Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifesigns

Thanks again guys.......just spent another $67.00 at Burning Shed.... (of course, it wasn't all on this title....saw some other stuff I just couldn't live without)
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

John, you missed the opening guitar solo on Caroussel: Nick Beggs on Stick.

I stand corrected. ALL the guitar parts on this are fantastic! I can't say enough how GREAT this CD is! Only February, but I bet it will be in my Top 5 for the year! Now.....COME TO ATLANTA!!!!

My copy finally arrived a few days ago. I was starting to get a bit ticked off at Burning Shed because I had pre-ordered way back in the beginning of December, but the old adage turned out to be true in this case -- good things come to those who wait. Not only am I loving the music -- superb musicianship -- but now that I'm several listens into the album, I've started to actually listen to the lyrics, and the songwriting is excellent. I'm one of those music lovers that enjoys meaningful lyrics. Maybe it's my age, but I'm finding all the tracks are relatable. It doesn't hurt that John Young and Nick Beggs harmonize beautifully! This is a quality album, and like many of you, I'm sure this will be one of my top picks for 2013.

and John has worked his ar** off on promotion too as well as ourselves. Its rare you get an artist that can do this so well--and it is imo --a great release with classic appeal! Reminds me of 70's Yes but doesnt sound dated-- which is a hard trick to pull off. Its also selling out as fast as we get it in--which in prog these days is no mean feat.

Well deserved success IMO - it's a quality release that I'm still listening to after a few weeks (in fact I'm listening to Carousel now!)
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Well.....I guess I'm the first one NOT gushing about this release....The liner notes read like a musicians-musician resume but to tell you the truth? I had to get out my Toy Matinee & Martin Orford (IQ) solo CDs to see if any of these guys played on them....it's that close! Played it three times today.....will wait a few days to try it again. It's ok, it's just that I didn't find it all that original.

Putting on my flame-retarding undies now.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Bought it last week, and indeed, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Well.....I guess I'm the first one NOT gushing about this release....The liner notes read like a musicians-musician resume but to tell you the truth? I had to get out my Toy Matinee & Martin Orford (IQ) solo CDs to see if any of these guys played on them....it's that close! Played it three times today.....will wait a few days to try it again. It's ok, it's just that I didn't find it all that original.

You can't appeal to all people all the time, where's the fun in that?

2013 has started with two brilliant albums for me. Big Big Train English Electric 2 has hardly been out of the CDP for a week and then this arrived yesterday. I've had three plays already, twice from my MP3 player and the CD once in the HiFi. The sound quality is excellent, really does justice to the production. And the music itself is great - a real winner to my ears.

K

Quote Originally Posted by VickiLynn View Post
    You can't appeal to all people all the time, where's the fun in that?
    I know for sure I wrote this comment on a different thread! Where is my mind?...

One more for the list...

Banned
    Since Nick Beggs is in the band, you guys should cover Too Shy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post

Another whos not quite getting it,good in parts but sounds like it was recorded in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Since Nick Beggs is in the band, you guys should cover Too Shy.
    Please don't!!

I listen to it now, and I must say it's seems a very good album. Modern art rock at it's best attitude.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Finally got around to listening to this - gave it a few spins over the last few days, and last night it was a good listen on headphones with a couple of beers. I really like it. To me it seems a grower. Wasn't too impressed on first listen, but each time more things stand out and the melodies seem stronger. So the prognosis is good.

Two questions:

1) soblivious on PE is John Young, right?
    2) John Young is the guy with long hair but NO pigtails, right? So Frosty is the other bloke? Just checking. Love the portrait on the website with the ball chairs, and the portrait in the booklet is great too.

Vinyl please.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Vinyl please.
    I'm sure vinyl will sound great, but IMO the CD sounds pretty excellent.

yep, thst correct on the picture.

We do have a radio edit version of "Telephone" out as a digital single on Monday 22nd April(and a great job too they have made of editing) problem was for radio all songs apart from the totally specialit stations were too long. Quite a few US radio guys had asked me if it was possible to have an edited version, so it has been done--usual places itunes, Amazon etc. .

Vinyl is still being discussed. The main issue is it has to be double gatefold (which is quite pricey to do) because of how the tracks run and the band didnt want it editing for vinyl and also there is no natural "split point" in the tracks that works for vinyl.

Old man of prog
    Tie for album of the year between this and Spock.

^ A single edit is a great idea, because I was thinking (more than with any other album I've heard in a long time) that in a fair world this album (and probably Telephone in particular) would get some airplay. But I also like long tracks!

RE: the vinyl, it also needs to be a gatefold because of the great photo which needs to span two "pages," really (the one with the countryside, church, etc.).

Life Signs Pastoral Gatefold-1.jpg
    agreed about the gatefold...there are several options :-)

Fridge Full Of Stars reminds me of early Yes - both musically and lyrically - "smile upon your face", "human race" etc. and those choruses... very good retro-prog vibe...
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Band have brand new website (nice one) www.lifesigns.me