Thread: Billy Cobham - Crosswinds Show

Billy Cobham - Crosswinds Show

Wednesday April 5 @ Colonial Theater Phoenixville. Tickets on Sale Now!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I saw him on the Spectrum 40 tour. It was excellent! I'm gonna try and catch this tour if I can
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Wednesday April 5 @ Colonial Theater Phoenixville. Tickets on Sale Now!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Where did you find his schedule.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I found this on his agent's page:

Billy Cobham's Crosswinds Project featuring:
    Billy Cobham - drums
    Ernie Watts - sax
    Martin Scales - guitar
    Tim Landers - bass
    Scott Tibbs – keys

The Crosswinds Project will be focusing on the album (WEA 1974) in reflection of the originals through updated arrangements by Billy Cobham. There will be two or three new compositions plus favorites like "Red Baron", "Taurian Matador", "Quadrant Four" and "Stratus" to round out the show.

April 3rd at BB Kings in NYC is also scheduled along with a residency at the Blue Note in NYC in October 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    IThere will be two or three new compositions plus favorites like "Red Baron", "Taurian Matador", "Quadrant Four" and "Stratus" to round out the show.

That;s weird, cause he skipped a couple of those on what was supposed to be the Spectrum tour.

Just got tix to catch this at Yoshi's in Oakland. He's playing the 13th and the 14th of March.

Link
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

A friend told me that BC is playing a few midwest gigs (Chicago & Milw for sure) w/Chicago guitarist Fareed Haque.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Already got my tix for The Tralf in Buffalo. Just an awesome venue to see a show!

Billy Cobham - drums
    Ernie Watts - sax
    Martin Scales - guitar
    Tim Landers - bass
    Scott Tibbs – keys

The Crosswinds Project will be focusing on the album (WEA 1974) in reflection of the originals through updated arrangements by Billy Cobham. There will be two or three new compositions plus favorites like "Red Baron", "Taurian Matador", "Quadrant Four" and "Stratus" to round out the show.

April 3rd at BB Kings in NYC is also scheduled along with a residency at the Blue Note in NYC in October 2018.
    Wow, great news on all fronts. Love Crosswinds...and nice to see the Spectrum stuff too as I missed that tour.

Billy Cobham - drums
    Ernie Watts - sax
    Martin Scales - guitar
    Tim Landers - bass
    Scott Tibbs – keys

This is the lineup listed on the Yoshi's page. I know Paul Hanson is playing with him. Billy Cobham - Drums
    Paul Hanson – Bassoon, Saxophone
    Fareed Haque - Guitar
    Tim Landers - Bass
    Scott Tibbs - Keys

I'm going tonight in Seattle. I loved the Spectrum show from a couple of years ago. Should be fun!

Saw the Buffalo show on Friday night and thought it was just wonderful!
    The band was awesome, however, the guitarist was just incredible. It wasn't any of the names mentioned above... it was a funny name , the last part of which was "hock" or maybe "haq" ? The guys was magic. The whole show was great and Billy was in very nice form. I have to say, I came away really impressed with his quiet drumming parts. The masters touch, at time creating drone like sounds with quiet tight rolls. Played mostly from Crosswinds and Spectrum. anyway, highly recommended for fans of those albums!

ohhh there it is...fareed Haque... just a brilliant player! (rapid fire post above...just saw)

Can't believe I haven't heard of Fareed Haque before, I saw the band in Albany last night and thought he was excellent, reminded me of both DiMeola and Holdsworth at times. Reading his bio he's been around a while, did tours with both Sting and Joe Zawinul. I'll be keeping an eye out for him henceforth.

All the band were great. Not a long show, about 90 minutes, but very tasty, here's the setlist.
    image.jpg

Nice, looks like the same setlist.
    Yeah man, that acoustic stuff Haque did was captivating. The keyboardist was cool too and did some great vintage 70s synth sounds.
    They were all good, so glad I went.

Ernie Watts has some pedigree himself. He plays sax on My Cherie Amour, What’s Going On, Waiting On A Friend, countless other artists.

If you dig Fareed Haque, you might want to check out Fareed Haque + The Flat Earth Ensemble - Flat Planet.

Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Ernie Watts has some pedigree himself. He plays sax on My Cherie Amour, What’s Going On, Waiting On A Friend, countless other artists.
    That's Sonny Rollins on "Waiting on a Friend" (the studio version, anyway; Watts did play it live with the Stones), and I think you mean "Let's Get It On," not "What's Going On."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I have a Fareed Haque album from like the late 80s. I remember thinking of it along the lines of Bill Frisell but it could be they were on the same label(?)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Fareed's also a founding member of Garaj Mahal. They have a few albums. Good stuff.

Garaj Mahal is the rippingest stuff I know of from Fareed, any hot tips on where else to look would be appreciated.

Excellent show last week at Yoshi's. I sat in front of local Bay Area resident Paul Hanson. Everyone was terrific. I hadn't seen Haque since my one Garage
    Mahal show. Just great. I met Tim Landers at NAMM last year. The nicest guy. He made sure to compliment the soloists after laying one down. At Yoshi's, it's
    only one hour and 15 minutes. There were two shows the night I went. I hit the late show. Every minute was terrific. Next month is The Dixie Dregs in Sacramento and Wishbone Ash at Yoshi's April 25. Ha Cha!