Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK Prog Cruise-Tales on Topographic Oceans

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Assuming the cruise is on, I really hope those of you going take photos and will post a review here - very interested to hear about it as it will no doubt be very different from CTTE, but possibly in good ways.
    Agree, I would also be interested in reviews of the event.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I guess people have their hands full getting to Hull because of the snow in England. Any updates? Saw a few comments on FB.

Sounds like there are some cancelled flights/ trains and closed roads (especially for those traveling from Scotland) but the cruise is on.

Sounds like there are some cancelled flights/ trains and closed roads (especially for those traveling from Scotland) but the cruise is on.
    The Organizers are planning to make lemonade out of lemons by reenacting Scott's journey to the South Pole.

They seem to be at sea, being serenaded by Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash!

They seem to be at sea, being serenaded by Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash!
    They all must be feeling Raw to the Bone.* Luckily the worst of the storm turned west and into Ireland, although it's snowing off Hull tonight. I guess they're in Rotterdam by now anyway, earl-aye in the morning, the drunken sailors.

* I am hilarious

There's got to be a morning after...

I have to admit, I am kind of amused at the fact that a guy sitting at home in the NY Hudson River Valley is giving us live updates of a British prog cruise he's not on that is somewhere in the North Atlantic. My funny bone is tickled.

It's the North Sea, not the North Atlantic. This is why these updates are absolutely vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    It's the North Sea, not the North Atlantic. This is why these updates are absolutely vital.
    North Sea, North Atlantic, it's all very cold water "over there". And the North Sea is technically considered part of the North Atlantic.

"The North Sea is an arm of the Atlantic Ocean receiving the majority of ocean current from the northwest opening"
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-02-2018 at 09:44 PM.

I’m hunkered over my shortwave set with headphones and a Neal Morse-Code key, trying to get info. This just in: Pendragon has busted out The Black Knight from The Jewel! Meanwhile, wave heights are surging...

I actually did post on their FB page trying to get some updates. They’ve posted some photos of Wishbone Ash and Caravan, that’s about it. Trying to get info on the eggs...

Well I got this joke
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Managed to find this fun shot of Clive Nolan and Nick Barrett of Pendragon aboard the HMS Prog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing says cruise like snow and ice on the deck. Watch out for those icebergs. "Gopher, we need more ice melt and salt!"

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Well I got this joke
    If Stella Stevens is on the cruise, that changes everything....(the 60s/70s era Stella)
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-03-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Pendragon goin’ at it in Hamsterdam. All I can say is I’d have left the ship, sparked up, and then been back on the ship enjoying this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read that Comedy of Errors was supposed to be there but couldn’t make it due to the weather.

We're back home and warming up nicely - HMS Prog was never going to rival CTTE but it was a pretty good way of passing a winter's weekend for us Brits.

It was a shame that Comedy of Errors were caught in a snowdrift somewhere. All the other bands made it but there may well have been numbers of punters who failed to get to the ferry in time before it left port.

I'll start with the positives:

We watched all the shows on the main stage and I can safely say that all the bands were on top form:

Fri: Martin Turner (1st set - Argus) and Caravan (with John Etheridge (ex-Soft Machine) standing in for an unavailable Geoffrey Richardson - which produced an interesting and unique change to the band's usual instrumental presentation)

Sat: Cairo (2nd set), Martin Turner (2nd set - There's the Rub + extras) and PFM

The main stage was in the ship's main show lounge and provided a fine venue to accommodate us all - the sound and visibility was excellent.

The extra Saturday afternoon show was held at the Waterhole in Amsterdam: Cairo (1st set) and Pendragon (Acoustic).
    A larger venue would have been better to be honest - Cairo struggled for space on stage and, to my ears, their sound suffered too.

Unfortunately, Geoff Downes' late night sets in the other on-board lounge suffered due to an underpowered sound system.
    I haven't a clue if the Cinema was attended by anyone - I believe that the John Wetton film wasn't shown as originally planned.

Overall though I think it was a worthwhile attempt at providing an interesting event for Prog fans and I suspect that the organisers will have lots of ideas about how things might work better if there is to be an HMS Prog 2.