Thread: Live versions of Echoes

Live versions of Echoes

I have the David Gilmour versions from Remember That Night and Live In Gdansk. I'm considering (on HDTracks) between the original Live In Pompeii version or the BBC 30 September 1971. Which of these two is best?
    Also, what are some other great live versions of this Pink Floyd classic?

They played it a lot back when it was recorded...plenty of shows to choose from..

If Led Zeppelin were the band most responsible for hard rock's vertical expansion in the '70s, hitting previously unforeseeable heights for the genre, Pink Floyd were the band that expanded it the most horizontally. well, The 50 Greatest Pink Floyd Songs: Critic's Picks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I have the David Gilmour versions from Remember That Night and Live In Gdansk. I'm considering (on HDTracks) between the original Live In Pompeii version or the BBC 30 September 1971. Which of these two is best?
    Also, what are some other great live versions of this Pink Floyd classic?
    Pompeii is unfortunately edited. The BBC 30 September 1971 I'm not sure I've heard... I would be interested to know which Echoes versions are of the best fidelity?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hollywood Bowl, LA, September 22, 1972:

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Pompeii is unfortunately edited. The BBC 30 September 1971 I'm not sure I've heard... I would be interested to know which Echoes versions are of the best fidelity?
    I managed to acquire many live versions over the years, but have always felt that the BBC version was the best, even better now that it is available in perfect quality on the box sets. This, along with Shine On, were the tracks I always wanted live versions of back in the 70's when you had to track down bootleg LPs.

Never that keen on what they did with Echoes from 1975 though - not as effective with the saxophone added in, to these ears anyway.

I realize Echoes was edited in the movie Live In Pompeii. The version on the Obfusc/ation box is one file at 24:56. I would guess that is the entire track unedited.

The only official PF versions I can think of are:
    BBC September 1971 - Early Years boxed set
    Pompeii - Early Years boxed set (and others), split in two on the original soundtrack, but now one whole track
    Empire Pool Wembley 1974 - Early Years boxed set

Early Years also has the hi-res version of the studio recording on 'Meddle', and it's a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    Pompeii - Early Years boxed set (and others), split in two on the original soundtrack, but now one whole track

Early Years also has the hi-res version of the studio recording on 'Meddle', and it's a beauty.
    Is that particular disc available in a smaller set?

"Early Years" box is split up so that one does not hafta buy the whole shebang... which specific ones have the 3 you list above?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Is that particular disc available in a smaller set?
    No.

I thought it was very bad that the cheap sampler didn't at least contain 'Vegetable Man' or a live version of 'Echoes'. The latter has, as noted, never been on a humble CD, just these boxes. I wouldn't have cared what else was on the sampler, they should absolutely have been there.

There's a terrific encore version from 1975 in the LA Sports Arena, recorded by Mike Millard, famous for his excellent quality audience recordings. That whole show is something special.

How is it edited? I thought they played the full piece? I know it's cut in two, with them playing the first half at the beginning of the film, then second half at the end, but I think that's he way it was played on that occasion, with them coming to a cold ending at the end of the funky section.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    No.

There's a terrific encore version from 1975 in the LA Sports Arena, recorded by Mike Millard, famous for his excellent quality audience recordings. That whole show is something special.
    Is that the one where Waters yells at the security guards for "hassling" the audience members at the front of the audience?

"Early Years" box is split up so that one does not hafta buy the whole shebang... which specific ones have the 3 you list above?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ea...5%E2%80%931972
    Anything else?

yes... which of the "early years" volumes are the 2 best?

You can find plenty of versions of Echoes on Sugarmegs.. one of my favorite shows from that era is this one.. http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/a...971-06-05.html Side note Big O just posted a Tokyo '72 show with Echoes included.. http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=3799

Meddle 5.1

It has been discovered that the Meddle 5.1 album has been included in the set.[citation needed] This album was reported to have been pulled from inclusion for undisclosed reasons. The Meddle 5.1 is not accessible from the DVD/BD menu nor by any known "easter egg" method. It should be presumed then that instead of removing the album from the discs that only their link in the DVD/BD menu was removed to stop access to it. It is, however, discoverable by inserting the disc into a compatible computer and searching through the disc's contents files.[citation needed]

The album is as follows:

Meddle 5.1 mix 2016 + Stereo 24 bits 96kHz – 46.49

"One of These Days"
    "A Pillow of Winds"
    "Fearless"
    "San Tropez"
    "Seamus"
    "Echoes"
    So have anyone here actually accessed these files? Actually been able to listen to them? If so, how did you do it?

So have anyone here actually accessed these files? Actually been able to listen to them? If so, how did you do it?
    I use a program called DVD Audio Extractor, which despite the name has been able to extract Blu-Ray audio in more recent versions. I have version 7.1.2, but that's a few years old now. My version cannot extract DTS-HD, but more recent versions can. I've rarely had a problem with lossless extraction of any DVD-V, DVD-A or Blu-Ray music, which it converts to FLAC files. I only extract the Stereo files, but it will extract surround audio files too. If the audio files are on the disc, this program will find them.

1987!

Mark Blake's "Comfortably Numb" quotes Guy Pratt: "Some of the younger players...couldn't get their heads around (Echoes) not being a set number of bars...you have to feel it and know instinctively when to come back in." Quoting Gilmour: "The trouble with modern musicians is that they don't know how to disintegrate." This was all in reference to "the wind section" of Echoes during the '87 tour.

And...