Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal Morse Solo

Neal Morse Solo

He's coming here in April billed as solo acoustic. After the success of the last album I thought he might take a run at a follow up. Any ideas on this tour?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    He's coming here in April billed as solo acoustic. After the success of the last album I thought he might take a run at a follow up. Any ideas on this tour?
    New singer-songwriter album (secular) coming out in February.

From the business side of things, this is a very smart and logical move. If the last Neal Morse Band album & tour was a success, then Neal can maximize his income by releasing a stripped-down solo album, tour without much personnel, sell current & past merch on tour, shake hands & kiss babies all the way to the bank. Spring-boarding off the previous album with minimum overhead – perfect!

He's playing here on a Saturday night in April. My wife really likes him, I think I'll grab a pair of tickets and toss them in her Christmas stocking, makes for a nice and different kind of gift. 30 bucks apiece, can't go wrong with that price these days!

It's a tiny but pretty venue way at the other end of Queen West. Should be quite intimate!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm on the fence with this one. I've never been to a solo acoustic show, and I'm worried I will be missing the drums and other instrumentation. Plus, and no offense intended, I wonder how much religious talk there will be, given this is his "Life and Times" tour. I know this is a secular album but still, it's a huge part of his life...and he does have a lot of worship albums to draw material from

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Plus, and no offense intended, I wonder how much religious talk there will be, given this is his "Life and Times" tour. I know this is a secular album but still, it's a huge part of his life...and he does have a lot of worship albums to draw material from
    I can tell you this. I have a rough cut of the album already because I'm doing the artwork for it. It's more secular than even his last few prog albums. This one sounds more like his early singer/songwriter work. Probably closest in style to "It's Not Too Late" which was his 2nd solo album (prior to Testimony). It's actually refreshing to hear him sing about something else for once!!! OMG.

Will he talk about the Lord on stage? I'm sure... but he could easily do a worship tour if that was his objective. Considering he's playing night clubs/bars, which he swore off long ago, he was genuinely excited to play Shank Hall again in Milwaukee that he hasn't played since Spock's V Tour. I think we could be in for a few Spock's as filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    From the business side of things, this is a very smart and logical move. If the last Neal Morse Band album & tour was a success, then Neal can maximize his income by releasing a stripped-down solo album, tour without much personnel, sell current & past merch on tour, shake hands & kiss babies all the way to the bank. Spring-boarding off the previous album with minimum overhead – perfect!
    Exactly right. This is a win-win for Neal.

Thanks for your input! Starting to get on board with this....

lifeandtimes680.jpg

I don't know why but I love this album cover...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    lifeandtimes680.jpg

I don't know why but I love this album cover...
    Good to know, thanks!

Here's a list of tour dates:

http://www.radiantrecords.com/produc...2018-tour.aspx

I'll try to catch the Charlotte, NC show on a Fri in March. My wife should enjoy this show, so maybe we can stay an extra night or two and hit some area breweries. The venue appears to be within walking distance of 5 or 6 breweries, maybe we can even get Neal to go out for a brew with us before or after the show.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that Sellersville show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I can tell you this. I have a rough cut of the album already because I'm doing the artwork for it. It's more secular than even his last few prog albums. This one sounds more like his early singer/songwriter work. Probably closest in style to "It's Not Too Late" which was his 2nd solo album (prior to Testimony). It's actually refreshing to hear him sing about something else for once!!! OMG.

Will he talk about the Lord on stage? I'm sure... but he could easily do a worship tour if that was his objective. Considering he's playing night clubs/bars, which he swore off long ago, he was genuinely excited to play Shank Hall again in Milwaukee that he hasn't played since Spock's V Tour. I think we could be in for a few Spock's as filler.
    Always liked the Shank. You can actually talk to old friends and make new ones and the best of all, the artists come out and you can speak with them without a lot of hassle. They do make an effort to bring prog to this city.
    The older I get, the better I was.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    since we will be in Montreal for Steven Wilson two days later, we will catch the Montreal date

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye out for that Sellersville show.
    Tickets are on sale now

25 bucks for the show near me can't argue with that price and the venue is tiny so will certainly be close quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Tickets are on sale now
    Are they? They're "TBA" on Morse's site. I'll check it out on the Sellersville site.

Thanks, progman.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, the closest to me is Sellersville, which is a 3 hour drive minimum. Not very likely I'll be going, though I think it would be a good show and I'd be very interested to see it if it were just a bit closer. Shows I want to see almost never are though, sadly.

The Neal Morse Band will be getting together in January to write and record the next prog full-band followup album to TSOAD. Depending on how those sessions go, and Mike Portnoy's availability for further followup recording sessions, it's possible that album could be out before 2018's end with a new NMB tour to follow.

In the meantime, and as Mike heads out on the road with Sons of Apollo, it's an ideal time for Neal to release this new singer-songwriter album and do a number of solo dates. I expect the show will mix tunes from this album and his last singer-songwriter album "Songs from November" with some acoustic versions from his solo prog repertoire and Spock's material. It'll probably be a great evening of a career retrospective in a unplugged format. For instance, at Morsefest he even did a solo acoustic version of "Agenda", which was damn good! No one saw that coming. I don't really expect many - if any - songs from his worship albums. That would be a different kind of tour in different venues (e.g. churches). Though probably a couple tracks from his Testimony albums to share that part of his life.

Looking forward to this change of pace!

have fun but be prepared for a sermon between songs. he's releasing another prayer album.
    there will be holy water at the entrance and collection plate passed around. LOL

I purchased my tickets for Sellersville but wonder why Neal is not playing the New Jersey Proghouse inwhich
    He played two shows on the Testimony tour ?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    The Neal Morse Band will be getting together in January to write and record the next prog full-band followup album to TSOAD. Depending on how those sessions go, and Mike Portnoy's availability for further followup recording sessions, it's possible that album could be out before 2018's end with a new NMB tour to follow.

In the meantime, and as Mike heads out on the road with Sons of Apollo,
    Given how Sons of Apollo have been received, I get the feeling that Mike will be available for followup recording sessions.

I would go see this if it was coming closer to me, but closest show is a 3 hour drive, so probably won't be doing this one.

Ok I'm in! 2 tix for NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Given how Sons of Apollo have been received, I get the feeling that Mike will be available for followup recording sessions.
    Has it been received poorly? It's not my thing personally so I haven't kept up on the reviews and such.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***