Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CTI Records

Not on CTI, but I've transitioned into listening to some Quincy Jones albums this morning. Q's orchestrations were very similar to Don Sebesky's -- even down to occasionally(often?) including deal-killing vocals. But his "Gula Matari" (1970) and "Walking In Space" (1969) are wonderful examples of arranging for a large ensemble (with apparently unlimited budget). He took the lessons learned throughout the '40s and '50s by big band arrangers like Duke Ellington and Gil Evans, and applied them to a more 1970s sound of electric guitar & bass. Brass choruses, exotic instruments (marimbas, harps and bassoons) and a core of piano/bass/drums make these tracks very pleasurable to listen to.

Some great ones mentioned. Benson's "Body Talk" has been a fave of mine for a long time.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

the ones I own:

Jobim-Wave, Stone Flower, Tide
    Airto-Virgin Land, Free, Fingers
    Ron Carter-Blues Farm, Yellow and Green, All Blues
    Grover Washington-A Secret Place, Feels so Good, Inner City Blues
    Stanley Turrentine-Salt Song, Sugar
    Walter Wanderley-When it was done
    Fuse One-Silk
    Deodato-Prelude, Deodato II
    Freddie Hubbard-Straight Life, Red Clay, First Light, Polar AC, Sky Dive
    Bill Evans-Montreux II
    Benson-body Talk, White Rabbit, Beyond the Blue Horizon, Benson and Farrell, Good King Bad, Bad Benson, The Other Side of Abbey Road, Shape of Things to Come
    Joe Farrell-Outback, Moon Germs, Canned Funk
    Milt Jackson-Sunflower
    Jim Hall-Concierto
    Holdsworth-Velvet Darkness
    Nascimento-Courage

so.....yeah, a few........LOL

EDIT: oh, some of those are Kudu, too....can't forget Grover's Mister Magic.
    Last edited by wideopenears; 11-30-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Fuse One-Silk
    What's this like?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What's this like?
    Wynton plays some fusion-ish fairly smooth stuff!

LOL, actually I recall enjoying this quite a bit, but haven't listened to it in a while...I own it on vinyl. I have the first one too, which I rate as better. It is CTI stuff, you know.....it's got less "smooth and syrupy" traits, though, overall, and is more of a soul-jazz sort of thing. Both albums. I think there may have been a third, as well....

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Benson-body Talk, White Rabbit, Beyond the Blue Horizon, Benson and Farrell, Good King Bad, Bad Benson, The Other Side of Abbey Road, Shape of Things to Come
    Joe Farrell-Outback, Moon Germs, Canned Funk
    Milt Jackson-Sunflower
    Jim Hall-Concierto
    Holdsworth-Velvet Darkness
    all good to great albums!

Milt Jackson's Olinga is also worthy
    also I forgot to quote Hubbard's Red Clay as one of the good ones
    not familiar with any of the others beside the Deodato which is a bit too slick for me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Joe Farrell...Quartet , Outback & Moongerms
    Jim Hall - Concierto (that's his album, rc, not Desmond's )
    CTI All stars - California Concert
    Milt Jackson - Sunflower
    Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond
    Randy Weston - Blue Moses
    Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay & First Light
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I seem to recall Allan Holdsworth characterizing Creed Taylor as a total crook over Velvet Darkness; an album AH totally disowned. IIRC, AH was under the impression that the session from which the record was taken was little more than a routining rehearsal that allow the musicians to get the tunes under their fingers, and that proper recording session would proceed from there. Indeed, that thinking probably explains where there's actually so little guitar on it. He was horrified when it was released as the finished product, and I believe he also never saw any money from it. I have no idea if this typifies Creed Taylor's business practices, or if what happened was the result of a genuine misunderstanding, but it takes something pretty extraordinary to have an artist beg his audience not buy one of his records.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I seem to recall Allan Holdsworth characterizing Creed Taylor as a total crook over Velvet Darkness; an album AH totally disowned. IIRC, AH was under the impression that the session from which the record was taken was little more than a routining rehearsal that allow the musicians to get the tunes under their fingers, and that proper recording session would proceed from there. Indeed, that thinking probably explains where there's actually so little guitar on it. He was horrified when it was released as the finished product, and I believe he also never saw any money from it. I have no idea if this typifies Creed Taylor's business practices, or if what happened was the result of a genuine misunderstanding, but it takes something pretty extraordinary to have an artist beg his audience not buy one of his records.
    That's NOT the only Holdsworth record where he claimed "he wasn't ready yet." Seemed to be a habit with him, when he felt the playing was substandard.

That's NOT the only Holdsworth record where he claimed "he wasn't ready yet." Seemed to be a habit with him, when he felt the playing was substandard.
    It was rather more than the playing being substandard in this case...

I used to read Holdsy's interviews a lot and he was never happy with any album he made. He was a perfectionist and a genius and had the mental issues that go with those qualities. Still love him!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Well most of us are +/- fairly unanimous, depending on how much we've heard of the CTi roster and catalogue...

BUT:

So far, I believe I'm the only one that mentioned Bob James (an I the only one to know of him >> he'd go on producing albums later), but at least his first two albums are total classics

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bob James played Rhodes on most of the CTI productions. His first 4 solos were indeed a lot more adventurous (as evidenced above) than the smooth jazz he later became known for.

Last summer I posted a thread about the (rare) albums he did playing straight-ahead jazz on normal acoustic piano. Not very well-known but excellent stuff.

^I gather some of Bob James' early solo recordings are some of the most heavily-sampled of all time. 'Westchester Lady', 'Nautilus', 'Take Me To The Mardi Gras'. I think he did some of the arrangements for Karen Carpenter's ill-fated solo album, he certainly plays on it.

Don't have much CTI but like what I have such as Red Clay, Prelude etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I used to read Holdsy's interviews a lot and he was never happy with any album he made. He was a perfectionist and a genius and had the mental issues that go with those qualities. Still love him!
    From what I've read, he was especially unhappy with Velvet Darkness. One story is that when a fan asked him to sign the record, he tried to buy it back from him.

My guess is that he couldn't handle the standard approach of CTI (and most other jazz labels of the time) of having the artist spend at most one or two days in the studio and making that the record.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    My guess is that he couldn't handle the standard approach of CTI (and most other jazz labels of the time) of having the artist spend at most one or two days in the studio and making that the record.
    I would concur. Creed Taylor was used to dealing with "jazz players", where Holdsworth was a different beast, a living paradox - a musician defining himself as an improviser first, and a "jazz musician" by and large, but one who would spend insane amounts of time getting his solos perfectly right. I was witness to some of this during the sessions for the SoftWorks album, when he asked for his guitar tracks to be muted during playback (!), and ended up re-recording almost all his parts (certainly all his solos) at his studio back in California.

I would guess Taylor was taken aback when Holdsworth said something like, "OK, now I'll have to spend 4 days re-doing my solos" (or worse, and closer to AH's own version of the event, "we'll come back next week and do this all over again if you give us a full week in the studio"), whereas Taylor expected the album to be "in the can" with a couple of takes of each piece at most.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Ah, yes, Creed Taylor, once the most despised man in jazz.

I have a few:

George Benson - Beyond the Blue Horizon
    Joe Farrell - Quartet
    Joe Farrell - Outback
    Jim Hall - Concierto
    Idris Muhammad - Power of Soul
    Jobim - Wave
    Randy Weston - Blue Moses
    Art Farmer/Jim Hall - Big Blues
    Yusef Lateef - Autophysiopsychic
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Was that true of CTI? I know Blue Note and ECM were famous for having the musicians play live, in the studio, and what they recorded (with maybe one run-through first) was what went on the record.

With CTI that might've been harder. There was Don Sebesky's orchestrations on most of them -- or was that added later?

With CTI that might've been harder. There was Don Sebesky's orchestrations on most of them -- or was that added later?
    I think on the more elaborate ones the rhythm tracks were recorded one day, the orchestra another day and the soloist on another day. I remember a George Benson quote saying he didn't like recording those albums because he would have an orchestra playing in his headphones while he was sitting in the studio alone.

Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay was recorded in three days according to the credits on my CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well most of us are +/- fairly unanimous, depending on how much we've heard of the CTi roster and catalogue...

BUT:

So far, I believe I'm the only one that mentioned Bob James (an I the only one to know of him >> he'd go on producing albums later), but at least his first two albums are total classics

wait... WHAT? ... I just listened to that Youtube and most of that album is real good!

I knew of all that syrupy Pop crap by Bob James and Earl Klugh (Feel Like Making Love on this one reminds me of that later garbage) but I never knew the guy did anything serious. What an oversight on my part. Gonna get his first 2 albums that you recommend. Thanks!
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 12-01-2017 at 06:44 PM.

don't know if they were recorded live or added afterwards, but they often added a major amount of cheese to the label's music.
    I mean, some of those were almost embarrassing.

wait... WHAT? ... I just listened to that Youtube and most of that album is real good!
    What an oversight on my part. Gonna get his first 2 albums that you recommend. Thanks!
    my pleasure
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    don't know if they were recorded live or added afterwards
    The blasphemous thought occurred to me that perhaps the orchestrations were overlaid to "cover up" clams (missed notes) made by some of the ill-prepared session players. But I somehow doubt this, given the caliber of most of the players.

Gonna get his first 2 albums that you recommend. Thanks!
    The first 4 were released in a bargain-priced boxed set.

Also, for more recent (and EXCELLENT) serious stuff don't overlook these:

The blasphemous thought occurred to me that perhaps the orchestrations were overlaid to "cover up" clams (missed notes) made by some of the ill-prepared session players. But I somehow doubt this, given the caliber of most of the players.
    I think it was just a way to make it more appealing to a pop audience.

Try Bob James' album "Explosions" on ESP Disk. It's Bob James like you've never heard him before. Quite tasty.