Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Kaye will guest on Yes's 50th Anniversary Tour

Tony Kaye will guest on Yes's 50th Anniversary Tour

YesOfficial just tweeted:

"TONY KAYE, founder member of YES is Special Guest for the band's 2018 #YES50 50th Anniversary, starting on http://cruisetotheedge.com Feb 3-8"

I'm actually happy about that. I'm guessing Sherwood championed bringing him along, and it does make the event a little more "special." I'll be curious to hear people's reviews!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So it'll be Downes and Tony Kaye?

I think it is kind of cool too.

Glad to hear that Tony's feeling well enough for some live gigs!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Looking forward to how the "cover band" arguments will play out with both Yesses having one original member, two members of the Yessongs lineup and two members of the 90125 lineup.

I won't belabor the point and tell a story that I've recounted here more than once, but suffice it to say that an experience years ago in Mexicali in 2008 made me appreciate what a beautiful man Tony is and at the same time what a tactless idiot Sherwood is.

If you haven't heard the story and won't rest until you hear it, PM me and I'll tell you, but I don't want to bore people who've heard it on the 2 or 3 occasions I've posted about it in relevant treads over the last 9 years.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Tony is a class act and this is a classy move, perhaps Moraz is next.

I was hoping for something like this. On another thread I had suggested having Kaye as a special guest. I also was hoping for Moraz (back when Relayer was being bandied about for live shows) and possibly Horn. But yeah - I am pretty thrilled about this.

I'd imagine he will be doing lots of organ as that seems to be his main thing. This should be interesting for those aboard.

I think it's a great idea.....maybe they can beg/plead/bribe Bruford to do the same for a few gigs for the 50th anni.
    G.A.S -aholic

I think it is a great idea too. I love Kaye's playing on the first 3 Yes albums. He will complement Downes very well.

On the first ARW thread we had, I had suggested they enlist Kaye as a 2nd keyboardist. Legitimacy and all that, and the fact that I just like him. They missed the opportunity.

At the very least, now Brian Lane can't trot out the "we have one original member. you have zero. nyah nyah na boo boo" argument.

Very cool news!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Might even get me to see that lineup!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Now this band has:

1) an original member
    2) someone in it who's played on each Yes album
    3) three Hall-Of-Famers
    4) an equal claim to legitimacy

Very smart move. Very smart indeed. Now if Bruford could be persuaded out of retirement...

(...he'd be playing with Robert Fripp.)
    The Prog Corner

I'm a big Bruford fan, but fantasizing about that is a waste of time:
    -- he is thoroughly and irreversibly retired
    -- he openly disliked playing "the old stuff", with increasing intensity from about 1990 onward
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

A "guest" sounds like he'll play on a song or two, like Alan White. Or Chuck Panozzo.

Yes, keep the legitimacy teetering, because we flip flop from saying "who cares who's in the band, I'm in it for the music!" to "we've got 3 RRHOF members!"

I'm not Kaye's biggest fan, as a musician, but I've always respected his place in the band's history and have always heard about what a gentleman he is. So, it's good to hear that his health is allowing for this, and it's nice that they made some room for him, regardless of their motivations.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I won't belabor the point and tell a story that I've recounted here more than once, but suffice it to say that an experience years ago in Mexicali in 2008 made me appreciate what a beautiful man Tony is and at the same time what a tactless idiot Sherwood is.

If you haven't heard the story and won't rest until you hear it, PM me and I'll tell you, but I don't want to bore people who've heard it on the 2 or 3 occasions I've posted about it in relevant treads over the last 9 years.
    We all know that Sherwood is a whiny asshole

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I think it's a great idea.....maybe they can beg/plead/bribe Bruford to do the same for a few gigs for the 50th anni.
    Yeah, Bruford, Alan White, and Jay Schellen doing a drum trio thing would be very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Since we have stuff like the below, please re-post

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    We all know that Sherwood is a whiny asshole

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, Bruford, Alan White, and Jay Schellen doing a drum trio thing would be very cool.
    get Patrick moraz and they could have a three drummer three keyboard lineup and out-crimson king crimson when it comes to members on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Since we have stuff like the below, please re-post
    Yes! Those that have heard it before can skip it.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Nice move, and I have a feeling Geoff won't mind sharing the burden.

Now if they pull out some old chestnuts like "The Prophet" or "Looking Around" that would be extra awesome.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Let me reiterate: if you're curious why my opinion of BS (perfect initials for the a**h*le) is so high, PM me.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman