Thread: Steve Howe's - "The Les Paul" for sale on Reverb

Steve Howe's - "The Les Paul" for sale on Reverb

Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 10-17-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    G.A.S -aholic

Sadly your Youtube links don't work, so this guy looks like he's selling it after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La2u66QNt5E&t=1s

I could see spending $30K on a '52 Black Guard Tele, but not a '76 Les Paul. Just because Steve Howe owned it?!? Give me a break!!!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

You think for $30,000 he could throw in the shipping for free.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I could see spending $30K on a '52 Black Guard Tele, but not a '76 Les Paul. Just because Steve Howe owned it?!? Give me a break!!!

To be fair, it's no ordinary mid-70s Les Paul, regardless of the artist connection. THE Les Paul was a very limited edition model, hand built by Gibson's finest luthiers our of the very best materials available - and everything bar the electrics, bridge and machine heads is made out of wood. These guitars would be worth a fortune without the artist connection, but this guitar was used on a bunch of well-known Yes tracks, and extensively live from at least the Tormato tour through to relatively recently, so it's probably just about worth it to a serious collector and/or Yes nut with more money than sense. Btw, this guitar is also legendarily heavy!!

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    To be fair, it's no ordinary mid-70s Les Paul, regardless of the artist connection. THE Les Paul was a very limited edition model, hand built by Gibson's finest luthiers our of the very best materials available - and everything bar the electrics, bridge and machine heads is made out of wood. These guitars would be worth a fortune without the artist connection, but this guitar was used on a bunch of well-known Yes tracks, and extensively live from at least the Tormato tour through to relatively recently, so it's probably just about worth it to a serious collector and/or Yes nut with more money than sense. Btw, this guitar is also legendarily heavy!!
    Yeah, as I understand it, the body is made entirely from maple, so it's going to be very heavy. Steve said he had to keep a chair handy in the studio if he was using that guitar because he knew he'd not be able to stand with it strapped on for very long.

If I had 30 grand, I'd definitely go for it. The Les Paul is one of the models I've always wanted, yes, and this particular guitar is one I've long coveted.

But really, if I was gonna buy one of Steve's guitars, the one I'd really like to have his Telecaster, but something tells me he's going to be selling that one any time soon.

Nope nope nope nope. That is an insane price for a guitar that sounds no better, most likely than something you find at GC.

The only thing that’s a bigger rip off is same amount or more for one of those 1950s and 60s fender planks —factory made assembly line guitars that now take Fender 3 1/2 hours to make absolute start to absolute finish .

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Nope nope nope nope. That is an insane price for a guitar that sounds no better, most likely than something you find at GC.

Yeah, but none of those guitars you find at Guitar Center (I'm assuming that's what "GC" is) were owned by Steve Howe. Also, in this instance, you won't have to go hunting for a Guitar Center salesperson if you want to buy the instrument, which is a chronic problem at the one in my area.

Is this price any more ridiculous than the figures that were paid for Clapton's Blackie and Brownie Strats, or Hendrix's Woodstock Strat, or Jerry Garcia's Doug Irwin guitars or any other celebrities guitars that have been sold at auction? If I remember correctly, those guitars each went for seven figures!

Does anyone know what type guitar that Howe plays occasionally that looks like a jazz semi-hollow body?

If you're referring to this one, it's his signature Gibson ES-175.

stevehowe1.jpg

He's also used a Gibson Switchmaster and ES-335, so its hard to say which one you're referring to. But the 175 is the guitar he's most associated with.

Bill

Jimi Hendrix’s Fuzz Face sells for $40,625

http://www.musicradar.com/news/jimi-...ells-for-40625

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    If you're referring to this one, it's his signature Gibson ES-175.

stevehowe1.jpg

He's also used a Gibson Switchmaster and ES-335, so its hard to say which one you're referring to. But the 175 is the guitar he's most associated with.

Bill
    Yeah, that's it. Thanks. Good to know about the others as well. I used to have a Gibson stereo 345, and sold it, wish I had not.