Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Styx Wednesday Night

DDY had such a strong voice... but that "frontman" act was taken a bit too far in the vid

I thought at first those were the Panozzo brothers in the vid but I guess the one had already died by that time
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yeah, DDY's stage presence can be pretty cheesy, but his voice was/still is in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    good to hear!

only other song that wasn't played that I would have wanted to see is Castle Walls

I may hafta buy that GI/Po8 live video from a few years back
    The last time I saw Deyoung solo he did "Castle Walls"

Man In The Wilderness is the best song Tommy wrote. nice to see they are finally performing it again.
    pity that Castle Walls (the next track on GI) blows it away!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    DDY had such a strong voice... but that "frontman" act was taken a bit too far in the vid
    Exactly on both points..

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The majority agrees that Kansas is prog. But NogTheBad does not believe that Kansas are Prog.
    A couple of good barrel aged stouts outta soften him up

I saw Styx on Friday night for the first time ever. Decent sized arena in Cedar Rapids, probably 85% full, 5000 attendance? Nice turnout. Some really rabid fans. Singing and dancing along to all the songs.

I loved Styx as a kid but lost interest in college. I'll say I'm glad I saw them but I was reminded of why I lost interest.

PROS: Amazing vocals and harmonies. The main players are well into their 60s but look and sound 20 years younger.
    Good setlist. Hits but not all hits. Mission songs sounded good compared to the oldies.
    And kudos for having the cojones to play the ridiculous Mr. Roboto as an encore. I think they were in on the joke and it was fun to hear.
    Gowan's proggy keyboards were great.

CONS: Nothing interesting going on instrumentally when no one is singing (except for when Gowan is at it...). No interplay. Not a "listening" band.
    Shaw and JY's solos were pedestrian and uninteresting. Same wankarama for every "rock" song.

So that's it. I recommend to everyone to go at least once, but I probably wouldn't go again.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Shaw and JY's solos were pedestrian and uninteresting. Same wankarama for every "rock" song.
    That's always been the case.

Personally, I just can't watch James Young.

Glad you enjoyed the show.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have a very soft spot for Styx. Would have loved to seen that show.

The current line-up of STYX is fantastic -- seen them three times and all of those shows were spot-on -- don't miss DeYoung at all.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I saw Styx on Friday night for the first time ever. Decent sized arena in Cedar Rapids, probably 85% full, 5000 attendance? Nice turnout. Some really rabid fans. Singing and dancing along to all the songs.

I loved Styx as a kid but lost interest in college. I'll say I'm glad I saw them but I was reminded of why I lost interest.

PROS: Amazing vocals and harmonies. The main players are well into their 60s but look and sound 20 years younger.
    Good setlist. Hits but not all hits. Mission songs sounded good compared to the oldies.
    And kudos for having the cojones to play the ridiculous Mr. Roboto as an encore. I think they were in on the joke and it was fun to hear.
    Gowan's proggy keyboards were great.

CONS: Nothing interesting going on instrumentally when no one is singing (except for when Gowan is at it...). No interplay. Not a "listening" band.

So that's it. I recommend to everyone to go at least once, but I probably wouldn't go again.
    I briefly considered making the trip down for the concert, but Styx is one of the few bands from my youth that somehow never made the transition into adult listening enjoyment. I have heard good things about the current incarnation and tour, so glad there was a decent turnout and you enjoyed it at least a little. One of these days we're bound to run into each other somewhere along the corridor!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I briefly considered making the trip down for the concert, but Styx is one of the few bands from my youth that somehow never made the transition into adult listening enjoyment.
    I was a big fan of their 1974 to 1981 albums apart from Cornerstone. I didn't listen much after 15 or so but went to a 1996 concert and thought they were great... except... I started to feel a little bored in the second act. I still listen to the Return to Paradise live album every couple of years in summer .

I'm not opposed to seeing them with Gowan...I just haven't yet. I saw them in 1996 on their reunion....Kansas was opening.

I saw them the back a month or so ago with my daughter. First time seeing them with Gowan. Definitely a full-on show that is well-oiled and sounds remarkably great. Where Styx deserves credit is they fill the vacancies with better musicians than where there before. But, I agree with reviewer that it's not really a "listening" show. It's a rock show, and it never really relaxes with any nuance. Styx has always been that way though. Good show, but once was enough.

Saw Styx in 83 - I was a kid - the jean shorts, mullets, and stank of stale beer and smokes is still with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Where Styx deserves credit is they fill the vacancies with better musicians than where there before.
    Yes. Todd Sucherman is arguably the best rock drummer around today, or one of the best. John Panozzo (RIP) was very good, but Todd is incredible.

Watched this DDY concert on PBS this weekend. Solid, well performed show. DeYoung is still in excellent voice.

But seriously, these guys. A little too on-the-nose to not be intentional, methinks.
    Last edited by jamesmanzi; 05-01-2019 at 03:01 PM.

I've never seen Styx or owned any of their records, but I guess I would know about half of the songs in their setlist very well after hearing them on the radio 10,000 times back in the day. I think I played a few of their tunes in a couple of bands I played with in the 80's. Agree their "new" drummer is really phenomenal. I watched a bit of this DDY video you'ce posted here, it looks like a great show. DDY looks super fit and sounds the same as in the 70's, he must be taking good care of himself.
    I still remember that VH1 Behind the Music episode on Styx from many years ago. That fellow JY came off as a huge weiner, couldn't hide his enmity for DDY.

Styx may not be as musically interesting to prog fans as the popular prog acts, but a lot of people seemed to feel that they upstaged Yes a few years ago with their fitness and tight playing as a unit. I remember a quote from Steve Howe who didn't seem so impressed with Styx' "cartwheels" on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post

Styx may not be as musically interesting to prog fans as the popular prog acts, but a lot of people seemed to feel that they upstaged Yes a few years ago with their fitness and tight playing as a unit.
    As a fan of current Yes, I was still among those folks - they were probably at their lowest in recent years when they co-headlined with Styx; it was the tour where Benoit's voice was shot, right before he was out. Styx definitely blew them away.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    As a fan of current Yes, I was still among those folks - they were probably at their lowest in recent years when they co-headlined with Styx; it was the tour where Benoit's voice was shot, right before he was out. Styx definitely blew them away.
    ^
    I can't believe Yes got into the RRHoF before Styx.

Was a fan of Styx back in the day but got tired of DDY's animated stage presence and front man theatrics. As well, I always thought that his harmony vocal lines were mixed a tad louder than the other voices which suggested he wanted to be featured even when he was supposed to be blending. When they got to Mr. Roboto, I was out and I understand why the band decided to move on without him when he was ill and couldn't tour. They've survived quite well without him and I've seen them with Gowan and they cover all the material well. I watched a few minutes of the DDY and the music of Styx video and it just reinforced the things he does that are off putting to me. I also found it interesting that his band could cover a Styx song he had no writing credit for (Crystal Ball). And did he really have to find guitar players that resembled Shaw and JY?
    Last edited by hewhoknows; 05-01-2019 at 05:50 PM.

The eons are closing
    I think the correct phases of Styx fandom goes:

Likes Styx as pre-teen -> gets laid -> never listens to Styx again.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    For me, Styx rocks. I saw them live about 8 years ago and they were phenomenal. Even though I've avidly followed Yes for over 40 years, and they're one of my favourite bands, I would see Styx live before Yes live according to the current line-ups. I'm not too cool for Styx, saw them in the 1970s, and more recently, and they never disappoint. Light up is such an excellent rock anthem. We followed suit, as teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I've never seen Styx or owned any of their records, but I guess I would know about half of the songs in their setlist very well after hearing them on the radio 10,000 times back in the day. I think I played a few of their tunes in a couple of bands I played with in the 80's. Agree their "new" drummer is really phenomenal. I watched a bit of this DDY video you'ce posted here, it looks like a great show. DDY looks super fit and sounds the same as in the 70's, he must be taking good care of himself.
    I still remember that VH1 Behind the Music episode on Styx from many years ago. That fellow JY came off as a huge weiner, couldn't hide his enmity for DDY.

Styx may not be as musically interesting to prog fans as the popular prog acts, but a lot of people seemed to feel that they upstaged Yes a few years ago with their fitness and tight playing as a unit. I remember a quote from Steve Howe who didn't seem so impressed with Styx' "cartwheels" on stage.
    Deyoung and all of the guys in the current Styx band are health nuts these days and are in very very good shape for their ages.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I think the correct phases of Reo Speedwagon fandom goes:

Likes Reo Speedwagon as pre-teen -> gets laid -> never listens to Reo Speedwagon again.
    There's some truth to this...