Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gypsy--The End of an Era

Gypsy--The End of an Era

One of the most overlooked, underrated eclectic early American progressive rock/jam band pioneers, Gypsy, is playing their last run of live shows the next 2 weekends. Led by original member, lead singer, writer and Hammond organist James "Owl" Walsh, this fantastic band is playing 3--yes--3 shows at the Wildey Theater in Edwardsville, IL this weekend, a Friday night, Sat afternoon matinee show believe it or not, and a final St.Louis area show on Sat night in their biggest area of popular support.

This band has been championed and supported by the iconic StL FM station KSHE for 47 years since that magnificent debut double LP came out, with the classic FM staples of Gypsy Queen pts I and II, Dead and Gone, Tomorrow is the Last to Be Heard etc., which accounts for their massive cult popularity in this area, even thought the band originated out of the Minneapolis area. The Wildey is a beautiful intimate restored old movie theater (think the Chicago area's Arcada Theater, but half as big), and although these shows virtually all sold out almost immediately, there might be a few scattered seats remaining for some of them. Gypsy is then playing their last live concert ever the following Saturday in Minneapolis(just one show). Walsh is in his late 60s, and although his great vocal pipes are still going strong, I think he's decided that the traveling is too much at this point.

This band includes a 4 horn brass section, 2 percussionists and many long time members who have been with Walsh since the 70s, and they are a great live band that retain that signature harmony sound with Walsh's organ. Its a shame they have never gotten the national popularity they deserved, right from the get go. Their first 2 albums are absolute treasures and are highly sought. I thought this last run of live shows deserved a shout out as they close their touring career, the last time these treasured classics will be played live. I've been fortunate to see them live many times over the years, and I will be there for this last run of shows.

Anyone who is a Gypsy fan should seek out a couple of great DVDs they have released in the last few years. One is a complete live concert DVD filmed at the Wildey Theater a few years ago, and the other is one of the best documentary films about a band I have ever seen, called Rock and Roll Nomads, which traces them from their start as a Minneapolis early 60s garage rock band as The Underbeats to their move to LA as the house band at the Whiskey as Gypsy in the late 60s and into the 70s. Their story is fascinating yet frustrating and sad, marked by the tragic suicide of their primary lead singer and writer Enrico Rosenbaum in the late 70s. The doc even details how the band got caught up in the police investigation of the Tate-LaBianca Manson murders because they were renting a house right behind the LaBiancas at the time in LA. The band has a website and a facebook page where these DVDs are available.

As great bands like this disappear from the music landscape, its important that they be remembered because music like this isn't being made anymore. Those first 2 Gypsy albums sound as fresh and dynamic today as they did in the early 70s--I have been playing them for over 40 years and never tire of them. Simply a great band.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-05-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea they were still around after all these years (and I guess as of today, they aren't!). I have 3 of their 4 albums and enjoy listening to them from time to time. Of course I learned about them from KSHE also, great radio station back in the 70s.

saw em at Superjam 77. good times! there's a complete soundboard out there somewhere from that day but it's awfully hard to find.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been meaning to get a CD or two by Gypsy - they're played fairly often on Sirius XM (I forget if on Deep Tracks, or Classic Vinyl or which channel) and I always like their sound.

Here are their four studio albums - anyone care to rank them in order of proggy goodness?

Gypsy (1970)
    In the Garden (1971)
    Antithesis (1972)
    Unlock the Gates (1973)

^same as you got em now.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Thought they had disbanded by the end 70s...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

I'm almost 73 years old and people keep posting about bands I used to love and somehow forgot about. Isn't there a time when you just rest on your laurels (a/k/a present collection)?

Now I'm $45 poorer and have a month to wait for s/t & In The Garden from Germany.

As a singer for 60 plus years, how the hell did I forget Owl, Rosenbaum, and this band's incredible harmonies?

Many thanks, Doc!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yep, the first 2 are definitely the most "proggy", and although the last 2 have some good tunes, the songs are generally shorter and less complex as they tried for a breakthrough "hit" that never happened. The single "proggiest" track is on the second album though, the sublime As Far As You Can See (As Much as You Can Feel), a 12 minute tune that displays Rosenbaum's world weary lyrics and voice at its best (as well as Walsh's swirling Hammond B3). The first 2 albums are still hard to find in good shape on vinyl. The CD issues to look for were released by a local record store owner in the StL area on the Bedrock label in the late 1990s, and now those are hard to find. The Gypsy website does offer the first 4 albums in one package, but those are CDRs.

I did not go to Superjam 77 for some reason, but I actually do have that bootleg which is decent sounding considering its an outside stadium show. Gypsy opened the Superjam and it was brutally hot, over 100 degrees, and on that plastic astroturf it had to be searing down on the field, so I am probably glad I passed. Ironically, Walsh did not play at that show, he had some "legal difficulties" which did not allow him to travel. That was the last Gypsy show that Rosenbaum ever played (it was a one off gig as the band had not been touring for a few years), so its a bittersweet gig as it turned out.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-03-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post

I did not go to Superjam 77 for some reason, but I actually do have that bootleg which is decent sounding considering its an outside stadium show. Gypsy opened the Superjam and it was brutally hot, over 100 degrees, and on that plastic astroturf it had to be searing down on the field
    oh man, was it ever. it was inching close to 130 at midday. Gypsy was the third band to play. when Priest took the stage to kick it off, I think Rob lasted about 15 seconds before leather started flying. the acid rescue squad got a real workout that day. the record is 152 so it may have gotten worse...like I said, good times!

you could be right though about them going first. that was 40 years ago and I can barely remember yesterday
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-03-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

To these ears, "As Far As You Can See..." from the second album sounds remarkably like early Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    oh man, was it ever. it was inching close to 130 at midday. Gypsy was the third band to play. when Priest took the stage to kick it off, I think Rob lasted about 15 seconds before leather started flying. the acid rescue squad got a real workout that day. the record is 152 so it may have gotten worse...like I said, good times!

you could be right though about them going first. that was 40 years ago and I can barely remember yesterday
    I was just going by the Rock and Roll Nomads documentary which said Gypsy opened, as I wasn't there. There are some pretty good pics of that show on that documentary DVD, including a sea of bareshirted young white guys down on the field. I'm not sure rubbing up against all those sweaty bodies for 12 hours would be in my wheelhouse even when I was in HS, but I am sure the AB beverages were flowing. Pretty sad and ironic that it was Enrico's last Gypsy gig.
    I can see the early Kansas comparison, and I hear similarities to bands like Traffic; Santana; early Chicago (Gypsy was the Whiskey House Band right after CTA was, and those two bands hung around together a lot in that late 60s LA music scene); early Poco; a bit of Allman Bros; a pinch of Nektar even; and certainly the CSNY harmony parts. Going a bit further, fans of bands like Steely Dan and Ambrosia would certainly appreciate Gypsy. Despite all that, they still sound so unique and those first 2 albums are so amazingly mature considering their ages when they made them.

Gypsy toured sporadically in several forms after Rosenbaum died, as Walsh took over the mantle in the late 70s, but they have guys in the band that have been playing with Walsh since that time. When those albums finally got officially released on CD in the late 90s, they started touring a lot in this area ever since then--I've seen them at least a dozen times. Always thought they would have made a great Nearfest band.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-03-2017 at 04:23 PM.

The best Gypsy songs:

1. Dead and Gone*
    2. As Far as You Can See (As Much as You Can Feel)**
    3. Blind Man**
    4. Tomorrow Is the Last to Be Heard*
    5. Gypsy Queen Part I*
    6. Don't Get Mad (Get Even)****

*From the first album, Gypsy
    **From the second album, In the Garden
    ****From the fourth album, Unlock the Gates

I was just going by the Rock and Roll Nomads documentary which said Gypsy opened, as I wasn't there. There are some pretty good pics of that show on that documentary DVD, including a sea of bareshirted young white guys down on the field. I'm not sure rubbing up against all those sweaty bodies for 12 hours would be in my wheelhouse even when I was in HS, but I am sure the AB beverages were flowing. Pretty sad and ironic that it was Enrico's last Gypsy gig.
    I can see the early Kansas comparison, and I hear similarities to bands like Traffic; Santana; early Chicago (Gypsy was the Whiskey House Band right after CTA was, and those two bands hung around together a lot in that late 60s LA music scene); early Poco; a bit of Allman Bros; a pinch of Nektar even; and certainly the CSNY harmony parts. Going a bit further, fans of bands like Steely Dan and Ambrosia would certainly appreciate Gypsy. Despite all that, they still sound so unique and those first 2 albums are so amazingly mature considering their ages when they made them.

Gypsy toured sporadically in several forms after Rosenbaum died, as Walsh took over the mantle in the late 70s, but they have guys in the band that have been playing with Walsh since that time. When those albums finally got officially released on CD in the late 90s, they started touring a lot in this area ever since then--I've seen them at least a dozen times. Always thought they would have made a great Nearfest band.
    well, I was there and I don't even remember. a lot of people don't believe me about the temperature but it's true. down on the field at Busch II, it wasn't unusual for the thermometer to read above 130 during July and August. that turf was never kind to anyone. it almost ate Vince Coleman. evil stuff!

you got John Nieman's book? every rocker should have it. there's an interactive version online that explores a good part of it. almost seems unreal. you should try to connect with John Ulett or another one of the early DJs. they know Gypsy inside and out. John's first interview was with Bill Lordan. I mention John because he's pretty accessible and loves to chat about KSHE. those guys have some tales to tell, no doubt.
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-03-2017 at 09:02 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    The best Gypsy songs:

1. Dead and Gone*
    2. As Far as You Can See (As Much as You Can Feel)**
    3. Blind Man**
    4. Tomorrow Is the Last to Be Heard*
    5. Gypsy Queen Part I*
    6. Don't Get Mad (Get Even)****

*From the first album, Gypsy
    **From the second album, In the Garden
    ****From the fourth album, Unlock the Gates

They played all those last night except #6. In fact, the closing run of songs was
    Tomorrow is the Last to Be Heard
    Gypsy Queen
    Dead and Gone
    Encore--As Far as You Can See......

Third Eye>>>Decisions earlier in set was also fantastic.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-04-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    you got John Nieman's book? every rocker should have it. there's an interactive version online that explores a good part of it. almost seems unreal. you should try to connect with John Ulett or another one of the early DJs. they know Gypsy inside and out. John's first interview was with Bill Lordan. I mention John because he's pretty accessible and loves to chat about KSHE. those guys have some tales to tell, no doubt.
    Is that the big thick hardcover book about KSHE's history? If so I did buy it a number of years ago, some great photos in there. Funny you should mention KSHE DJs and Ulett, just this past week I went to the "premier" of a documentary made about the history of the station shown at the Moolah Theater, as KSHE is celebrating 50 years as a rock station this week. Ron Stevens produced the documentary called Never Say Goodbye, and its packed with tales from the early jocks from the 60s and 70s and how they ran that station by the seat of their pants and winged it most of the time, and the freedom they had in playing music etc.(including the long cuts from those Gypsy albums--Owl Walsh is also interviewed in the doc). Bunch of really funny stories, a lot of the old KSHE DJs from that era were there, Close, Kolander etc. Spoke with a few after including Stevens. The documentary reminded me a lot of the one about Tower Records called All Things Must Pass, which is fascinating.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-04-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Final Wildey show Sat night was fantastic. This band is going out on the top of their game if it really is the end. I love the fact that they ended both the Fri and Sat night shows with their longest proggiest track as the encore--As Far as You Can See (As Much as You Can Feel). The harmonies were spot on, Owl's vocals are still strong, and I love that old Hammond B3 at center stage. If I can figure out how to post a few pics I will---I was dead center in front of Owl's Hammond, 2nd row.

Someone last night had a ticket stub that said "Gypsy Farewell Show" at a place called Pop's where they used to play fairly frequently and it was from 2003---they came back and played 2 more times that year in the StL area and of course many years after, so I guess you never know. But given the Gypsy shirts that said "1970-2017" at the merch table and Walsh's and a few others health issues (Jones the bass guitarist), their statements that this is the finale seem pretty credible. Last show in Minneapolis next Sat. Owl got choked up at the end thanking the St Louis area for the incredible support that sustained this band over 47 years. Pretty cool to be a part of it.

I bought that first double LP in a tiny record store back when it came out in 1970, based on the cover art and the song titles alone. What a great album! Had the second and third LP's for quite a while. The fourth one I sold quickly. Glad I picked up the first album on CD used in the 90's, since I've never seen it again anywhere. Anybody know if the sound quality on the more recent Bedrock Records CD release of the first album sounds any better than the original CD on AJK Records?

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I bought that first double LP in a tiny record store back when it came out in 1970, based on the cover art and the song titles alone. What a great album! Had the second and third LP's for quite a while. The fourth one I sold quickly. Glad I picked up the first album on CD used in the 90's, since I've never seen it again anywhere. Anybody know if the sound quality on the more recent Bedrock Records CD release of the first album sounds any better than the original CD on AJK Records?
    Its been awhile but I had the AJK CD at one time and to my ears it sounded a bit "thinner" sounding, maybe a bit more trebly, but pretty close to the Bedrock. To my ears the Bedrock sounds fuller. If I remember, AJK I think was a division of Ktel Records, and I think I had read somewhere it was a transfer directly from the LP, and not authorized. The Bedrock CDs were authorized and included a reproduction of the full album artwork and liner notes. For some reason they threw on a bonus track on the debut album CD that was from a later incarnation of the band, which was a bit odd.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 11-06-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Yes, my CD does mention KTEL, which always seemed odd. Looks official, not like a boot, but you never know. There are no scratches or tics or pops on my CD, so I never suspected it came from vinyl. I seem to remember my original LP lacking presence, too, so I thought nothing of it when I first heard the CD. I'll look for the Bedrock version, thanks. It may be an upgrade.

Is that the big thick hardcover book about KSHE's history? If so I did buy it a number of years ago, some great photos in there. Funny you should mention KSHE DJs and Ulett, just this past week I went to the "premier" of a documentary made about the history of the station shown at the Moolah Theater, as KSHE is celebrating 50 years as a rock station this week. Ron Stevens produced the documentary called Never Say Goodbye, and its packed with tales from the early jocks from the 60s and 70s and how they ran that station by the seat of their pants and winged it most of the time, and the freedom they had in playing music etc.(including the long cuts from those Gypsy albums--Owl Walsh is also interviewed in the doc). Bunch of really funny stories, a lot of the old KSHE DJs from that era were there, Close, Kolander etc. Spoke with a few after including Stevens. The documentary reminded me a lot of the one about Tower Records called All Things Must Pass, which is fascinating.
    yeah, that's the one. it's pricey but a great book nonetheless. lot of great stories and history. it's much more than just a book about KSHE, like the Fleetwood Mac/Ambrosia story for example. Ron is a legend for sure. if you could spend a whole evening with any one of em, I can only imagine. I met Ulett at a ballgame several years ago and had a very engaging conversation about the Cards. I didn't get an opportunity to bring up anything about music but had the surroundings been different, I'm sure he would have appeased me.

going through some Gypsy related stuff, here's an article written by Frank Gutch Jr. about the band highlighted by an interview with Randy Cates. it sheds more light on their relatively unknown story...a good read
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Interesting interview of Cates. It will always remain confounding to me (and I know it is to the band) that they did not have more popularity and commercial success given how good those first 2 albums are. And I don't even mean the "big hit single" type of success. The headscratcher to me is, as the article alludes to, how a band that opened up big shows for so many popular bands like Poco, Allman Bros, Chicago, King Crimson etc, who played Fillmore East and West on large bills, Atlanta Pop Festival, who toured for about 2 years with The Guess Who, would not have gained a more widespread national appeal. How could a band this good been limited to pockets of regional popularity in the midwest? Why did they not gain popularity in Chicago for instance, why was there no FM station there championing their cause there like KSHE? There is no doubt this Metromedia label was an absolute failure from a marketing perspective, and many people must have dropped the ball, but all you have to do is look at what KSHE did for them in the StL to see that if people heard the music they would become intense loyal fans. Just a mindboggler to me.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Yes, my CD does mention KTEL, which always seemed odd. Looks official, not like a boot, but you never know. There are no scratches or tics or pops on my CD, so I never suspected it came from vinyl. I seem to remember my original LP lacking presence, too, so I thought nothing of it when I first heard the CD. I'll look for the Bedrock version, thanks. It may be an upgrade.
    You piqued my curiousity, so I checked my cd collection and I actually still do have the debut album AJK version. Not only was it distributed by KTEL, on the back it contains the Cognito Records copyright, not Metromedia. Cognito was a label that reissued the debut on LP in 1979. It does contain what appears to be a copy of the foldout inside cover photo and credits, as well as the back photo, but it looks like a copy taken from the LP. No info on the CD rights or mastering etc. It is a silver CD, so its not a CDR, but I always suspected it was a "grey market" release at the very least. I know the record store owner who released the Gypsy albums on CD on the Bedrock label, and I am pretty sure it was her that told me that the Bedrock CDs were authorized by the band and Walsh in particular and the prior CD release(s) were not.

The Bedrock release contains the same album gatefold inside photos and album credits as well as the back photo, but also contains a 4 page booklet of band history detailing their Metromedia years and more photos. The CD liner notes say "Reissue Supervision by James Walsh and Tom Danford" and says it was digitally remastered for compact disc etc. The Bedrock CD only refers to the Metromedia release, not the Cognito. So at the very least, that release had Walsh's involvement and authorization.

The biggest difference is the sound. My listening remembrance was right--just playing the first part of Gypsy Queen you can immediately tell the difference in how the drums sound. On the AJK, they are a bit thinner, not as full and dynamic. On the Bedrock CD, the drums jump out and are much crisper, fuller and dynamic. I don't know if that is a difference in mastering, or a difference in the source tapes used for the transfers, but the difference is noticeable to me. Bedrock may have gotten permission to use the original Metromedia source tapes, I wish I knew. I should have asked Dave Mueller, who I just saw and talked with at the concert Sat night, and who is "Mr. Gypsy"--he is the official Gypsy archivist, helped produce the band history DVD, and has collected every known piece of anything Gypsy related ever released. He would know the history of the album and CD releases for sure.

I do know there are also Gypsy album CD releases on a Walhalla label and I am positive those are boots or just copies of the album. So those of you looking for releases on Amazon or Ebay, be careful out there!

By the way, might as well post the band's website link where you can purchase DVDs and CDs from their store etc..

http://www.gypsy-queen.net/indexframe.html

Thanks, Doc! Just checked Amazon... Ouch! $75.00 for the first album remastered CD on Bedrock...

I've had In The Garden since the 70's - which is probably the last time I played it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I've had In The Garden since the 70's - which is probably the last time I played it...
    I can't even fathom going multiple decades without hearing gems like Around You, Blind Man, and the sublime As Far as You Can See....I guess I am not cut out for voluntary deprivation of musical pleasure as a lifestyle choice.