Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JUST RE-UPPED MY PE DONATION, HAVE YOU?

JUST RE-UPPED MY PE DONATION, HAVE YOU?

Just renewed my PE donation...HAVE YOU????
    While reading posts, I notice ALOT of folks post often, but have not made a financial contribution to PE...?????....I'm in a ornery mood today so I hope this raises some eyebrows...
    Last edited by beano; 02-07-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    While reading posts, I notice ALOT of folks post often, but have not made a financial contribution to PE...?????....I'm in a ornery mood today so I hope this raises some eyebrows...
    Here's a new PE Donation slogan: "I've upped my donation so up yours".

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think this is a valuable post. Why should members who always donate subsidize those who don't? Now, let me quality, if you're on a fixed income, unemployed, or have no cash at your fingertips, that's perfectly understandable.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Its none of your business
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't see a star under YOUR name.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I donated again last month and will happily do so in the near AND distant future. This is a musical oasis for me - to actually get to ramble on and on about prog to people who not only will listen but understand and agree with me (or disagree with me)? Fantastic. I love this place. I can't give thousands of dollars but I can certainly do my part. Cheers!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

As soon as I'm working, I will help to bankroll this place again.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Here's a new PE Donation slogan: "I've upped my donation so up yours".
    Now, that's the spirit of Progressive Ears!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I donated again last month and will happily do so in the near AND distant future. This is a musical oasis for me - to actually get to ramble on and on about prog to people who not only will listen but understand and agree with me (or disagree with me)? Fantastic. I love this place. I can't give thousands of dollars but I can certainly do my part. Cheers!
    I feel exactly the same way, I just re-upped my donation. I have absolutely no problem with people in different situations not being able to donate. Pretty much everyone here adds to the vibrancy of the place. It's the first place I log onto in the morning and last place I check at night.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, it's there now, but it wasn't there when the post first appeared. Unusual for there not to have been one unless it had been a LONG time since your previous donation.

Sorry I hate threads like this...you may have good intent but the delivery sucks...

So, Mr. Big Shot, How much have u donated. When was the last time u donated...This isn't facebook or fox news, I come here to get away from people like you...

Ive asked this question on old PE several times and never got an answer. Is Paypal the only option for donating?

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    So, Mr. Big Shot, How much have u donated. When was the last time u donated...This isn't facebook or fox news, I come here to get away from people like you...
    people donate $ to fb and fox news? wow, that's odd. I'd love to be able to put a PE donation on the list of monthly bills my wife pays... actually, I'll ask her about doing that. This song sums up my thoughts on things (caution-this is not prog ):

Last edited by davis; 02-08-2013 at 10:42 AM.

I've never donated, because I'm an unemployed college student. When I DO get extra cash, I spend it wisely on music and then discuss it on here! However, when I get a steady job, I'll make a donation to PE.

Jefferson James
    As far as I'm aware donating to help support the site is voluntary and is in no way a requirement to hang out here. I donate 'cause I'm able to but it's not something I'd feel comfortable dangling over everyone's heads as if it were some major philanthropic gesture ala the Arthur Vining Davis Foundation.

Ah, I know I gave Beano grief for being heavy handed, but what the heck - he was just trying to drum up support for PE - a worthy cause we can all agree. So I withdraw my comments. I don't really approve of members drumming up support this way ( I prefer the professional and courtious reminder we got from Duncan), but whatever - why should we argue over this? Maybe the mods want to make this a forbidden topic too. It's like passing the plate at church - it should probably be private. CTTOI, maybe the stars aren't a good idea. Whatever...

I think the stars are fine. But their existence makes threads like this overbearing.

When you donate, you get a star. You don't need to start a "look at me!" thread.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I have donated twice, but I don't think it was enough to get a star. I don't care about getting a star though, only about helping out - or the good feeling I get when I do donate. the OP came across to me like playful bullying or roughhousing. I stopped letting anyone push me around a long time ago. But if I may paraphrase from a Beatles song that just popped into my head, "I will donate, I will donate, Beano, just as soon as I am able."

ahhh, that felt good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think the stars are fine. But their existence makes threads like this overbearing.

When you donate, you get a star. You don't need to start a "look at me!" thread.
    QFT. Not to mention an "I'm in an ornery mood" thread. Yeah, when you're in a bad mood, the absolute best thing to do is certainly to go on a website and piss off a bunch of people who have nothing to do with your ornery mood. Because being an internet tough guy makes one cool.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I don't have the money at this time. Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

Banned
    The last time I gave $25 to the Red Cross, I called my local Bucks County newspaper so they could write up a story on me. I felt really good to give.

For the record, no one is ever obligated to give. It's only a choice and if you can't afford it or chose not to that is totally cool. We love you all the same.

And if you have, THANK YOU! Donations like yours keep PE running and are much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    For the record, no one is ever obligated to give. It's only a choice and if you can't afford it or chose not to that is totally cool. We love you all the same.
    Thanks, Sean.

Just to repeat Sean's sentiment - ALL donations are deeply and humbly appreciated. But if you can't do it, no problem - we 'get it'.

This system allows us to grant extra system functions to donors. We have decided not to use that capability. All users have equal access to all system functions.

Ok, it's there now, but it wasn't there when the post first appeared. Unusual for there not to have been one unless it had been a LONG time since your previous donation.
    When you donate via the "Donate" button, the star appears immediately and automatically. If you donate directly through PayPal (because you're donating an amount other than $25, or because you want to use your credit card, then I have to allocate the star manually - which usually happens within a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Ive asked this question on old PE several times and never got an answer. Is Paypal the only option for donating?
    Yes - and no. You can go to Paypal and use their service to donate directly with a credit card. I.e. PayPal will not be connected to your bank. It does require you to create an account though.

Alternatively if you PM us, we'll be happy to provide a mailing address for checks - which we will deposit into the account and we'll allocate the 'star'.

...maybe the stars aren't a good idea. Whatever...
    The admins have had this discussion many times and there's no clear answer. We did, however, remove the blue / silver / gold star grading. Tiny donations and huge donations get a star. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I have donated twice, but I don't think it was enough to get a star...
    ANY person who had made a donation within the past year (on the old system or the new) should have a star. If your donation on the old system ran out within the last 2 months, you should have received a PM from "Admin". If anyone believes the star should be on their profile but is missing, PM me and I'll investigate. The carry-over from the old system was done manually and I may well have screwed some up.
    Regards,

Duncan