Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankensnow!

We and about two inches of rain yesterday. The weather started out beautiful. Early on, I was sweating. By mid afternoon, as I was sitting on the porch reading, the temps started to drop, first, forcing me to put on a sweatshirt, then forcing me back in the house. It was snowing this afternoon as I drove my daughter into Pittsburgh for school.

Tomorrow's high will be thirty-fucking-eight degrees.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That NY rain has now arrived in Boston, it's been pouring all day and only seems to be getting heavier.
    Aren't they running a marathon today in that?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They ran the marathon, bunch of drowned rats jogging 26 miles, lunacy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Rain/snow mix tomorrow on the western steppes. It.Never.Fucking.Ends.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Snowing right now north of Pittsburgh.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Twelves days until May and we get this.

april-19-2018.jpg

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This was the only snow-event thread I could find.

I hope our PE members in the Carolinas and parts further south weather the current storm well. I imagine the ProgDay field will soon be covered with a blanket of white. Hopefully people don't lose power, but the news folk are all over this one. Stay safe!

We got hit with two days of sleet and rain last weekend. The shit is just started to melt. The main highways are in fine shape but auxiliary roads are utter shit and will be slow to recover. Nothing like sliding sideways with a fifteen ton school bus to wake you up.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This was the only snow-event thread I could find.

I hope our PE members in the Carolinas and parts further south weather the current storm well. I imagine the ProgDay field will soon be covered with a blanket of white. Hopefully people don't lose power, but the news folk are all over this one. Stay safe!
    Looking out my back door, about 2 1/2 hours SW from the field in Huntersville NC , mostly freezing rain & sleet at the moment..20181209_121350.jpg

Bracing for a load of the White Stuff! Probably not a true Frankensnow (Snowbomb or whatever they call them), but probably just a decent amount of snow. Should be pretty anyway!

And my son was supposed to be back in school tomorrow after having COVID-19! Looks like he gets another day or two of quarantine.

EDIT: The Snow Day Calculator says 99% chance of a school snow-day for Monday AND Tuesday. Of course, in the age of COVID-19 this probably means remote learning, not No School
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-31-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We've only had two dumps of snow this year. Highly unusual - no snow at Christmas. I'm not a winter fan so this is fine by me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    We've only had two dumps of snow this year. Highly unusual - no snow at Christmas. I'm not a winter fan so this is fine by me.
    We had our first significant snowfall on Christmas Day. Just hours away from a green Christmas. It melted within days. And then we were pretty green until last week when we got a few inches. It's supposed to go up to plus temperatures later this week, so I'm hoping it gets warm enough to to melt some snow since we never got around to shovelling our driveway last week.

If this winter has sucked because of Covid, at least it's been mild so far. Like you, I'm not a winter fan.

We've had little snow until tonight, but it's been cold this past few days, getting down to around 15 degrees Fahrenheit or a little less at night. It could be worse, but I don't like snow and cold either! My blind kitty insists that I take him outdoors for a while each day, no matter how cold it is!

enoch.jpg

My blind kitty insists that I take him outdoors for a while each day, no matter how cold it is!

enoch.jpg
    He's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    He's beautiful!
    Thank you! He's my big success story of 2020. He only went blind about two-three years ago, and when I realized that, I also realized his quality of life was suffering. One of the other cats had started bullying him some, and he was afraid of him. But he's really smart, with a great ability to memorize the layout of the house and get around, so I paid a lot of attention to him, and sort of acted as his "aid," made sure he got to eat where and when he felt safe, etc. So now he's my buddy, and we hang out outside for a while every day, which he loves. He's always asking for me to take let him out, so I stay with him, and he stays by me and sits on my knee. He knows he's safe (we don't let any other cats out very often), so he really relaxes and has fun.

I like to brag about him - he's a good hunter, and has caught two small Garter snakes and a couple of Voles. I actually try to protect the wildlife from him, but he's occasionally been too fast. And yet he's blind - he has good hearing! His name is Enoch.

Thank you! He's my big success story of 2020. He only went blind about two-three years ago, and when I realized that, I also realized his quality of life was suffering. One of the other cats had started bullying him some, and he was afraid of him. But he's really smart, with a great ability to memorize the layout of the house and get around, so I paid a lot of attention to him, and sort of acted as his "aid," made sure he got to eat where and when he felt safe, etc. So now he's my buddy, and we hang out outside for a while every day, which he loves. He's always asking for me to take let him out, so I stay with him, and he stays by me and sits on my knee. He knows he's safe (we don't let any other cats out very often), so he really relaxes and has fun.

I like to brag about him - he's a good hunter, and has caught two small Garter snakes and a couple of Voles. I actually try to protect the wildlife from him, but he's occasionally been too fast. And yet he's blind - he has good hearing! His name is Enoch.
    This is awesome.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

We only have a few inches. We are still in the midst of a drought that has been going on for a few years. 50% chance of snow tomorrow but I'm not betting on it. I'd love to see a "wrath-of-god" blizzard like we used to get.

We got 3-5 inches, now it's raining.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Looks like we picked the right time to go to Florida, although it is only in the 50's here today, but no snow.

We only have a few inches. We are still in the midst of a drought that has been going on for a few years. 50% chance of snow tomorrow but I'm not betting on it. I'd love to see a "wrath-of-god" blizzard like we used to get.

^ "Wrath-of-god" blizzard currently in progress here in Stamford Ct.

Looks like close to 2 feet when all is said and done.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The eons are closing
    In NNJ - have over 8 so far and not stopping

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    90 minutes into the storm and nothing on the roads here yet --35°F. They say we're going to get over a foot. One time about 5 years ago we had a predicted big storm that never materialized, and I was behind a line of plows on I-95 that had their blades down doing nothing but making sparks. It made me wonder if they had some kind of meter on their trucks that kept track of how much time they spent "plowing" to calculate their pay.