Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Cassidy Dead at 67

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yes they do. I recall General Hospital had a few different Heather Webber's that didn't resemble each other. There were also noticeable replacements in All My Children and One Life To Live.
    Dude, you're way too conversant on soap operas there! Since you brought up General Hospital, the two actors who played Edward Quatermaine (actually, there were four actors, but there were two main actors who each played Edward for over a decade). Even the way they played the role was different, though that might have been down to different producers/writers sort of reimaginging the character.

Bewitched - The 2 Dick's didn't resemble each other; neither did the Gladys Kravitz replacement
    You got me on that one, though Dick Sargent and Dick York at least had the same hair color and complexion.
    Happy Days - replacement Chuck looked nothing like the original one
    Say wha?! (checking Wiki) I never knew there were two Chucks. I just remember that became a joke among fans of the show, that Chuck Cunningham just sort of disappeared after the first season. Marion Ross even joked about it, that she was a "terrible mother, I mean, I lost my oldest son and didn't even notice!"

Roseanne - replacement daughter looked nothing like the original one
    Again, at least Sarah Chalke had the same hair colour and a similar complexion to Lecy Goranson (wait a minute, I think I just admitted to being way more conversant on that topic than I should have been). Also, I recall they played the cast switch for laughs. When Lecy came back to the show, after a year and a half, they played it up with a lot of "Where the hell have you been?!" lines from the other cast members. I also recall, that they then cast Sarah Chalke in another, minor role. (Shut up, Chris!)

Batman - Frank Gorshin and John Astin do not resemble each other
    I think the more obvious example on Batman would be Catwoman. I mean, they didn't just recast the role with an actress who looked nothing like the previous one, they cast an actress who wasn't even the same race!
    Baywatch - Replacement Hobie (Jeremy Jackson) looks nothing like Brandon Call. Replacement Neely doesn't resemble Gena Lee Nolin except that they both had blonde hair
    That's another example where I didn't realize there had been replacements. In the first place, anyone who noticed that Hobie was played by two different actors was paying attention to the wrong part of the show. As for Neely, that must have been after I stopped watching the show (which was somewhere around 98, or so, I recall that I didn't know they had killed off Alexandra Paul's character, really I thought that show jumped the shark after Nicole Eggert left).

Facts of Life - Blair's mom was portrayed by different actresses that didn't look alike
    How often was Blair's mom on the show (I didn't know any of their parents ever showed up)? They did that on a lot of shows, though, a character who'd appear maybe two or three times on the show, would be played by different actors. Something like one of Archie Bunker's bowling characters who appears once in the second season or whatever would be played by one actor, then when he shows up again a couple seasons later, a different actor.
    ...and on and on. So what if the replacement actors didn't resemble the previous actor?
    But at least get a replacement actor who sort of looks like the first one, same hair and eye color, complexion, play the role the same way (even though, if I remember correctly, in this case, two youngest kids on the Partridge Family didn't get much dialog in the first place). Or put a wig on the kid's head (or dye his hair).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I thought Susan Day was pretty, but anorexic skinny. Nothing special. Marcia was hotter. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.
    speaking of Marcia...

Yeah, I kinda liked Maureen McCormick too. Apparently, there was some real life bad vibes between her and Eve Plumb. I saw a program where they interviewing Wassername, Cindy, can't think of her name right now, and she said that whenever the cast members got together over the years, you'd have either Maureen or Eve, but not both, because of how badly they got along.

Speaking of Eve Plumb, I saw her on some talk show back int he early 90's, one of those "Where are they now" specials, and the host kept trying to get her to say "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" and she flat around refused to say the line. I think she thought she was there to promote what she was doing at the time (apparently she was on some children's show at the time and I think also directing TV), as opposed to reminiscence about a show that nearly 20 years in the past for her.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Speaking of Eve Plumb
    Watch her 1976 film, Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway. She portrayed a teen prostitute. Very good flick.

Bewitched - The 2 Dick's didn't resemble each other; neither did the Gladys Kravitz replacement
    Funny story: When red-haired Kasey Rogers replaced dark-haired Irene Vernon as Louise Tate, they made the transition easier by having Kasey wear a black wig. This was in the second season. By the time the eighth season rolled around, Kasey was so sick of the wig she bitched about it to the producer. He agreed to let her display her natural hair, which was even styled differently. So the SAME actress didn't even resemble HERSELF from the previous season!

Watch her 1976 film, Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway. She portrayed a teen prostitute. Very good flick.
    I'll also give her props for a funny cameo in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Funny story: When red-haired Kasey Rogers replaced dark-haired Irene Vernon as Louise Tate, they made the transition easier by having Kasey wear a black wig. This was in the second season. By the time the eighth season rolled around, Kasey was so sick of the wig she bitched about it to the producer. He agreed to let her display her natural hair, which was even styled differently. So the SAME actress didn't even resemble HERSELF from the previous season!
    When Louise Jamison first started playing Leela on Doctor Who, it was decided she should wear contact lenses to make her eyes (which I tihnk are naturally green) appear brown, I think to match the body makeup and clothing she normally wore in the role. So, at whichever point that her contract was about to expire, it was asked if she'd like to continue playing Leela for the duration of the next series. She said she'd only do it if they'd figure out a way to get rid of the contacts, because they were real uncomfortable for her.

So, in the last episode of the (at the time) present series, they wrote in this gag, where Leela's eyes change color due to witnessing this huge explosion at close proximity, or something like that.

I also recall that was the reason why Matt Frewer frequently wore shades when doing Max Headroom, because he didn't like the contact lenses either. Reportedly, sunglasses sales went up like 300 percent or whatever due to that association.

And since we've brought up David's half-brother, Shaun Cassidy, I'd like to note that he did a really good record in the early 80's, I believe, called Wasp. It was produced by Todd Rundgren, with Utopia serving as the backup band. I think this was Shaun's attempt to move past his "teen idol" image of the late 70's, and due a "serious rock music" record. As I recall, he did a really good version of The Who's So Sad About Us.

When first released I thought "Best of My Love" was Cassidy. At some point I learned it was, in fact, The Eagles; I liked it less, for some reason.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Another one gone. So sad to hear this. I remember watching the show and my sister had bought some of the 45’s which I used to play. Our youth is leaving us and there’s nothing we can do about it. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Another one gone. So sad to hear this. I remember watching the show and my sister had bought some of the 45’s which I used to play. Our youth is leaving us and there’s nothing we can do about it. [emoji22]
    Cassidey died of alcoholism and drug use that can be avoided, although admitedly it can be a major challenge to quit, especially if that is what you've known for many years.

Another aspect is that this is about to change due to what is coming in the next 5 and 10 years where aging is at least slowed and endurance will increase rather than decrease. Someone 65 in good shape will, with a little luck avoiding cancer, accidents, etc. will be astounded at how healthy they will feel at 80 and beyond.

All this talk and nobody mentioned the two Doris Ziffels from "Green Acres." What a bunch of losers!

BTW, that original Doris (Barbara Pepper), who died in 1969? This is what she looked like in her early career.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Jerry Seinfeld's two dads...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like