Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Mice - Send Me a Postcard

3 Mice - Send Me a Postcard

I just saw this album was on bandcamp so revisited after more then 5 years
    Unlike most albums I worked on I was actually able to sit down and simply enjoy

An effervescent, sonically adventurous transatlantic collaboration between America's Dave Willey (Hamster Theatre) and Elaine di Falco (Hughscore) and Switzerland's Cédric Vuille (L'Ensemble Rayé). (mixed and mastered by Udi Koomran), for an intelligent and melodic record of mostly sublime instrumental music.

https://3mice.bandcamp.com/album/send-me-a-postcard

Wonderfull album. I still play it regulary.

Quite accessible folky stuff that can be enjoyed by a wide audience. Wish they would do a follow-up.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Huge fan of this one, wonderfully warm folky stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Quite accessible folky stuff that can be enjoyed by a wide audience.
    One of the assets shared by Willey and Vuille [no pun] and which made it all the more exhilarating to see them join forces, is the ability to render (sometimes) fiercely demanding and/or challenging stuff wholly accessible and listenable. Vuille was an expert at this back in his days with L'Ensemble Rayé, and I believe he (as well as Rossell, Hollmer et al.) influenced Willey quite a bit. Yet it's still 'avant'!

You did a splendid job on this one, Udi - just like always.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Monday Morning Hello ~ Musicers!

Yes-sirs .... I quite enjoy this release. Perhaps a good time to state that I have a lot of appreciation for the output and involvements of Mr. Willey! He doesn't get talked about as much as perhaps he has 'earned' ??

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    I have a lot of appreciation for the output and involvements of Mr. Willey! He doesn't get talked about as much as perhaps has 'earned'?
    While Hamster Theatre are/were excellent, Willey's Immeasurable Currents release from 2011 is outstandingly brilliant. One of the very finest additions to the 'art-song' book so far this millennium - IMHO.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While Hamster Theatre are/were excellent, Willey's Immeasurable Currents release from 2011 is outstandingly brilliant. One of the very finest additions to the 'art-song' book so far this millennium - IMHO.
    Agree. An absolutely sensational album that everyone should hear.

I am so proud to have masterminded this
    I was on tour with Thinking Plague and knowing how much Dave loves this type of Europe genre I invited Cedric to the show and introduced him to Dave & Elaine
    the rest took care of its self heh heh
    and the story how I became friends with mr. Vuille is also very nice

Thanks for the pointer. The most cheerful stuff I've heard in a while. And I did like the sound... gives a real "you are here" feel.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    And I did like the sound... gives a real "you are here" feel.
    Honestly that is the best compliment you could ever give me !
    I am constantly chasing that presence and sense of proximity - that is my benchmark yet its so elusive

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I pretty much enjoy 3 Mice and Immeasurable Currents equally, it's a gorgeous album.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

- The best thing about 3 Mice is that it's avant yet not too avant; simply just exactly sufficient in avantness to appeal to those who are in a position to judge good from bad avant without actually knowing too much about it (because you don't need to, as the blueprint lies in "objective" art theory). Although there are indeed several direct 5UU's Hunger's Teeth (bad avant) member connections, that doesn't mean that it reproduces those unacceptably avant traits which makes something bad avant as opposed to good avant. Whereas Hunger's Teeth was recently taken completely apart by someone with immense (i.e. no) avant knowledge - just like Trout Mask Replica (avant!) and a band like Can (avant!) have long since been revealed by singular-voice opinions as products of an Emperor's New Clothes-dynamic of faux logic (although art history for strange reasons sees these names differently) - everything defines from the self and what he/she decides upon understanding and meaning, especially when it comes to avant. It's obviously not because the subject doesn't know or 'get' avant (that would be a condescending assumption), it's that the avant doesn't know or 'get' its role and mandate and limitations when confronted with the subject. Which is to appeal without too much coming in the way in the form of being overly avant.

I want to go on record as approving of this title as good avant (versus bad avant). It's very important that people take note of how I went on record to do so. Very avantly important and import-vant. For future reference when I come out to bear witness and draw judgement.

Quote from Judge Anthony (Ant) Dredd Trabant, Your humble servant. Not informed in any way by Immanuel Kant.

It's just SO good in every way. Dave and company hit it out of the park on this one, i think
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Another completely charming album that should appeal to folks who love the more acoustic-based 'avant/progressive-yet-tuneful' stylings of L'Ensemble Raye, Feliu i Joan-Albert, 3 Mice, etc. This has definite Italian as well as South American folk influences and has ties to the very fine Calomito.

https://aparecidos.bandcamp.com/albu...-bombon-helado

^ Yes, that's one of the most overlooked releases in the entire AltrOck roster, IMHO.

I do like that one a lot.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Another completely charming album that should appeal to folks who love the more acoustic-based 'avant/progressive-yet-tuneful' stylings of L'Ensemble Raye, Feliu i Joan-Albert, 3 Mice, etc. This has definite Italian as well as South American folk influences and has ties to the very fine Calomito.

https://aparecidos.bandcamp.com/albu...-bombon-helado
    Excellent music.I want it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Do it, Walt. Dave is one of the unsong heroes of avant-rock, imho. And his co-horts on this are all brilliant especially Lainey and Deborah. A fabulous record
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Aparicedos is on the way to Chez Walt,via Wayside/USPS.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I gotsta hear this........
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I gotsta hear this........
    Why?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Why?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
    Why not?

This whole school of ultra-quirky avant-progressive jolly folk deserves its own thread. Perhaps this should be it? At least it prompted me to pull out my stash of Conventum, L'Ensemble Rayé, Nimal, Die Knödel, Von Zamla, Archimedes Badkar, Hamster Theatre, Begnagrad, Aparecidos, Book of Knots, Las Orejas Y la Lengua and that whole post-Hermeto/Egberto wave of Brazilian songlore as well. Music to lighten up a spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Quite accessible folky stuff that can be enjoyed by a wide audience.
    Well I guess I qualify. I'm fairly wide.