Thread: Studio headphones

Studio headphones

Hey.
    So with these AKG K271 studio headphones that I use to mix, they do not seem to sound very good. Since I do not have a great record, I'll make more mixes with headphones and remember that Matt talked about hearing the headset. Well, I have not been able to know these K271 and, honestly, I think they're lying to their ears. I would like to recommend the headphones I could use because I'm not yet
    Good to mix, but every day better. Only something is missing. Can I start with headphones?

For headphone mixing what you need, more than anything else, is lack of coloration -- long flat response with minimum distortion. I'm not familiar specifically with the AKG K271 headphone, but AKG headphones in general are not known for their neutrality.

You didn't ask for alternative suggestions but I'll make one anyway. Koss KTXPro1 are inexpensive (~$30) and lightweight (comfortable for long periods) and sturdy. They don't have the lowest bass out there, nor the highest highs, but what's there is absolutely honest and flat. I've mixed with them for years, and comparing those mixes on speakers yields absolutely no surprises.

I've had the K240's for years. They seem to be pretty much the "industry standard" in studio headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-.../dp/B0001ARCFA

Monitor speakers are necessary to get the stereo perspective right, but you can do much work with phones. Some of the more popular because of the properties that rcarlberg mentions are Sennheiser HD650 (open) and Focal Spirit Pro (closed). Not very cheap but then, they shouldn't be The AKG K240s are very common in studios, yes, but mainly for tracking sessions and are less ideal for mixing. But you can do a decent job with them for sure, as a complement to monitor listening.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

So... I'm sure a headphone thread would be interesting, but you guys all replied to a spam post .

Huh. I thought it was just a non-native English speaker.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Huh. I thought it was just a non-native English speaker.
    Me, too. I guess I tend to ignore sigs.

And since the link takes you to a "best headphones" list that includes BOTH(!!) Bose and Beats, you know it's BS.

He tricked everyone with that reference to Matt, since Matt's always going on about great headphone deals around here.

Matt: the guy with no arms or legs waiting by your front door.

Bob: the guy with no arms or legs in your swimming pool.

Art: the guy with no arms or legs leaning against your wall.