Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Porcupine Tree - I Miss These Guys

I just read a PopMatters interview with Steven Wilson from August 2017 and I was intrigued by the following statement from SW:

"It's no coincidence that since my solo project has taken off, other collaborations have receded to the background. Porcupine Tree hasn't made a record since 2009 and No-Man hasn't made a record since 2008. I feel less need now to be creatively involved in something other than my solo work. My solo work fulfills the musical needs I have now. So by extension, when it comes to other projects I like filling the role of contributor."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but the way he refers to PT and no-man seems to suggest that these projects are not gone for good, just not in focus for now. Perhaps one day he will revisit PT - creating music that is fully collaborative with the three other members which is something he has suggested in the past.

The full interview is here - https://www.popmatters.com/a-special...495382622.html
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Saw this on Amazon and had to upload it to you guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I do miss Porcupine Tree. At least Steven played 5 or 6 PT songs in Montreal last month.

Watching Porcupine Tree - Halo - Arriving Somewhere on Youtube recently and saw the best comment ever:
    God is in my fingers. . .
    God is in my head. . .
    God is at the drum-kit . . .

Obviously a GH fan! As am I. He was (is) a monster on the drum-kit in a live setting.

I first heard PTree in 1998, with The Sky Moves Sideways. I loved it, but I then heard Coma Divine and thought it was too heavy or something (don't remember now, but I was really into ambient space type stuff at the time). Saw PTree perform at Nearfest 2001, and just thought it was okay, didn't make me want to explore. Then around 2008 or so, I heard Recordings and was interested again. At that point, all their stuff suddenly connected with me and I became a fan. Unfortunately for me, their final two albums were not favorites at all, though I do like them both to some extent.

I think his solo career is quite good, and I also still feel that he came full circle with Hand Cannot Erase (honestly, to my ears it seems like the much better follow up to Fear Of A Blank Planet). The latest solo album does nothing for me.

I guess in my case I really don't care if he brings them back, though the steadily increasing amount of PTree songs in his live shows make me wonder if he's not thinking about it more these days.

So what PT songs is he doing live?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So what PT songs is he doing live?
    Here's the set list from Steven's recent show in Montreal:

Set 1:
    Nowhere Now

Play Video
    Pariah

Play Video
    Home Invasion

Play Video
    Regret #9

Play Video
    The Creator Has a Mastertape

(Porcupine Tree song)
    Play Video
    Refuge

Play Video
    People Who Eat Darkness

Play Video
    Ancestral

Play Video
    Set 2:
    Arriving Somewhere but Not Here

(Porcupine Tree song)
    Play Video
    Permanating

Play Video
    Song of I

Play Video
    Lazarus

(Porcupine Tree song)
    Play Video
    Detonation

Play Video
    The Same Asylum as Before

Play Video
    Heartattack in a Layby

(Porcupine Tree song)
    Play Video
    Vermillioncore

Play Video
    Sleep Together

(Porcupine Tree song)
    Play Video

Encore:
    Blackfield

(Blackfield song) (SW on acoustic guitar and Adam Holzman duet)
    Play Video
    Postcard

(SW on acoustic guitar and Adam Holzman duet)
    Play Video
    The Sound of Muzak

(Porcupine Tree song)
    Play Video
    Song of Unborn

For those wishful thinkers is this interview from March this year clear enough for you?

STEVEN WILSON On Why The Chances Of PORCUPINE TREE Reunion Are Zero

https://metalwani.com/2018/03/steven...-are-zero.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    For those wishful thinkers is this interview from March this year clear enough for you?

STEVEN WILSON On Why The Chances Of PORCUPINE TREE Reunion Are Zero

https://metalwani.com/2018/03/steven...-are-zero.html
    Too bad. Yeah SW was the main writer, but the band itself had an incredible chemistry. Excellent musicians that really jelled. Oh well...maybe as time marches forward Wilson will enter the nostalgia factory and do like Fripp did with King Crimson. Ah only a pipe dream
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I played PT's Deadwing on my morning walk and yes, that chemistry is palatable.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't get it nor care. SW's solo now. He probably always will be. PT was more him with hired studio guns. And that's not to discredit anyone IN that band. i personally could see GH making appearances in his solo career. i don't see the big deal with the other two though honestly save maybe Barbieri's tenure in Japan.