Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nick Mason announced as new Genesis drummer for reunion with Gabriel

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ The way I heard it, all the Genesis members and MacPhail were having a jolly old time, when they noticed a disheveled but slightly familiar looking guy had entered the shop. They thought he had to be one of the people who worked for the shop or was setting up for the event, but finally they realized it was the once happy and healthy drummer from Pink Floyd. Gabriel broke into tears, and the seeds were sown for his next concept album, to be released in 20 years time.

I half remember Mike Rutherford and Nick Mason playing on the same bill (if not together) at a private charity event many years ago.
    Could be wrong though!

** Just checked - it was at Highclere Castle, Newbury on 20 May 2006
    Last edited by r2daft2; 12-02-2017 at 12:01 PM.

GREAT photo. Love to see these guys all smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Two questions

why is NM even there at a MacPhail book signing ? What relevance does he have in this context ?

Why is MacPhail so important that he brought the guys back together for a photo op at a small bookstore ? He must be important to the band even after all these years (they dedicated Genesis Live to him, noting that he left in the liner notes. That was 44 years ago!
    My understanding was that Richard was a Charterhouse schoolmate of Rutherford, Banks, Gabriel, and Phillips. I think he might have even been in one of the bands that one or more of them were in, such as the Anon. Anyhow, as I recall, as Genesis came into being a "professional band", Richard was their first roadie or what have ya, and such was part of the band's inner circle right from the very beginning.

The interesting thing is, that dedication on Genesis Live (whihc isn't on all pressings, it's not on the one I have), made it sound like he had passed away, which obviously he hadn't. I believe I read on one website or another that he had gotten married, and as such, left the band's organization to "settle down". And I guess they felt that was big enough deal to commemorate in that fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I half remember Mike Rutherford and Nick Mason playing on the same bill (if not together) at a private charity event many years ago.
    Could be wrong though!

** Just checked - it was at Highclere Castle, Newbury on 20 May 2006
    That sounds similar to an event at Cowdrey Castle, in 1993, with Queen (which for this occasion, consisted of Roger Taylor, John Deacon, Tim Renwick and Gary Wallis), Genesis, and Pink Floyd (with Rutherford playing bass).

LOL and who are the other 2 drummers?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Mason can't hang with Phil
    You are correct, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Don't understand what that means. Phil is a "fool" because he physically cannot drum anymore due to several medical issues?

If I misunderstood and you were referring to yourself, my bad and never mind my post.

What I meant was I was fooled by the title of this post (and certainly not referring to Phil Collins-or anyone for that matter-as a fool).

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    What I meant was I was fooled by the title of this post (and certainly not referring to Phil Collins-or anyone for that matter-as a fool).
    hence, my second sentence.

BTW, MacPhail's book is now available to us in the US. I ordered the Kindle version for $10 and I can already say it's more interesting than Rutherford's book. Tons of details, at least in the early chapters where I currently left off.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'd be interested to know if the book covers the post Gabriel period at all, specifically through the time that Hackett left.

There's loads of detail from Gabriel's early LPs and tours, with which MacPhail assisted. I'm up to 1978 or so in the book, and we haven't heard from the Genesis since the European tour of 1976.

it's always april1st somewhere …

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    BTW, MacPhail's book is now available to us in the US. I ordered the Kindle version for $10 and I can already say it's more interesting than Rutherford's book. Tons of details, at least in the early chapters where I currently left off.
    Signed hard copies available for pre-order at Burning Shed.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Signed hard copies available for pre-order at Burning Shed.
    I just ordered with confirmed payment. I went back to read more information on the book and is says out of stock. It says the book is a paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I just ordered with confirmed payment. I went back to read more information on the book and is says out of stock. It says the book is a paperback.
    It's probably a Trade Paperback. By "hard copies" I meant solid, physical books as opposed to kindle/digital download. I just purchased mine this morning.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's probably a Trade Paperback. By "hard copies" I meant solid, physical books as opposed to kindle/digital download. I just purchased mine this morning.
    I see. Glad you posted and the fact I got the last copy!

So in the new book, Hackett says Peter Gabriel was a big fan of Voyage of the Acolyte.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Good photo. Mason couldn't have played Phil's drum parts even when he was young and in shape (well, I suppose with a lot of practice and time, he might have been able to come close......but I don't get the impression he was really that into drumming after Floyd hit the big time).
    Agreed. Different styles, different drumming vision. In my own charts PC is a main contributor to music, whereas Mason is a decorator and techniquewise there's no comparison....PC was able to play any music, ornate or undemanding, Nick has never done it and we know why...but in the Pink Floyd context he was amazing!

Peter Hammill gets a mention too - this is from his website "My old friend Richard MacPhail has recently published a book of his reminiscences. Some of you may know that he tour managed me on a couple of epic jaunts back in the day but he's most generally known for his association and friendship with Genesis. "

Pink Floyd and Genesis now have a manager in common- Tony Smith. Mason also attended one of their 2007 reunion shows- Twickenham or Wembley.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Pink Floyd and Genesis now have a manager in common- Tony Smith. Mason also attended one of their 2007 reunion shows- Twickenham or Wembley.
    Just to be super clear, Tony Smith only manages Nick Mason, not the Floyd as a whole.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

I ran into Peter Gabriel looking for his seat in 1994 at the Giants Stadium stop of Pink Floyd's "The Division Bell" tour. He must've been picking up pointers because after that his following tours really kicked it up a notch as far as the visuals, lighting and overall production go. Gabriel was touring one of his WOMAD festivals at the time; out of everything I could have possibly said I mentioned how cool it was that he had Billy Cobham on drums in his band as I'd just seen him a few days earlier at Jones Beach.

(Little did I know ole Pete was really there to try and seduce Nick Mason to join him for a reunion....)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Just received the book today in the USA.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"