Thread: Ken Watson - Assembly

Ken Watson - Assembly

Listening to this the other day. I forgot how outstanding this is. Thanks Ken!

Yeah, this really is a good one. I missed it on the first go-around, but wound up scoring a second hand copy in awesome condition for a reasonable price. I enjoy this one a lot! I also have Twinkle Factor, which is also good, but not as good as Assembly, imo.

Never heard his third one, Chin Music. Was that any good? Was that a CDR only release, or was it on a pressed CD?

Bill

CDR only, iirc.

He made a really small edition.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Greetings,

I fell in love with the album the very first time I heard samples from the LP at Doug Larson's place (most likely in 1990 or 1991) and spent quite a bit of time very aggressively trying to hunt down a copy of vinyl for myself--which eventually led to my contacting Ken directly and finding that, in addition to being a great composer and player, he was also a very cool guy who also had nearly identical taste in music (to me). I was overjoyed to finally get a copy of the album (thanks again, Ken!) and, to this day, it is still one of my personal favorites.

Although I very much enjoy all of Ken's music, I must admit that I generally prefer the band-oriented vibe of Assembly over the more one-man-with-a-guitar-and-a-computer approach of The Twinkle Factor--but I think Ken really refined this latter approach on A Little Chin Music and find it closer to Assembly in terms of overall enjoyment. ("Waiting Room" in and of itself is a must-have IMO.) With the advent of sites like Bandcamp, I'm only hoping that Ken will eventually make A Little Chin Music available again. (It was a professionally mastered CD-R only release, by the way.)

Cheers,

Alan

I have all of Ken Watson's releases and they are worth searching out. They all have some bit of a Canterbury jazz-rock feel.
    Assembly is pretty amazing considering that Ken Watson did all the composing and performing. The drum work is outstanding, for me.

A great album by a great composer/musician! I still give it a spin now and then.

I love this album and listened to it not that long ago.

quite excellent! no comparisons... very original sounding
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Picked this one up a long time ago, and I remember liking it a lot. Ken definitely has his own twist on fusion. Time to break it out again for a listen- - - Jeff