Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Probably the most encouraging news to me is that they're actually recording together in the same studio. What a concept.
    That didn't even register when I read it this morning, but yeah. This is a promising move.

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    Hmm... Not too sure about this. Im gonna wait until there are a couple of live dvds, some kickstarters and boxsets from the first gig.
    Surely you must be getting this confused with the Anderson Ponty Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm assuming he'll have prime front man duties here.
    Not to assume too much from one tiny piece of information, but DG was front and center in one of the photos posted on FB.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Thoughts:
    5. Sounds like they're downplaying the Prog aspect of the music. Why? Look at the line-up. Anything but straight forward comfort Prog would be a disappointment.
    Not sure wether this was you being sarcastic / cynical but I for one am glad they are consciously trying to add pop influences because "straight forward comfort Prog" we don't need more of. They have Brislin on board who I think is a great songwriter and hopefully they took advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Daniel Gildenlow is the only one I'm less familiar with. Saw him on one of the tours, but he was pretty much in the background. The rest of the band I know are monsters of talent. I also like the name.
    His band is Pain Of Salvation. He is a very talented musician, singer and songwriter.

3. That rhythm section could be epic.

4. The name is terrible (but let's be honest here: The Flower Kings is pretty awful too.)
    Yes on the rhythm section, and I think Sea Sea DeVille is a lot better.

Can't wait for this!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    All I can say about the name The Sea Within is that it's better than the name Stream of Passion. But not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    His band is Pain Of Salvation. He is a very talented musician, singer and songwriter.
    Yeah knew that much. I actually own one POS disc, but have never played it thru, kind of a different style than what I listen to, although I remember they were good at what they did.

I like a lot Tom Brislin performance with YES live but say from there to consider it as a Yes member...hmm

Wow this sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Wow this sounds awesome!
    You've heard them?

individually not collectively

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I like a lot Tom Brislin performance with YES live but say from there to consider it as a Yes member...hmm
    http://yesworld.com/we-are-yes/

If you've heard Tom Brislin's solo album then you understand what a progressive pop talent he is, too. Excellent songwriting, outstanding vocals, and of course. great keys - - -
    I for one would love to see him provide a fair amount of the vocals for this project. I'd consider him to be the best vocalist in the bunch! At any rate, I'll seriously be anticipating the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    If you've heard Tom Brislin's solo album then you understand what a progressive pop talent he is, too. Excellent songwriting, outstanding vocals, and of course. great keys - - -
    I for one would love to see him provide a fair amount of the vocals for this project. I'd consider him to be the best vocalist in the bunch! At any rate, I'll seriously be anticipating the finished product!
    With you on this one. Hurry Up And Smell The Roses is a very good album.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    Hmm... Not too sure about this. Im gonna wait until there are a couple of live dvds, some kickstarters and boxsets from the first gig.
    ()
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't really get what's wrong with the band name. Most band names would seem silly if the bands hadn't established themselves and made the name something people remember with reverence or whatever.

As much as I like Roine's vocals, Daniel is a far better singer (Brislin as well), so I'm actually looking forward to Roine being "just the guitar player". That's his true strong point anyway, IMO.

The rhythm section will be great, as they've already played together on record...Tangent album, Le Sacre du Travail.....though I don't think they were ever in the studio together for that album, so that should make it even better.

I also hope that there is real collaboration and I would actually be a bit disappointed if it ends up being "prog by numbers".

Regardless, I'll be getting the album.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Wow - very exciting news. Roine has been occasionally dropping hints about a new "All-Star" project but wasn't revealing anything. A month or so ago he posted a studio picture but it didn't show anyone else and he commented that he was enjoying recording with "old friends and new". Now we know.

Thoughts:

- I like the name (But I like Flower Kings as well)

- Very happy to see Stolt / Gildenlow working together again. Adam & Eve was something of a missed opportunity in my mind, although Daniel sang quite a bit he didn't contribute to the writing or any guitar. I had hoped he would add more on the next album but it wasn't to be. This promises to be a more collaborative effort - I think they have been working on the writing for most of the year.

- Stolt always works with Jonas so no surprise, I'm less familiar with Minnemann but impressive resume for sure. Brislin of course is incredible - but yes it makes one worry that Bodin's health/hearing issue may be serious. You would think Roine would call on Lalle instead but maybe wanted to change it up a little. What a group of musicians

- This could mean Anderson / Stolt 2 is delayed. Perhaps Jon's commitments with Yes are taking too much time or is instead focusing on new Yes album with Rabin. Unknown but it seems like A/S 2 is probably pushed back a year. Re-release of remixed IoK we were promised in 2017 still hasn't taken place either so maybe that will be 2018 and new album in 2019.

Stolt is one to never rest on his laurels for sure. The guy loves to create music and play live. I'm really looking forward to this!

I don't think Anderson/Stolt is being put on hold for this. Roine talked about both projects on FB and TFK yahoo group (without revealing who was in the "supergroup"), and he said Anderson/Stolt will be out in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I don't really get what's wrong with the band name. Most band names would seem silly if the bands hadn't established themselves and made the name something people remember with reverence or whatever.

As much as I like Roine's vocals, Daniel is a far better singer (Brislin as well), so I'm actually looking forward to Roine being "just the guitar player". That's his true strong point anyway, IMO.

The rhythm section will be great, as they've already played together on record...Tangent album, Le Sacre du Travail.....though I don't think they were ever in the studio together for that album, so that should make it even better.

I also hope that there is real collaboration and I would actually be a bit disappointed if it ends up being "prog by numbers".

Regardless, I'll be getting the album.
    Wasn't that Gavin Harrison?
    The Prog Corner

Wasn't that Gavin Harrison?
    It was.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is where I'm at. Looks like an impressive lineup, though I'm not the biggest Gildenlow fan.
    I think DG is extremely talented but tends to lose focus when he's fully in charge which is the case in Pain of Salvation. I think he's much better when he's at least partially reined in by other strong musical personalities which was the case in The Flower Kings or the live lineup of Transatlantic. It will be intetesting to see how he interacts with the other members in this band.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I never felt DG added much at all to TFK either live or in the studio.
    I agree 100%, that was the time when i parted ways with TFK and Pain Of Salvation too.
    I did enjoy the Anderson/Stolt release so i'll be real curious to see what this new uber-group brings (hoping there aren't too many cooks).

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I think DG is extremely talented but tends to lose focus when he's fully in charge which is the case in Pain of Salvation. I think he's much better when he's at least partially reined in by other strong musical personalities which was the case in The Flower Kings or the live lineup of Transatlantic. It will be intetesting to see how he interacts with the other members in this band.
    Yeah, I agree, Gildenlow is so goddamned talented on his own, it'll be interesting to see where they all fit together. Though they've managed to put an album tighter, I'm assuming they did ok?! I'm not a fan of them nor do I know that dude from Yes, but if he writes like the rest of the band, this should be an interesting melting pot of uber-crazy talent! It's an auto buy over here!

Jonas Reingold is supposed to be playing bass with Steve Hackett in February in Collingswood NJ.
    I figured Roine got him that job as he had also played base with Hackett a few years back.
    I saw Jonas with the TanaKanic at the Progstock Festival and he is an excellent bassist!