know on the early albums, Roine had complete songs (arrangements and all) for the band to play over. He said a lot of the original sequencer stuff that he used to fill in parts would actually remain on the finished album. I think he gave Bodin writing credits where Bodin actually wrote something. However, from talking to band members it does sound like Bodin's use of sounds would often change the character of songs that Roine put together, so he certainly had a big impact. But from what Roine and other have said, the songs and arrangements were basically complete when the other members added their parts. From Unfold on though, I think things were done more cooperatively.
    Whatever the process was, it certainly helped create some of my favorite music ever recorded.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    Jan Schellen and Dylan Howe for that matter, I'm surprised at you Henry that you missed those two - since you are the YES curator!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Jan Schellen and Dylan Howe for that matter, I'm surprised at you Henry that you missed those two - since you are the YES curator!
    Heaven & Earth is missing too. Has it been wiped from YES history? Or did YES history end in 2013 when that page was last updated...?

It's interesting how every thread here eventually turns into a Yes thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Thonk98 View Post
    It's interesting how every thread here eventually turns into a Yes thread.
    Dear god... You're right!