Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Is Kansas Progressive-Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Lonely Street is a killer track. No keyboards, just balls and crunch guitars. Great, great, f***ing track. I bought the remaster of Two For The Show because of the inclusion of Lonely Street.
    That run of tracks on Two For the Show on the 2nd CD of Belexes--Cheyenne Anthem--Lonely Street--Miracles Out of Nowhere displays Kansas' fantastic progressive/bar band blues midwest rock duality beautifully. Beautiful complex adventurous tracks with multiple time changes and a variety of instrumentation juxtaposed with simple straightforward in your face searing ballsy kick ass hard blues rock. Fabulous stuff, as is that whole remastered gem of course. Don't know many bands if any that ever pulled that off so well.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Do I dare ask was Proto-Kaw more or less progressive than Kansas?
    More.

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/track/hegemonium
    https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/track/nactolos-21
    https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co.../totus-nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Why do people keep saying "Carry On" isn't prog? That's just crazy talk.
    I know, right? If there were such a thing per se, Carry On would seem the perfect exemplar of that. Pretty funny, this whole "Prog" business
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Why do people keep saying "Carry On" isn't prog? That's just crazy talk.

Very prog.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    More.
    The Proto-Kaw recordings issued by Cuneiform display far more of a European influence, specifically that of Soft Machine, Colosseum, King Crimson and the "general 1970-71" vibe when progressive rock was not as much a sense of formula but an approach to certain aspects of eclecticism (incorporating jazz, psychedelia etc.). Interestingly, both (later) Kansas tracks featured there - "Belexes" and "Incomudro" - already sound completed, except for the instrumentation which would change with the following incarnation. What truly set them way apart from the Kansas band was the heavy influx of improvisation.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have Proto-Kaw the Early Recordings. It's got a very late 60s, early 70s VDGG sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The Smithereens aren't Prog!
    BUt they made some good rock n roll records. I mean, I only know the singles, used to see their videos on MTV all the time back in the 80's, but they always struck me as a good band.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BUt they made some good rock n roll records. I mean, I only know the singles, used to see their videos on MTV all the time back in the 80's, but they always struck me as a good band.
    Good heavens, I was joking. The Smithereens are fine. Somebody said "smithereens" and I just went with it. Maybe it was only funny to me.

FWIW, I absolutely love Only a Memory and I've been pushing the rock band I'm in to play it because I'd love to sing it. But so far no luck. So yeah, not Prog, but definitely did some cool songs.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't find the Hitler rant with the part about Kansas - can anyone find that?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can't find the Hitler rant with the part about Kansas - can anyone find that?
    I think it's the one where he flips out because he finds out Fripp has banned photography at all King Crimson concerts. As I recall, he tells "everyone who thinks Kansas are prog" to leave the room. It's either that or the one where he finds out that Rabin, not Howe, will be playing on the new Yes album.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Very prog.
    carrion.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think it's the one where he flips out because he finds out Fripp has banned photography at all King Crimson concerts. As I recall, he tells "everyone who thinks Kansas are prog" to leave the room. It's either that or the one where he finds out that Rabin, not Howe, will be playing on the new Yes album.
    I found the PE thread with the link - looks like it's been removed from YT.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Very prog.
    Good one, Ian
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    looks like it's been removed from YT.
    So, for the first effin' time they have actually removed an item featuring Hitler from YT. It must have been the 'prog' part of it.

But hey! At least - as of today - ol' Charlie Manson's dead!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But hey! At least - as of today - ol' Charlie Manson's dead!
    DRIP
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The Smithereens aren't Prog!
    Why sure they are, the covered Tommy didn't they (concept albums are still prog, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    (concept albums are still prog, right?).
    Don't know if that was tongue-in-cheek or not, but the answer to your question is no, not solely by virtue of it being a concept album.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Why sure they are, the covered Tommy didn't they (concept albums are still prog, right?).
    To me, some are, some aren't. Tommy is a rock opera, and may for its day have been progressive in some ways, but isn't really really Progressive Rock, imo. That distinction may not be meaningful to you or others, but it is to me. Not so much because I like to put music into boxes or whatever, but because I think it's a useful shorthand for the elements of music you are discussing. If I want more music like Yes and ELP (as a simple example), I'm not sure I'd want someone recommending Tommy to me. Yeah, it's conceptual, but it has little in common musically with what the bands most commonly knows as "Progressive Rock" were doing.

It's this very issue that is at the crux of the "is Kansas Prog" question. The presence of more "typical" rock elements on their albums could call into question their status as a Prog band, though generally it seems most accept Kansas as Prog because of the prevalence of Proggy stuff on those early albums. But if it all sounded like Lonely Street and It Takes a Woman, but was organized into a thematic concept, I'm not sure there would be as much support for Kansas as Prog, despite the conceptual nature.

Of course, mileage varies on this almost infinitely, but that's my take on it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Don't know if that was tongue-in-cheek or not, but the answer to your question is no, not solely by virtue of it being a concept album.
    Sorry, i didn't put a little smiley face or wink wink at the end of that statement. For the record though i adore 2 1/2 minute power pop and garage/punk songs every bit as much as prog.