Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai-Psychedelia

Thai-Psychedelia

man...I really dig this
    sort of Krautish right ?
    What a trip ...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ A very interesting and varied crowd there, digging the psychedelia!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Very good. I like it!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

That's some pretty cool shit. The dude in the second clip trying to get those hot, middle-aged Thai groupie chicks to share his whiskey is a hoot!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Very nice.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

man seeing those Thai ladies cavorting to Krautish distortion laden guitars - does it get any more psychedelic ??

Is it spicey?

I loved all of these?

My wife is Thai and was just there a few months ago. I showed her the videos and she said this music is from Eastern Thailand (my wife is from the North), but I asked her if she could help me find some CD's in this style and she gave my (5) CD's she had brought back, she said they are not exactly like this style, but they are instrumentals, so perhaps they are more like the third video above.

I'll report back at the end of the upcoming week..

cheers

This is so strange/weird (in a good way )
    I mean the sounds seem like nothing that I know that comes from the far east - this sounds more middle east/western/krautpsychadelic
    and it all looks like authentic organic and convincing unlike a lot of stuff that comes from Japan
    so the combination of these sounds that seem to fit some weird psychedelic freakout and the settings Thailand is really great and weird

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Nice!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

John Boegehold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I loved all of these?

My wife is Thai and was just there a few months ago. I showed her the videos and she said this music is from Eastern Thailand (my wife is from the North), but I asked her if she could help me find some CD's in this style and she gave my (5) CD's she had brought back, she said they are not exactly like this style, but they are instrumentals, so perhaps they are more like the third video above.

I'll report back at the end of the upcoming week..

cheers
    You sure she didn't say North East (Isaan?) The style is Morlam (หมอลำ) which is popular all over Thailand but mostly in the North East and Laos. Anyway, great stuff! I've seen a lot of these types of groups. Just type "morlam instrumental" into YouTube and you'll find a lot more of this kind of music.

BTW, Here's a video by Bodyslam, a really popular Thai rock group that uses Morlam musicians and singers on this track.

Notice how tight they are despite the casual "busking" setting

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Notice how tight they are despite the casual "busking" setting
    It's not like there are a lot of changes in the music. The marimba ensemble playing Happy The Man was "tight." These guys are just jamming.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-04-2017 at 07:53 AM.

The drums bass and guitar seem to be "locked" in a most pleasing way this type of freak jams are usually sloppy

my girlfriend is thai-american so I have grabbed some of this stuff to play to her and her parents who were born in Thailand. really enjoy khun narin, and the thai funk compilations are quite enjoyable. there is a rip off of another brick in the wall that is pretty fun.

her parents of from bangokok they don't like the molam stuff cause to them it is like country music. they like the luk thung style on the thai funk albums.

There is plenty to explore on Youtube, check this guy out, a shorter song, at only 7 minutes, but no less as spectacular!

https://youtu.be/GwRl2cBN2nc

Christopher Walken approved

and... is it a requirement to have the mechanical figurines in front?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

more cowbell!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks for posting OP. Some of it reminds me of Khruangbin, from Houston TX.