Thread: FEATURED 2003 Album: Azigza - Kriya

FEATURED 2003 Album: Azigza - Kriya

For the next week plus, we're going to feature 10 albums that were released 10 years ago and are now a decade old. How have they held up? You may have forgotten a few or have yet to fathom the album is now 10 years old.

Next up, the long awaited sophomore effort from the American world fusion group Azigza. This was a pretty solid album, but never got the traction the first did, and they apparently faded away after...

Review from ProgArchives (Mellotron Storm)
    I first heard this band on the ProgDay 2001 double disc i have and i was really surprised at how incredible these guys sounded.They are from San Fransisco,California and have a strong world music flavour which is why i was surprised that i liked it so much.There are instruments used that i haven't even heard of before, but this still has that rock element,in fact these guys can bring it when they want to and that's what i love about them. KING CRIMSON has to be an influence when you here them let loose at times. So they're a four piece with lots of guests.This is very intricate sounding with some killer in your face bass.Everything is done so well.

"Ogun" opens with atmosphere as a stringed instrument comes in. It's building as the drums join in then male vocals. Love the guitar and chunky bass here.The percussion is excellent too.Everything is so intricate.

"Medicine" is an incredible track.It's spacey with male vocals that almost mumble along with female vocals melodies.The atmosphere and stringed instruments with the vocals are all so beautiful.It blends into "Wheel Of Bembe" then it becomes fuller sounding. Male vocals after a minute. Lots of drums and percussion here.Violin after 1 1/2 minutes then it stops after 4 minutes as they noodle about.

"Yaman" has these flute-like sounds then violin after a minute. It's building before 2 minutes then it settles back. Female vocals follow then the violin comes to the fore when the vocals stop. It picks up before 6 1/2 minutes with vocal melodies and an intense sound of guitar and drums.Huge bass lines too. "Orphans Of Agadir" is an instrumental that has an interesting rhythm to it.

"The Wall" has some Fripp-like guitar to open as the drums pound.Violin kicks in too.Cool track. "The Reminder" is one of my favourites. It has a similar sounding guitar and sound as the previous track except it becomes more powerful and intense. Incredible !

"Amalgram" is also a top tune for me.You can hear someone speaking to a crowd then sirens come in and other sounds.Percussion builds then other instruments join in followed by female vocal melodies.Great sound here ! Spoken female vocals come in.So freaking cool ! "A Bulgarian Suite" is led by the violin quickly as the bass and drums support.This is so impressive.The interplay is mind boggling.

"Shiva Calling" is very Eastern sounding. Male vocals 2 1/2 minutes in and female vocals follow. "X-Resolutions" has a KING CRIMSON vibe to it. Female vocals a minute in. Love the guitar after 4 minutes.Vocal melodies after 6 minutes.She's screaming out before 8 minutes.Amazing ! A change after 9 minutes with samples then it turns intense with sirens and more. A traditional Indian vibe takes over to end it as it calms right down.

This must be heard to be believed.With music like this AZIGZA should be much more popular than they are. Very close to 4.5 stars for this gem.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I remember seeing them at a prog fest out here in the LA area. Quite good.

First one is an amazing gem. Never got the same feeling about the follow-up.

I actually liked their second release better than the first. The addition of guitar added a nice bit of oomph that the first lacked.

Their performance at Prog West in 2002 with the guitar was pretty great.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Good band, good album, and representative of the "world-fusion prog" in vogue back in the mid-late 90s (e.g. Haunted By Waters, Carl Weingarten -- both also from the Bay Area). Nobody's really doing this sort of thing these days, which is a shame.

Very good album from a band that went completely under the radar...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Good band, good album, and representative of the "world-fusion prog" in vogue back in the mid-late 90s (e.g. Haunted By Waters, Carl Weingarten
    And Paranoise.

I like Azigza as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I actually liked their second release better than the first. The addition of guitar added a nice bit of oomph that the first lacked.

Their performance at Prog West in 2002 with the guitar was pretty great.
    I like the second one a little better too but both are very good.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I don't have this one, but they were great when they played ProgDay back in ........whatever year that was. I have their debut album which is very good. Whatever happened to these guys? I assume they are no longer together as I have not heard anything in a long time.

Steve Sly

Shame on me! In spite of seeing them live a bunch of times, I never got one of their albums. I did stream them off of last.fm a few years back, when you were still able to do that, and I quite enjoyed them. I was even there for one of their last gigs at the Oakland Metro (near Jack London Square) in 2003. Opening was Headshear, who were also very good (before they released their album, are they still together?).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Hit Factory/Business Is Business”-Godley & Creme/L

Good stuff. Too bad they only did two albums.

Probably one of my biggest memories was seeing them perform in the halls of ProgFest 1999 while we were all waiting to get into the performance area. They put on a hell of a performance, and I think I still have the demo cassette I bought from them somewhere.

One of the Azigza members (or ex-such) used to be a contributor at the old PE, IIRC.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    Probably one of my biggest memories was seeing them perform in the halls of ProgFest 1999 while we were all waiting to get into the performance area. They put on a hell of a performance, and I think I still have the demo cassette I bought from them somewhere.
    IMO, they were better than a number of the main stage acts. Ditto the bands that did the pre-show (Gerard, Djam Karet and Puppet Show).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Rubber Star”-Secret Oyster/Straight to the Krankenhaus

I never bought this album. I bought the first because of all the "buzz" in Prog circles, and was thoroughly underwhelmed by it, so I had no real motivation to go for the second.