Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misconceptions

When I was a kid I thought once you used a song title no one could ever use that song title again for a different song, because of copyright regulations. It was easy to believe because the hits of the time had weird titles like "Karma Chameleon," "New Moon On Monday" and "Total Eclipse of the Heart." I remember actually wondering what would happen if we ran out of song titles.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

^ I like this one.

It took me several years to realize that the Dave Stewart on the Bruford albums wasn't the Eurythmics guy.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    For years I was under the misconception that Screaming Lord Sutch was some kind of great performer and impresario in that he got all these great stars to play with him. All my high school pals were really into him and his ... and Friends album. Years later I learned that he was some lunatic nut who put out novelty records that weren't all that good and was a poor imitation of Screamin' Jay Hawkins.
    He's known more for his political activities these days in the UK. He was the leader of the Monster Raving Loony party in the UK and stood regularly in bi-elections. Apparently he was actually the 3rd Earl of Harrow. Died of suicide due to depression in 1999.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You mean he isn't???
    I would like to cite youthful ignorance in my defence but I only found out 8 years ago after posting on a film forum. Someone put me right with this quote:

From Steven C Smith's "A Heart at Fire's Centre" - The Life and Music
    of Bernard Herrmann - published 1991: page 295:

"Once, orchestras like the Halle and BBC had considered him an
    important force in American concert music; but neither organization
    woud invite him again to conduct. Herrmann blamed the BBC's rebuff on
    the odd coincidence that *another* Bernard Herrmann, an English
    conductor of music hall songs and pop music, led the BBC's Northern
    Orchestra and that the two men had become confused. The BBC denied any
    confusion - though that did not prevent the American Herrmann from
    receiving the Englishman's income forms year after year."

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He was the leader of the Monster Raving Loony party in the UK
    Must.Resist.Commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He's known more for his political activities these days in the UK. He was the leader of the Monster Raving Loony party in the UK and stood regularly in bi-elections. Apparently he was actually the 3rd Earl of Harrow. Died of suicide due to depression in 1999.
    Not Googling here...I believe he ran in the then Prime Minister Harold Wilson's ward of Heyton or Hoyton, Liverpool. Regardless...SLS was a great performer and definitely a must see act. His live shows with his band the Savages were hilarious and had an amazing array of great musicians.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I heard a guy named Chester Thompson played with Genesis in the mid seventies. Since when did the hire a Hammond Organ player who played with Tower of Power?

I was absolutely certain that Kerry Livgren was dead. And felt sorry for the loss. He's still among us I found out a week ago. Which means he hasn't listened to the autotuned versions of his songs yet.

Al Lewis, grandpa from the Munsters sang on the last StarCastle CD.........

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Not Googling here...I believe he ran in the then Prime Minister Harold Wilson's ward of Heyton or Hoyton, Liverpool. Regardless...SLS was a great performer and definitely a must see act. His live shows with his band the Savages were hilarious and had an amazing array of great musicians.
    After watching that video, I stand corrected, Dave. That is great stuff!

His lordship (played by an actor, of course) appears in the movie Telstar about Joe Meek. He was shown as having really long hair in 1962; way ahead of his time.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Huyton. It's a right shithole.

His lordship (played by an actor, of course) appears in the movie Telstar about Joe Meek. He was shown as having really long hair in 1962; way ahead of his time.
    I think there was one of those creaky Scopitone promos for 'Jack The Ripper' as well. That's more or less the only track I know.

After watching that video, I stand corrected, Dave. That is great stuff!

Something about that doesn't look like 1962. The long hair, the great sound quality.... and the fact that TOTP ("Top of the Pops") didn't start broadcasting until January 1964.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Something about that doesn't look like 1962. The long hair, the great sound quality.... and the fact that TOTP ("Top of the Pops") didn't start broadcasting until January 1964.
    He was around long before TOTP. He was, I believe, the first long haired pop musician, Google not withstanding...He would come on stage with his hair tucked up inside a top hat, and would take of the hat to reveal his mop, which he would twirl around in the fashion of later musicians in the metal genre. He had many stage props including a toilet seat that he would wear around his neck. There is a documentary on YT, that gives a good idea of a typical show.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I have a cousin who, despite being the same age as myself, was so musically square in the early 70s it was comical. He listened to a lot of "mellow" stuff/smooth country. He was bewildered by anyone liking anything else. Elton John was hard rock for him. I remember him seeing one of my Led Zeppelin albums back in the day and saying, "I really don't like his music". "OK John, you just go back to your fucking Roger Miller right now."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Which ones Pink.
    I am pretty sure this is covered in another thread, but I thought it was one of the regular band members singing this. I had no idea it was Super Special Guest Star Roy Harper until it was pointed out to me much later.

I thought it was a woman singing Johnny Nash’s “I Can See Clearly Now” at first. Similarly, I thought the lead singer of Skyy (of “Call Me” fame) was a man until I saw them performing on TV.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    ^ I like this one.

It took me several years to realize that the Dave Stewart on the Bruford albums wasn't the Eurythmics guy.
    I didn't become aware of Dave Stewart the keyboardist in the mid 80's, when he was writing a column for Keyboard magazine. His one sentence bio at the end of each installment went something like "Dave Stewart has never played with The Eurythmics, but he has played with National Health, Hatfield And The North and Bill Bruford". At one point, Rykodisc put out at least one of the Stewart & Gaskins albums, with a similar comment in the catalog. Nevertheless I had to argue with a WAVE disc jockey who played a Stewart & Gaskins, and announced it as a solo a project of "Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics". She refused to believe that he was a different guy.

And to make matters more confusing, there was apparently a third Dave Stewart, who played rhythm guitar in Steve Hillage's late 70's band (playing, I believe, on the Live/Herald and Open tours).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember back before I'd ever heard The Grateful Dead I thought the name sounded kind of ominous, and since I'd heard them called Acid Rock, I expected all their music to be dark and loud, and angry. Then in college I had friends who were into them and I got into them and I realized it was songs like Uncle John's Band, which my grandmother probably would have liked.
    Funny, I remember seeing pictures of Jerry Garcia in the early 80's, and I always assumed they were a country band. But then they did the theme music for the mid 80's version of THe Twilight Zone, which most definitely isn't country music.

Later on, I got into the band, and heard some of their stuff that is most definitely nothing like Uncle John's Band. Their second and third albums, Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa, are two of the best and most underrated psychedelic rock albums. Later, during the 72-74 era, the improvisations during their sets were also very trippy, reaching way beyond the "jam band" stereotype that was retroactively slapped on them. Anyone who thinks they didn't space out should really check out some of the live stuff from that era.
    Randy Jackson, musician. Discuss.
    Which one? Randy Jackson the singer/songwriter/guitarist from Zebra? Randy Jackson the bassist/American Idol judge who played with Jean Luc Ponty, Blue Oyster Cult and Journey? Or Randy Jackson the keyboardist/brother of Michael, Tito, Jermaine, Jackie, Marlon, LaToya, Janet and Rebbie?

I read a review of an album by former Hampton Grease Band guitarist Glenn Phillips on Amazon once. The entire review was very negative, the guy complaining about it being an album experimental instrumentals that "don't work". Finally, at the end, he mentions he's a big Toad The Wet Sprocket fan, which is where we found out he obviously mistook Glenn Phillips for Glen Phillips, who apparently was one of the guys in TTWS and had a subsequent career as a singer/songwriter, I gather.

Glenn himself also told a story once of being contacted by some guy whose ex-girlfriend was a Toad fan and wanted him to talk to her to talk her into coming back to the guy. When Glenn explained he wasn't the guy from Toad The Wet Sprocket, the guy still insisted that he try to "talk some sense" into the girl.

Let's see...there's two guitarists named David Chastain, one a metal guitarist, the other a blues player.

For the longest time, I couldn't keep the names Boulez and Berlioz straight in my mind. This was before I was really into classical music, but I knew they were both composers, and I knew one of them was a contemporary composer who had worked with Frank Zappa, and the other was a Romantic era composer.

Similarly, as a 10-12 year old first getting into guitar music, I had Pat Travers and Pat Metheny confused (this was before I ever actually heard Travers, and only heard a little bit of Metheny). I also had Ralph Towner and Robin Trower mixed up in my mind, for awhile.

I've read that some people used to get Albert Lee, legendary guitarist who backed up Emmylou Harris, Eric Clapton and others, and Alvin Lee the guitarist of Ten Years After, mixed up.

One that I was initially confused by was Peter Banks and Tony Banks. I thought they were related at first, given that Phil Collins played on Peter's one solo album from the early 70's, and Genesis and Yes sort of came into being at around the same time. Of course, they came into being in two different parts of the UK, and of course, Peter and Tony aren't related, but I didn't know that in the 80's.

I remember when I first saw some Anthony Phillips records in a record store, and initially wasn't sure if he was the guy who had been in Genesis. The liner notes to Private Parts And Pieces (which explicitly mentions the Genesis connection) set me straight on that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For the longest time, I couldn't keep the names Boulez and Berlioz straight in my mind. This was before I was really into classical music, but I knew they were both composers, and I knew one of them was a contemporary composer who had worked with Frank Zappa, and the other was a Romantic era composer.
    Boulez, as a conductor, recorded quite a bit of Berlioz. (Listening through the box set of his complete Columbia recordings, I noticed that he seemed to have a special affinity for the "B" composers, as there was also a lot of Berg, Beethoven, and his own music.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Here's a guy with a misconception: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-17519150

Did anyone ever confuse Glenn Hughes from Deep Purple with Glenn Hughes from the Village People?

I remember when I first heard Yes in the early 80's I thought The Yes Album was their first record.

Also, when I bought Soft Machine Third I thought all eight musicians listed in the credits were full members of the band. I wasn't sure why the gatefold photo didn't show them all or why I could only hear trombone for a few short passages and violin only on one song.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I once bought an album by Glen Phillips of Toad The Wet Sprocket expecting it was by Glenn Phillips of the Hampton Grease Band.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    I read a review of an album by former Hampton Grease Band guitarist Glenn Phillips on Amazon once. The entire review was very negative, the guy complaining about it being an album experimental instrumentals that "don't work". Finally, at the end, he mentions he's a big Toad The Wet Sprocket fan, which is where we found out he obviously mistook Glenn Phillips for Glen Phillips, who apparently was one of the guys in TTWS and had a subsequent career as a singer/songwriter, I gather.

Glenn himself also told a story once of being contacted by some guy whose ex-girlfriend was a Toad fan and wanted him to talk to her to talk her into coming back to the guy. When Glenn explained he wasn't the guy from Toad The Wet Sprocket, the guy still insisted that he try to "talk some sense" into the girl.
    Guess I'm not the only one.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I had finally managed to get straight that Tab Benoit is a decent blues guitarist, while David Benoit is a smooth jazz pianist. Then along came Benoit David, formerly of Yes and Mystery, to set the wheels of confusion spinning again.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973