Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    You could make that case with many CDs over the last 30 years. There’s so many that have a killer 40 minutes of music and 20+ minutes of so so music.
    Or in the case of The Flower Kings, you've got about 45 minutes worth good music, and over an hour of futzing around.

I mean, if you've got 75 minutes worth of good music (which seems to happen more in the avant garde or improvisational areas), there's no reason to not put it all out, if you can make it flow well, and not sound overly redundant or repetitive. Like I said, the problem with The DIvision Bell, to me anyway, isn't that there's a lot of "so-so" music, but rather than some of the songs are too similar to each other. I think a couple of those songs maybe should have been dropped (maybe used as B-sides on the singles) and instead they could have used more uptempo music. I think the album could have used more songs like Young Lust or All Lovers Are Deranged.

Of course, one problem you have is, if you're that famous, it's easy to lose objectivity. You pretty much know that no matter what you put it out, there's going to be a segment of the record buying public who are going to eat it up, just because it says "Pink Floyd" on the cover, and you've kinda "done everything you want to" musically, it's hard to know what to do when you've got "nothing to prove". I wonder if Dave passed versions of the album around his friends and associates and said "What do you think? Are there too many ballads on there? Should I change up the feel more from song to song?" or what. Of course, from some stories I've heard, such advice might prove unreliable anyway.

Like I said, I like most of the songs, it's just that all of them together don't quite work as well as the older albums.
    Another album which could have been a fantastic 45 minutes one is Amused to Death...
    Problem is that every person I meet has a different 45 favourite minutes from it.
    If you ask me, it'd have made a great EP, consisting just of the songs that Jeff Beck played on.

I remember when I saw Roger Waters in 1999, the second half of the second set was given over to songs from Amused To Death, and I'm not sure if it was just that I wasn't familiar with the album, or if it was because the actual quality of the music (maybe another pacing issue), I felt like that part of the show dragged miserably. And in fact, come to think, when I watched the DVD from that tour (well, the second leg of the tour, which had a slightly different setlist and band from what I saw on the first leg), it didn't really improve, so maybe it's more the music than the fact that I hadn't really heard most of those songs before.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember when I saw Roger Waters in 1999, the second half of the second set was given over to songs from Amused To Death, and I'm not sure if it was just that I wasn't familiar with the album, or if it was because the actual quality of the music (maybe another pacing issue), I felt like that part of the show dragged miserably.
    I saw him at Earls Court around 2006, and he only played two solo songs, but one of them was the endless slog "Leaving Beirut". I treated it like an intermission, and got a beer. But you had it much worse.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Or in the case of The Flower Kings, you've got about 45 minutes worth good music, and over an hour of futzing around.

I mean, if you've got 75 minutes worth of good music (which seems to happen more in the avant garde or improvisational areas), there's no reason to not put it all out, if you can make it flow well, and not sound overly redundant or repetitive. Like I said, the problem with The DIvision Bell, to me anyway, isn't that there's a lot of "so-so" music, but rather than some of the songs are too similar to each other. I think a couple of those songs maybe should have been dropped (maybe used as B-sides on the singles) and instead they could have used more uptempo music. I think the album could have used more songs like Young Lust or All Lovers Are Deranged.

Of course, one problem you have is, if you're that famous, it's easy to lose objectivity. You pretty much know that no matter what you put it out, there's going to be a segment of the record buying public who are going to eat it up, just because it says "Pink Floyd" on the cover, and you've kinda "done everything you want to" musically, it's hard to know what to do when you've got "nothing to prove". I wonder if Dave passed versions of the album around his friends and associates and said "What do you think? Are there too many ballads on there? Should I change up the feel more from song to song?" or what. Of course, from some stories I've heard, such advice might prove unreliable anyway.

Like I said, I like most of the songs, it's just that all of them together don't quite work as well as the older albums.

If you ask me, it'd have made a great EP, consisting just of the songs that Jeff Beck played on.

I remember when I saw Roger Waters in 1999, the second half of the second set was given over to songs from Amused To Death, and I'm not sure if it was just that I wasn't familiar with the album, or if it was because the actual quality of the music (maybe another pacing issue), I felt like that part of the show dragged miserably. And in fact, come to think, when I watched the DVD from that tour (well, the second leg of the tour, which had a slightly different setlist and band from what I saw on the first leg), it didn't really improve, so maybe it's more the music than the fact that I hadn't really heard most of those songs before.
    In 99 he did 4 songs from ATD, 3 of which are exactly the songs I would have filtered out
    (I like perfect sense)

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    In 99 he did 4 songs from ATD, 3 of which are exactly the songs I would have filtered out
    (I like perfect sense)
    He only did three songs from Amused To Death in Cleveland (which was the fourth date of the tour, according to Wikipedia): What God Wants, Perfect Sense, and It's A Miracle. Maybe it wasn't quite half the set, but the latter two songs seemed to drag on interminably. I'd have kept What God Wants and exchanged the other two songs for more Floyd tunes.

The Baltimore '99 show had What God Wants, Perfect Sense, It's a Miracle and the title track. But we also had Powers that Be and one track from Pros and Cons.

I was very happy to hear the AtD material done live finally, although only It's a Miracle really convinced me. The others felt...stilted compared to the studio versions.

I think it would've helped if the set list had more of the solo material earlier in the evening, rather than building up to it.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

[QUOTE=battema;749651]
    The Baltimore '99 show had What God Wants, Perfect Sense, It's a Miracle and the title track. But we also had Powers that Be and one track from Pros and Cons.
    I don't remember getting Amused To Death itself, but we might have. I know the solo portion of the show began with Every Stranger's Eyes, followed by The Powers That Be before the Amused To Death suite.

I think it would've helped if the set list had more of the solo material earlier in the evening, rather than building up to it.
    If I have my calculations right, he played something like 30-35 minutes solo material, which I suspect was probably completely unfamiliar to most of the audience . Normally, I would applaud such mischief, but I really think it this case it was a mistake. For one, you don't want to do something like that, late into a show like that. I'm sure a lot of people in the crowd each night were thinking, "When's he going to go back to playing Floyd songs?!". He should have done one or maybe two early in the show, say right after the block of songs from The Wall that opened the set, and then I would have paired down the Amused To Death suite to just one or two songs, preferably totaling no more than 15 minutes, if not less, and I'd have done more Floyd tunes.

Also, if one really had to play something from Radio KAOS, I still say Radio Waves would have been the best bet. It was the single, and it's a jaunty uptempo song that I think would have changed things up nicely. It would worked good after Mother. Obviously, though he must have felt it really wasn't necessary because henixed The Powers That Be for the second leg of the tour, and didn't replace it with anything else.

And finally, if I was Roger Waters, I would have 86ed the whole thing of walking around the stage, gesturing at the audience like you were expecting them to launch into an audience participation thing, during Perfect Sense. First of all, dude, you're not Freddie Mercury, you don't have that kind of command over an audience. That's why you had to resort to inflatable pigs, crashing airplanes, Brobdingnagian marionettes, and film projection. And secondly, you're not gonna get audience participation on a song the audience doesn't know. Period.

The eons are closing
    Man...I never got to see any of AtD. Easily my fave post Animals Floyd related release.

The absence of those tunez on current tour is why I didn't go.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Roger's tour this summer was near perfect with his set list and how things flowed.. with that said the 2-3 new songs he injected into the mix (due mostly to no one in the audience knew them) was like letting the air out of the arena.. folks all around me immediately started talking and milling about to go for drinks / smoke / bathroom.. I'm sure I've experienced the same thing at other shows but this show had everyone so engaged with the music / special effects etc. that it was really noticeable how the dynamics of the crowd changed when he left the familiar Floyd set list.. I give him props for injecting new material into the set list but as others have already pointed out timing is everything.. Compare that with the McCartney show I saw.. he was right up front with the new material reserving the last 3/4 of the show to his classic solo material and of course the Beatle hits.. Paul knows how to work a crowd..

Well, I guess for better or worse it is finally a-comin'!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I don’t know why people have problem with this album. I personally love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree and also with Division Bell, which was a darn good album. What we see here from the naysayers/purists is revisionist musical history. They don't like the 80's sounds that are naturally the product of the times. However, to expect the later PF releases to sound like WYWH or Animals is illogical and goes against the fact that the band was evolving into something different completely.
    It reminds me of some other similar criticisms, such as those of the "cheesy" keyboards in Chick Corea's/Return To Forever output. What are the critics talking about? Those keyboard sounds were hailed as progressive and dynamic at the time. When I hear them now I am still impressed with the sounds that he was able to produce with 70's technology. Trends and technology change over time; but good, enjoyable music has what I like to refer to as "timeless value and endless beauty". To that end, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell have stood the test of time as great, albeit later, PF releases. No need to play Edgar Froese and remove the "sounds of the time" elements just to force an earlier aesthetic (or a later one, for that matter). Like them, or dislike them, as they were meant to be heard.

I love AMLOR and The Division Bell as much as I love Dark Side and WYWH, they are my fave Floyd albums. Add the Thunder and Pulse live albums too and I've got all the Floyd I need.

Not a fan, especially of the drum production. Has a very flat and dull drum sound to my ears. There is also a lack of overall coherency here now, you can tell that this song was "pieced" together.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Not a fan, especially of the drum production. Has a very flat and dull drum sound to my ears. There is also a lack of overall coherency here now, you can tell that this song was "pieced" together.
    well, the 87 Drum sound was so overdrenched in 80s reverb that would of course be the first thing one notices. Odd that they chose to release this song as a preview since it is the one song on the album that sounds like it is a child of the 80s
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    well, the 87 Drum sound was so overdrenched in 80s reverb that would of course be the first thing one notices. Odd that they chose to release this song as a preview since it is the one song on the album that sounds like it is a child of the 80s
    Not a huge fan the original drum sound by any means, but to my ears it is more coherent within the sonic picture and the lesser of two evils. This new snare tone sounds like ass. Mind boggling since these guys could have their prime choice of the world's greatest sound engineers, and this is the best they could do?

I agree that this remix is unimpressive. Maybe it's because I'm an '80s guy, but the original album mix never bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I agree that this remix is unimpressive. Maybe it's because I'm an '80s guy, but the original album mix never bothered me.
    Yep. I think if anything they could have done a better/updated mastering with deeper bass, and maybe some slightly less digital "harshness" EQing, but sonically speaking all of the textures/colors of the instrumentation of the original fit perfectly. I love how they tried to "fix" this problem and the result sounds shittier to my ears. Granted this is just one track, so I will go into the rest of the remix with open ears but so far its 0/1 for me.

I think they should have asked Giles Martin to update it. The bass on his Beatles remasters is stellar.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think they should have asked Giles Martin to update it. The bass on his Beatles remasters is stellar.
    Giles remix of Abbey Road beats all, especially in the bass domain IMO.

What the heck! No no no.. Give me the original album every day of the week. At least that has the sound of it's time and I actually think it somewhat enriches the album. These remixes I simply can't stand to be honest.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    What the heck! No no no.. Give me the original album every day of the week. At least that has the sound of it's time and I actually think it somewhat enriches the album. These remixes I simply can't stand to be honest.
    I’m so sick of complainers who don’t want any production which is different. If that’s how you feel then keep the old and move on love what you have. Why complain at us? We aren’t keeping you from being stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I’m so sick of complainers who don’t want any production which is different. If that’s how you feel then keep the old and move on love what you have. Why complain at us? We aren’t keeping you from being stagnant.
    Sorry to be complaining. I do have open pretty ears and even to today's standards though. I will keep both the old and the new Thank you for your reaction by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I'm so sorry, my friend. Perhaps it will grow on me. I do have very open ears for even newer production values. I will keep both the old and new versions of course and will keep listening to them both. Thanks for your reaction by the way

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'd need to hear more to formulated an opinion. I dig the dry mix.

naturally, I'll put them in the 2 CD players and A/B them back and forth when I get the new mix
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^^^^

Yep, that's the way to really enjoy music