Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Elf King needs suggestions - new prog?

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Djam Karet, absolutely!

... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Judging by the bands you mentioned it sounds like you are in the same boat I was in ten years ago when I "rediscovered" my love of Prog.

These are the bands that jump-started the process:

The Flower Kings (and all things Roine Stolt - The Tangent, Karmakanic, Agents Of Mercy, Anderson/Stolt)
    Anglagard
    Spock's Beard (and all things Neal Morse - Transatlantic, Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors)
    Wobbler
    Magenta
    Big Big Train
    Discipline
    Echolyn
    Anekdoten
    Moon Safari

All the above should appeal to someone longing for that 70's magic!!!
    All excellent recs that should apply here, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

One point about Echolyn:

Although many consider them one of the best prog bands of the last twenty-or-so years, they don't quite have "that classic Seventies sound". Quite a few more recent influences also have worked upon their music, although often subtly. Adult-pop singer-songwriters like Sting and Richard Thompson in the songcrafting and lyrics, Steely Dan in the jazz-oriented harmonic palette, grunge in the rough vocal quality and guitar tones, New Wave and punk in the taut and sometimes accelerated pacing, occasional bits of Americana folk and country filtered through an Aaron Copland approach - the list goes on. Which doesn't mean that their best music is anything but excellent. However, if you're really looking for something that sounds exactly like the music you listened to in the old days rather than an updated version of it, you might not quite find that in Echolyn.

I could never get into Echolyn. And I never understood why, as so many people described them in a way that made it sound like I should love them. But, they just never clicked.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Great suggestions! Thanks!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I could never get into Echolyn. And I never understood why, as so many people described them in a way that made it sound like I should love them. But, they just never clicked.
    IMO it helps to see Echolyn live. The show they did in that little one-room schoolhouse in NJ was great!

The Canadian band Preoccupations is interesting and very successful (for all who think proggy music doesn't sell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P6qqceGQlM

they used to be called Viet Cong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3cip94Owfg
    Last edited by arcticranger; 04-16-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: name change of band