Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECM is now streaming

ECM is now streaming

So now that the entire ECM catalog is up and streaming on iTunes, Spotify, etc...anyone care to list their 10 ten?

TIA

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I'll play. Doing 10 is hard for me. It leaves out about 75 other albums I want to list. So I only allowed one album per artist, and since the Tibbetts release is actually a re-release, I did 11. It also helped to not over-think it and just list ones that popped immediately into my head. Most are what I would consider to be "usual suspects."

In no particular order:

John Abercrombie - Timeless
    Terje Rypdal - Odyssey
    Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
    Chick Corea - Return To Forever
    Jan Garbarek / Bobo Stenson Quartet - Witchi-Tai-To
    Bill Connors - Theme To The Guardian
    Keith Jarrett - The Survivor’s Suite
    Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
    Steve Tibbetts - Yr
    Marc Johnson - Bass Desires
    Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto - Love Love

But of course, there's a ton of other releases by Rypdal, Towner, Abercrombie, Garbarek, Tibbetts, Phillips, Jarrett, Weber, Codona, Double Image, Gismonti, Liebman, etc., that could go on the list.

Here is some recommendations from New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/17/a...ing-guide.html
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Miciah- with maybe one exception, you chose what i would choose. :-) (Marc Johnson being the only one I am not familiar with.). I might take Barre Phillips first ECM disc instead.

I also just got a new ECM, by Michael Mantler and featuring Magma ex-vocalist Himiko Paganotti on vocals- How It Is- a remarkable album of arts songs.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Off the top of my head and in no order:

Ralph Towner - Solstice
    Pat Metheny - 80/81
    Jimmy Giuffre 3 - 1961
    Jan Garbarek - Afric Pepperbird
    Eberhard Weber - Yellow Fields
    Nick Bartsch’s Ronin - Live (2012)
    Tomasz Stanko - Leosia
    Kenny Wheeler - Around Six
    Edward Vesala - Lumi
    Keith Jarrett - Belonging
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Michael Mantlers The Hapless Child And Other Inscrutable Stories: https://open.spotify.com/album/6zJRA2J37Sz1Fsbo4FpLP7
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Most of the ECM titles (at least on Spotify) seem to be "watermarked" with Universal's reprehensible audible digital watermark. Heinous crime.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will be checking this out, I only have a few ECM albums so it seems like its time to explore.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Without looking at the record collection the ones that come to mind are:

Art Lande/Jan Garbarek - Red Lanta
    Steve Reich - Music for Large Ensemble/Octet/Violin Phase
    Keith Jarrett - Hymns/Spheres
    Ralph Towner - Solstice
    Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe
    Terje Rypdal - Waves
    Pat Metheny Group - s/t
    Steve Kuhn - Non Fiction
    Thomas Stronen - Time is a Blind Guide
    Mathias Eick - Midwest

A crazy amount of incredible music on this label!

Matt.

I'm not doing the streaming but keep those top ten lists coming!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How about a top 10 not currently available on CD? That's what I'd look for on a streaming service.

For example: Ralph Towner-Old Friends New Friends, John Abercrombie-Characters, New Directions in Europe, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    How about a top 10 not currently available on CD? That's what I'd look for on a streaming service.
    A few....

Dave Liebman- Drum Ode
    Dave Liebman- Lookout Farm
    Barre Phillips- Mountainscapes
    Barre Phillips- Three Day Moon
    Terje Rypdal- What Comes After
    Julian Priester- Polarization

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Rypdal - Waves
    Rypdal, Vitous, DeJohnette - Rypdal, Vitous, DeJohnette
    Oregon - Oregon
    Oregon - Crossing

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Most of the ECM titles (at least on Spotify) seem to be "watermarked" with Universal's reprehensible audible digital watermark. Heinous crime.
    Not sure what this means?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Not sure what this means?
    There's a good explanation here: https://www.mattmontag.com/music/uni...ible-watermark

Listen to a couple minutes of any Chick Corea or Keith Jarrett piano performance and you'll hear it quite clearly. It's been true of classical titles from Decca, Philips, Deutsche Grammophon, Archiv & L'Oiseau-Lyre for some time. Drives me batty. For such impeccably recorded music its like defacement of fine paintings.

I've heard relatively little of the overall catalogue but:

Eberhard Weber- The Colors Of Chloe, Yellow Fields
    Pat Metheny- Pat Metheny Group, As Falls Wichita...
    Keith Jarrett- The Koln Concert
    Ralph Towner- Solstice
    Jan Garbarek- Witchi Tai To
    John Abercrombie- Timeless
    Chick Corea- Return To Forever
    Rypdal/Dejohnette/Vitous

There's a good explanation here: https://www.mattmontag.com/music/uni...ible-watermark

Listen to a couple minutes of any Chick Corea or Keith Jarrett piano performance and you'll hear it quite clearly. It's been true of classical titles from Decca, Philips, Deutsche Grammophon, Archiv & L'Oiseau-Lyre for some time. Drives me batty. For such impeccably recorded music its like defacement of fine paintings.
    Why do they do it?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Why do they do it?
    To track where a pirate acquired the music. Good idea horribly implemented. It's been done to AM/FM radio signals for a long time to help ratings systems track listenership, but I've never noticed it there.

Once you get attuned to it, you can hear it in the streaming versions of the Moody Blues, early Gentle Giant, etc. Pretty much anybody on a label currently owned by Universal.

With the importance of fidelity to ECM, it's crazy to me that people there signed off on it.

Why do they do it?
    Reminds me of the 'copy protection' fiasco on CDs in the early-mid 2000s. Using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and treating consumers as potential criminals.

Once you get attuned to it, you can hear it in the streaming versions of the Moody Blues, early Gentle Giant, etc. Pretty much anybody on a label currently owned by Universal.
    A lot of John Coltrane too. It's a shame. Only good news is that I've been noticing it less often in new releases of the last couple years (for instance, a lot of the Rolling Stones catalog is watermarked, but as far as I can tell the mono box set they did recently is not).

With the importance of fidelity to ECM, it's crazy to me that people there signed off on it.
    No one who gives a fuck about fidelity is listening to ECM on Spotify. They are listening to ECM on Spotify because it's free.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I've been noticing it less often in new releases of the last couple years
    Me too. That's why I was surprised that the whole ECM catalog got the treatment.

So will purchased downloads feature it or not?
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No one who gives a fuck about fidelity is listening to ECM on Spotify. They are listening to ECM on Spotify because it's free.
    I've heard suggestions that a lot of the complaints about streaming audio quality from Spotify, Tidal, etc. are actually people hearing the Universal label watermarking as a compression artifact.

The watermarking is constant, randomized audio scrambling in .08 second intervals at a bandwidth that lies in the hot spot of music content. Really destructive stuff. It exists independently of sample rate and bit rate. When such a huge swath of culturally prominent music is compromised, one could easily be fooled into thinking that's just what Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz sound like.

It's not just streaming either. When I was working in radio, they started putting it on promo CD's too.

So will purchased downloads feature it or not?
    They shouldn't.